Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2170225 times)

alan

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #375 on: 24 January, 2009, 05:11:48 am »
.A computer & Ortlieb bar bag are to be fitted to the bars.

Done this last night

alan

« Reply #376 on: 25 January, 2009, 11:21:23 am »
The brakes on the Longstaff.
That's an improvement but they are not as good as I want them to be so I will put some new Koolstops on.

« Reply #377 on: 25 January, 2009, 05:59:25 pm »
Both bikes were washed.  Then I did This to the MonstaThorn.

« Reply #378 on: 25 January, 2009, 06:31:54 pm »
front and rear mech, brakes, bars, levers and 2 out of 4 cables installed on the timetrial bike.

it's slightly botched, as it turns out the cheap steel frame I bought has some screw-adjustors snapped off in the braze-on cable stops, so I couldnt quite install it all properly but it seems to be working OK so far...

Chris S

« Reply #379 on: 25 January, 2009, 06:35:56 pm »
Put the back wheel back on the geared Audax bike - with a shiny new rim c/o Mick Madgett after the old one developed a nasty split.

Made sure the Pomp is ready for next weekend's Willy Warmer.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #380 on: 25 January, 2009, 07:43:41 pm »
Not on the bike, but I fettled a better beamer for the flash gun.. Gives me an extra 2 stops at 30+m.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #381 on: 31 January, 2009, 04:44:20 pm »
Put a new cassette on my road bike, cleaned the chain and the rest of the drive train.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #382 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:02:48 pm »
Replaced the drivetrain on my daughters bicycle. New cassette, new chainrings and cranks, new pedals and new chain. Much better  :)
Should improve her commute no end...

gordon taylor

« Reply #383 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:35:34 pm »
Moved the brake levers to a higher, more comfortable position on the trike, and put some new (white  8)) bar tape on.

However, I forgot that I was going to fit a cross-top lever too. Phooey, I don't want to undo all the tape and stuff, so will probably leave it to the next time.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #384 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:38:33 pm »
I've been getting my new PC to work. It's now 5 days old and already on its second graphics card, first one was DOA. Now I've got it going I'm feeling quite chuffed with myself. The speed compared to my old one is unbelievable. :thumbsup:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #385 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:41:47 pm »
I replaced the axle in my commuting bike with a solid axle.  The QR simply didn't stay tight, and - since it is fixed - the chain was very, very slack.

« Reply #386 on: 31 January, 2009, 11:36:07 pm »
Bottom bracket, again.  I forget to fit one of the spacers.
Re-aligned the rear brakes too.
Removed and refitted the front dérailleur and indexed it again.  Even touched the tricky limit screws  ;D spawn of Satan.  :demon:

JJ

« Reply #387 on: 01 February, 2009, 12:30:59 am »
4 socks, 1 pr childs tights (holes darned), 1 washing machine (unblocked), 1 set of shelves (put up) and a web site (my first ever, functional rather than elegant ).  What an exciting life I do lead.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #388 on: 01 February, 2009, 04:41:45 pm »
Straightened rim edges of a disused BMX wheel (what do they do to them?) and cleaned & greased bearings. The Twenty will be going singlespeed when I can figure out what to do to get a 14mm axle in the dropouts. Have another back wheel to go in the front end...

« Reply #389 on: 01 February, 2009, 04:42:40 pm »
Washed MonstaThorn and replaced rear brake casing.  Installed new Lumicycle frame battery and rear light to replace Dinotte that is going back to On-One, again !!!  >:(

« Reply #390 on: 01 February, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »
My old Marin MTB hack was returned to me from the guy who borrowed it off me "to get to work for a few weeks". Must be a couple of years now.

I had to clean it of course. Looks like he's had a little knock somewhere, the rack and rear mudguard are all bent. Took those off, removed what was left of the front 'guard. Cleaned it all up. I've got a cassette and chain ready to go on it but I'm going to put those on next week, in case I decide to use it as a "snow bike" tomorrow. I probably won't, I expect I'll use the 'cross bike and do it off-road.

The headset's proper shagged, but that's one thing I can't do myself.

Cleaned the 'cross bike again. I'll be glad when the season's finished (next weekend for me) so I can have a break from that.

simonp

« Reply #391 on: 01 February, 2009, 08:45:33 pm »
Just cleaned my Yukon.

Outside.  In the snow.  Brr!

Chris S

« Reply #392 on: 01 February, 2009, 08:56:50 pm »
Just cleaned my Yukon.

Were you on the Willy Warmer yesterday? If so, how come I didn't see you?

simonp

« Reply #393 on: 02 February, 2009, 03:43:47 pm »
Just cleaned my Yukon.

Were you on the Willy Warmer yesterday? If so, how come I didn't see you?

I was in disguisen't.  The last Audax I did was the Norfolk B Roads.  Then I borked my knee (playing football is probably the main culprit but I also have biomechanical issues with walking and cycling it seems).  I haven't used that bike since the B Roads and haven't been arsed to remove the layers of filth accumulated on that plus a November DIY 200k.  The main reason I've not used that bike is I nicked the front wheel for my Galaxy as its SON is in need of repair.  Now that wheel is on the fixie.

I wanted to use the turbo last night, so went to get the bike and put another front wheel on.  When I brought it inside and looked at the state of it, I decided I would have to clean it, so back out into the snow.  There were nice days I could've done it, my own fault I ended up half freezing to death whilst getting the muck off.

I managed 50 minutes turbo time - about 10 mins warm-up, then two 15 minute stretches at about 150-160W (fairly moderate pace) with 10 minutes gentle spinning in between.  Trying to break my knee back in gently.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #394 on: 03 February, 2009, 02:43:02 pm »
Cleaned Mrs. Surreal's Peugot. again >:(
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #395 on: 03 February, 2009, 05:37:59 pm »
Treated the ancient fixed machine to a new bottom bracket and chain. Moved the chainring round to equalise wear. Then decided that the suspicious bulge in the rear sidewall was a hint that I should replace the tyre.

« Reply #396 on: 12 February, 2009, 08:22:23 pm »
Just cut a carbon steerer to length - I am well aware of the measure twice / cut once rule, but it is still a relief. 

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #397 on: 13 February, 2009, 02:45:30 pm »
Tidied garage. Found a few bikes that I had not seen for a while...
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #398 on: 14 February, 2009, 01:14:23 pm »
Fitted SPD pedals to the hack bike (Shimano M424) and moved it back to the bike shed now that the cold weather has gone away.

Glued the handle back onto my track-pump as a friend had managed to snap it off.

Took updated photos of bikes for insurance gubbins.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #399 on: 14 February, 2009, 01:23:21 pm »
I've put on a prop stand :)