Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134691 times)

robbo6

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1350 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:08:31 pm »
Made another titanium mudguard clip

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #1351 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:12:22 pm »
Replaced the 105 48/38 with a Tiagra 44/34 (TA Zephyr rings). I'll give it a try out tomorrow.

« Reply #1352 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:15:21 pm »
Replaced the front wheel of my winter road bike with a spare. The pothole I hit in the rain last sunday cracked the rim  >:( I have an identical rim on a wheel I never use, so there'll be a rim swap and wheel rebuild next week some time.

Changed the front pads with a new set of koolstops. This involved a set of new shoes as the screws that hold the pads in had corroded in place and I couldn't shift them.

Replaced the batteries in the powertap rear wheel. Low batt was flashing and it was reading bonkers high powers on this morning's ride. Flattering, but wrong  ;)

« Reply #1353 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »
Installed the Ultra torque cups and then chainset correctly this time...all because the lurvely sale vendors didn't send any instructions.
Off fo fit headset, chop the steerer tube and other assorted fiddling to set up new stealth audax bike...(lets just say the low-pro attempt was great for <25 miles not 125  :-[)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1354 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:51:58 pm »
Resurrection day for Dave the Cannondale - replacing the existing brakes and levers with those wacky combo jobbies.  Plus tyre change, mudguard change, etc etc... Halfway through, taking a tea break. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1355 on: 07 March, 2010, 03:35:56 pm »
Finished making a single speed bike. Removed a couple of chainrings, fitted a 42 which I have had since 2003. Removed the 7 speed cassette and fitted a sprocket from a 6 speed that I've had since 1990, spaced out with 6 speed spacers and a couple of other sprockets. Held on with a Uniglide threaded sprocket from the original 7 speed cassette from this bike from 1989. The chain tensioner is made from a v-brake arm donated by longers, a jockey wheel that's been in my toolbox for ages and a bolt. Held on with  a piece of axle dateing back to 1986. Shortened the chain.

Not tested it yet since I'm injured but if it works I'll remove the front mech and levers too. Still got the outer chainring on as I didn't want to have to buy new, shorter bolts and don't want to have the spider outwith the chainring, that looks stupid.

Chris S

« Reply #1356 on: 07 March, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »
Removed a thick layer of East Anglia from the Pompino.

Degreased chain.

« Reply #1357 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:11:21 pm »

Fitted an Avid Rollermajig.  Mmmmmm, Crisp.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1358 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:22:47 pm »
Dealt with aftermath of incident the other week, in which chain came off worn chainring on my fixed, and jammed behind the sprocket. I ended up carrying the bike a mile and a half to work, because I couldn't free the chain, and the back wheel therefore wouldn't go round >:(

Discovered flat front tyre >:(

Tried to remove sprocket to free chain. Lock ring stuck*. Tried a bit harder. Gave up. >:(

Tried levering chain free. Gave up. >:(

Replaced chainring with the new one that arrived this week. :)

Went back to levering chain free. Found that I could just about manage if I was careful to go at it one link at a time. Eventually got it free :)

Noticed broken side plate, oddly not in the jammed section >:(

Removed and threw away chain. Put bike back in shed. Will fix puncture another time. >:(

Waved credit card in direction of SJS for new chain. ::-)

Sometimes fixing bikes is relaxing. This wasn't one of those times. :-\

*I've seen the debates about whether you need a lock ring, but I've got one, so I needed to remove it

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1359 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:36:25 pm »
The bike hasn't been cleaned for, um, a month? :-[ Since then I've done a wet FNRttC, a damp 200 km audax and a lot of commuting. It was filthy. The chain and cassette have been degreased and the rubbish removed from the wheels and frame. I've discovered I've basically gone through a set of brake blocks since December, which isn't too surprising and I'll be waving my credit card in the direction of Chain Reaction Cycles this evening.

I also discovered my rear tyre, a Bontrage Race Lite Hardcase, was absolutely frickin' destroyed. There were at least 3 gaps of >1 cm where the rubber was missing and the canvas exposed. It wasn't like that a few weeks ago! I'm gobsmacked that I haven't had a puncture. I'm not sure if I should be happy about the performance of the tyre of not. I think I fitted it last year (if not then it's a lot older), so a guesstimate would say it's done ~5,000 km. From memory I've had one puncture in that time, so for £15 that doesn't seem too bad. I have now fitted, with brute force, a Continental Hamsterskin that I find kicking around the garage. I've no idea where it came from because I didn't buy that tyre, and my housemates don't use 700x23cc tyres so they say they didn't buy it either. Maybe it's a gift from the puncture fairy?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1360 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »
put some easy wheels on the Brommie, got the saddle angle right  and checked it over properly. Mulling over whether to put spds on it, and trying to sort a little bag to go on the bars or saddle

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1361 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:58:04 pm »
This morning, I took my chainset off and cleaned it, tightened my bottom bracket to get rid of the creaking* and refitted.

This afternoon, I helped replace the tube on a track bike.  Don't they use tubs any more?

* It didn't. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #1362 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »
I'll be waving my credit card in the direction of Chain Reaction Cycles this evening.

Just remember how much you are saving on razors.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1363 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:13:39 pm »
I've just replaced the marathon plus tyres with marathon supremes, and replaced the chain. The pluses will become backup tyres. I hope the supremes are as tough - they should at least be faster rolling.

WTF is it about road wheels and tyres that makes them so difficult to remove and fit? I need new tyre levers now.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1364 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »
Just remember how much you are saving on razors.
:P

WTF is it about road wheels and tyres that makes them so difficult to remove and fit? I need new tyre levers now.

God knows, and as I've said in the before, I really hate fitting Conti tyres to my Mavic rims, but that was the only thing kicking around the garage this afternoon.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1365 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:02:05 am »
I retired the 26 * 1.5 Schwalbe Marathon from the front wheel of the tandem, which was the cause of our problems last weekend. I retyred the bike with a 26 * 1.75 Marathon Plus, which was delivered to Dunnockshaw by Tubbycyclist when he answered our "m'aidez" call 3 years ago next month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1366 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:58:49 am »
Oh, ffs

Sat, freehub starts being free in all directions. I need to fix slow leak, soo.

Sun. Scrub bike. Remove rear wheel, remove cassette, get freehub off. Remove seals, get oil running through freehub. It now works. Regrease bearings, reassemble. Realise I have axle in wrong position. Readjust cones, faff for a while.

Fix punture (crap glue was cause, Tip Top worked instantly, that's a top tip).

Replace front tyre with Krylion carbon, ooh, monday is going to be fun, I like first ride on new tyres.

Realise brakepads are worn down to the metal holder ::facepalm.

Grub screw is corroded in place. File flats on sides of grubscrew, use mole grips, get screw out. Start fitting cheap pads I had in reserve . . . . Wife shouts that we need to leave to go to film in 10min, I have bike in 4 parts and tools strewn around yard . . .

Return from film, continue work and realise that there is no way those brake pads are going into the holders. F*k. Bike shops now closed. Why oh why didn't I start this on Sat?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1367 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:19:37 am »
I reappropriated the miffy bike (so called because its head tube sports a decal featuring the said rabbit perched on the cusp of a crescent moon) for a day's commuting service - at first it was seriously weird riding it again and it was hard to believe that it had been a comfortable steed for two Dunwich Dynamos and a number of FNRttCs as well as regular commuting.  Slow steering, long wheelbase, narrow and very low bars, short cranks.  But by the time I got home last night it seemed normal again and I was enjoying the super-awesomeness of the 531c ride.

Anyway, this was all prompted by the failure of the cartridge bearings on my Paddy Wagon - after three years of daily commuting, no maintenance and variable chain tension, I was not remotely surprised to find that the original cheapo bearings were shot and that the back wheel was wobbling from side to side.  I'd looked up how to change the bearings on formula hubs and it seemed straighforward enough. 

Of course I quickly realised that the instructions do not take account of the fact that

(a) the work bench is wobbly and not even as wide as a wheel;

(b) the vice is conveniently bolted to the end of the bench where we keep the ironing board, the mop and the spare leaves for the antique dining table;

(c) everything is thoroughly seized up and rusted, particularly one set of locknuts;

(d) the flat surfaces on the locknuts are too slender for a spanner of any stature;

(e) the diddy little cone spanners that do fit are only about 4 inches long and therefore  capable of delivering very limited torque;

(f) with it being indoors and surrounded by hanging laundry, Mrs R was not very happy at the prospect of me using a blowtorch on the locknuts (more as a punishment than as a remedy, to be honest); and

(g) my head was already hurting as a consequence of having gouged part of it out on the corner of the cast iron fireplace in my younger son's room when plugging in Manotea's old laptop so he could do his history homework (son, not Manotea).

Two hours later, the old bearings were out, the new bearings were in, the work bench was strewn with oily rages, hammers, screwdrivers, allen keys, bit of dented wood, drips of blood and sweat, and the house was still reverberating with the sound of hammer blows, tools dropping on the quarry tiled floor, howls of pain and assorted thuds.  But the whole bike was reassembled (excluding the Carrdice SQR bracket, as the nuts inside it are spinning uselessly and so I cannot tighten it up any more) and I'd managed to stop most of the bleeding.

« Reply #1368 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:10:15 am »
Brake alignment when I got to work and the bike was conveniently hanging on the wall.

« Reply #1369 on: 09 March, 2010, 03:01:26 pm »
My single bolts arrived which I needed to turn my double chainring into a single.
(didn't want to shim the double ones as they were past their best)

Carefully applied threadlock to the bolts and torqued down the 53 ring down onto the spider.
Offered it up onto the spindle then realised the ring needed to go behind the spider to get any chance of a chainline.   ::-)

A quick unbolt and some more threadlock and et voilà a neat chainline.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1370 on: 09 March, 2010, 03:29:31 pm »
I've just put a non return valve on the bilge pump in my kayak

border-rider

« Reply #1371 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:25:35 pm »
Replaced the back wheel, sprocket, chainset and chain on the TinOne.  And discovered that what I'd be assuming was a 19 sprocket was actually an 18...

I thought hills had been tough :)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1372 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »
Went to fit a Topeak RX Carbon Beam seatpost rack*, only to realise that the minimal amount of available seatpost on this bike would place a rack bag so high that getting my leg over would require a gymnastic degree of flexibility that I do not have! :(

* Nice thing, shockingly small and extremely light - even lighter than advertised if you don't fit the optional reflector.  Designed for RX bags only, but Carradice bags sort-of fit as well via some velcro distortion.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1373 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:37:18 pm »
This evening I fitted a new set of rear brake blocks. The front blocks will be replaced once Wiggle deliver the new pads. As the bike was on the stand I also sorted out the rear light mount that's attached to the rack that was slightly lose by expanding the diameter of the rack with a bit of old inner tube.

I almost enjoyed doing those jobs.

« Reply #1374 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:40:50 pm »
Seat angle again on the Etape.
New tube on the TCR.