Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163207 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1450 on: 24 March, 2010, 10:01:24 pm »
Got two new wheels through the post for the BSO.  £45 the pair, disc compatible and freehub  :o

Obviously the tension was a bit slack, so I wound them all up as tight as I dared, stress-relieved them and then opened up the Quando hubs (really well designed and made, I admit), stuffed some extra grease in and adjusted the cones properly.

Now I just need to find the disc fixing bolts and get a cassette, because they sent me a chain instead  ::-)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1451 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:53:34 am »
Just swapped over the tyres, back to the Marathon Supremes for the FNRttC.  I also had a quick fiddle with the gears, which haven't quite been changing cleanly, and noise free in all useful arrangements.

Adjusting the gears predictably took twice as long, and I'm not sure they're any better now than when I started.  I hate triple derailleurs, they're a necessary evil, but always utter twunts to get working reliably. :-\ >:(
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1452 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:28:22 am »
relieved them and then opened up the Quando hubs (really well designed and made, I admit),

I have a Dawes with Quando hubs.

The front wheel survived me driving over it with the landrover. The disk for the crappy Clarks disc brake was truly pringled, but the wheel survived and stayed truish.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1453 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:32:43 am »
Ah that's good to hear about Quandos.  My Rudge's new wheels are that flavour.
Getting there...

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #1454 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:24:21 pm »
Reassembled an old Campag Veloce freehub.  The old trick with sewing thread to keep the pawls in place. That has to be the fiddliest thing I have ever done to a bike component.  One spring came out of a biro :thumbsup: Hope it lasts...  :-\

Built up said hub into new wheel for my Brian Rourke, which has been out of action for a year or more. Trued and dished. Cleaned the cassette.  Rim tape, tyre and tube. Job done :smug:

Haven't ridden on it yet though.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1455 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:27:26 pm »
Reassembled an old Campag Veloce freehub.  The old trick with sewing thread to keep the pawls in place. That has to be the fiddliest thing I have ever done to a bike component.  One spring came out of a biro :thumbsup: Hope it lasts...  :-\
Did you know you can get a "tool" (more like a big bent springy paper clip) that holds the pawls in place? And Mercian sell proper non-biro springs.
It is bloody fiddly though.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #1456 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »
Thanks Eck, I did know there was a tool (looked like a plastic contraceptive device) but only saw links to US sites selling it.  Hadn't seen the paperclip one.  I managed OK after a bit of cursing.

I should have got the proper spring, you're right, but I was in bodging mood. Might get some to have in stock for future, I found them somewhere online (dotbike?) or could just ask my LBS.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1457 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:11:27 am »
A wire twisty does the job fairly easily when you don't have a proper tool.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1458 on: 26 March, 2010, 10:11:47 am »
Played with my new toy, a CO2 inflator, ready in time for all the deflations for tonight's FNRttC.  I bought a big box of cartridges, and am now -1.  They don't half go cold and freeze your hand quick if you don't screw them in fully and discharge them by accident.  ::-)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Chris S

« Reply #1459 on: 26 March, 2010, 11:35:42 am »
Played with my new toy, a CO2 inflator, ready in time for all the deflations for tonight's FNRttC.  I bought a big box of cartridges, and am now -1.  They don't half go cold and freeze your hand quick if you don't screw them in fully and discharge them by accident.  ::-)

Ohh... can you make dry ice with them? We once set off a CO2 extinguisher at work for a larf, and couldn't shut it down because the valve froze - so we left it in the sink (this was in a lab) until it discharged, only for it to completely freeze all the plumbing  :thumbsup:. Ah - jobs when I woz young...

« Reply #1460 on: 26 March, 2010, 08:52:25 pm »
Noticed that the rear tyre on my summer bike was looking worn earlier in the week so I fitted a new one today.

« Reply #1461 on: 26 March, 2010, 10:09:47 pm »
I put a new front wheel on the Kaffenback, to replace the one that exploded yesterday, which was reasonably straightforward.

I then foolishly thought I'd see if I could remove the rattle in the front lamp mount.  I managed to stop it rattling, but now the Quick Release won't, which is a mite annoying.

I've decided to stop fiddling just in case I bugger the mount up entirely, which would leave me with limited options for the FNRttC tonight.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #1462 on: 26 March, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »
New chain on my Ridgeback. Shiny! Took the chainwheels and cassette off and gave them a good clean too. I might even be feeling well enough to ride it again soon :(.
Pen Pusher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1463 on: 27 March, 2010, 05:39:35 pm »
Cleaned and polished the Ridley, put some air in the tyres of TLD's new Puky and strip and cleaned the Gaggia....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1464 on: 27 March, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »
Routes onto my GPS.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1465 on: 27 March, 2010, 06:00:09 pm »
Fitted discs to the BSO wheels and set up the brakes.  Also changed the rear brake cable (again) because re-using the original outer turned out to be a bad idea - it was a rough as a badger's arse.  Now it's as frictionless as the front one.  Test rode it - gears are great, brakes adequate (not bedded in yet).

Tonight I'm putting loose balls in the Ashtabula BB of Miss Z's bike.  Sheldon Brown said it was too difficult, which sounds like a challenge to me.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1466 on: 27 March, 2010, 07:07:33 pm »
Swivelled the SQR support around, so I can use my smaller seat pack on tomorrows Monk'y business ride.

Gave the bike a clean after the Trans Pennine Trail trip last week. Loads of grit on the chain, and the bike sounds like it's towing a bag of spanners. Still does, cleaning didn't seem to do much.

I think I might need to get a better rear wheel.

« Reply #1467 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:20:51 pm »
I boged this: a leaky 12" inner tube on my son's bike (62 - 208 tyre!) It had split at the foot of the valve stem so I announced " I don't think this will work" and cut a chunk out of a patch with a hole-punch and cemented that in place. Once that was bonded I cemented another strip into place around the stem, hoping that the first would hold in compression against the rim whilst the second would keep the first in place so the thing was airtight as the tube and tyre were refitted. To my surprise it inflated and having put it up to 40 psi at 2pm, the tyre's still hard now.

But tomorrow, to the LBS (or pram shop), whichever has a tube, cos I don't think it'll hold for long!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1468 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:49:13 pm »
Removed the Rohloff was going to offer this to anyone on yacf but my brother wanted the wheel so bad luck.

Removed the broken mudguard.

Washed the bike.

Fitted the single speed wheel.

Failed to remove Rohloff shifter.  Stripped allen bolt holding it to handle bars.

To do:
Remove Rohloff shifter.
Fit new mudguard.

« Reply #1469 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »
Finished my handmade GPS stem mount

Chris S

« Reply #1470 on: 28 March, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »
Stuck a Standard Randonneur Issue dangly mudflap on the rear mudguard of the Pompino, ready for Friday. It's a DPC variant - as I couldn't find a Fairy Liquid bottle.

« Reply #1471 on: 28 March, 2010, 08:25:08 pm »
Put the Garmin mount onto the bars.
Fenwicked the Etape too.
Fitted a new Alien saddle clamp bolt as I had damaged the other one with too much fiddling.

« Reply #1472 on: 28 March, 2010, 11:52:15 pm »
Stuck a Standard Randonneur Issue dangly mudflap on the rear mudguard of the Pompino, ready for Friday. It's a DPC variant - as I couldn't find a Fairy Liquid bottle.

As I will be sucking that wheel for at least 25% of our riding time, thanks!

(But as there will be no rain, it will not be required)

« Reply #1473 on: 29 March, 2010, 10:40:57 am »
I've also been wheel sucking.

I've vacuum cleaned the bike of all the dried dust and mud.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1474 on: 29 March, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »
Well, I checked the rear bearings on my Dave Yates, and yep, they are knackered.  Must be my hamfisted fitting method.  Hey ho.  New ones on the way, which I'll fit in time for the Easter Arrow (for some reason, I only have one spare set of bearings IYSWIM, instead of the pair which I expected).

I also serviced the hubs which came with my Orange Oakley Clockwork - mucking about with cup n cone bearings is such a satisfying job, and I was so taken with the sealings on the hubs that I think I'll keep the wheels.