Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2164349 times)

gordon taylor

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1600 on: 01 May, 2010, 12:30:07 pm »
It's the first of May, so I've taken the studded tyres off the hybrid.

;D

kevinp

« Reply #1601 on: 01 May, 2010, 01:19:55 pm »
I finished putting the rest of my bitsa road bike together a bit of a mishmash of parts but it rides pretty good, I also put my mtb back together, as the back wheel and cranks were used on my trike which I haven't used  since January ..... can't see what all the fuss is about with them ?

« Reply #1602 on: 01 May, 2010, 01:23:16 pm »
Right then!  I can't ride, been poorly most of the week and still all chesty n full o' snot and feeling horribly run down so I've

Fixed two punctured tubes
Superglued a slit in Mrs Aidans back tyre
put a skull n crossbone sticker on the Brommie
moved the Carradice Zipped roll from the On One to the back of the Brommie
cleaned oiled and adjusted the kids' runabout
washed the Soma
Started dismantling the donor bike for the bits to build the Holdsworth I've just bought off Tokamak
run round every bike with an oily rag wiping and checking
put two coat hooks up.

I'm gonna twang my Schecter   :o   for a bit   then fall asleep in front of watch the Tour of Romandy

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1603 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:44:48 pm »

are you happy with this product?Have contemplated buying one myself.
I too find that the Romandy tour is good for insomnia ::-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1604 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »
I have taken a B17 off the Trek & fitted a Swallow.

« Reply #1605 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:53:04 pm »

Yes, I've had it on the Pompino as a handlebar bag ( straps round each side of bar, and on stem)  and its been really useful.  have also used it as a (very) small saddle bag when all I've needed to carry is a tube and tools, a thin waterproof and a bit of food.  It doesn't have a great capacity, but is probably more versatile for it

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1606 on: 01 May, 2010, 03:04:50 pm »

Yes, I've had it on the Pompino as a handlebar bag ( straps round each side of bar, and on stem)  and its been really useful.  have also used it as a (very) small saddle bag when all I've needed to carry is a tube and tools, a thin waterproof and a bit of food.  It doesn't have a great capacity, but is probably more versatile for it

that's exactly what I had in mind for hanging on the  Swallow when fitted to the Trek.Thanks for the comment.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1607 on: 01 May, 2010, 03:13:01 pm »
Changed the saddle on GillP's Bianchi (she has opted for comfort over aesthetics), fitted her post pack mount, changed the stem on the Pearson fixed for a shorter steeper one and sorted out lights ready for a dawn start tomorrow.

« Reply #1608 on: 01 May, 2010, 05:46:08 pm »
Stoker's Brevet has just had a major fettle:

Broken spoke in rear wheel replaced which entailed removing the cassette, full clean of cassette, repair punctured tube, fit new Gatorskin * OUCH - why are they so fucking tight ??? *.

Mechs cleaned and adjusted, new chain, brakes adjusted.

Replacement Spesh Dolce with ti rails fitted and Ortlieb saddle pack with integral light installed.

Now, back to my personal grindstone...

« Reply #1609 on: 02 May, 2010, 11:47:23 am »
On Friday evening, prior to the FNRttC, I replaced the mount and cleat of my Exposure Race light, because it was so rattly it would no longer hold the light securely.  I experimented, and the old cleat rattled on the new mount, and the new cleat rattled on the old mount, I had to replace both of them, which was annoying (and more expensive).

The old mount seems OK with the slightly bulkier plastic cleat of the Joystick, but I don't generally want a mount just for the Joystick (which is a combination spare light and handy torch for mechanicals on the FNRttC and similar night rides).

I wonder if replacing the cleat before it's too worn will extend the life of the mount, like replacing a chain to save wear on the cassette?

That mount has done around 8000 miles, since I virtually always have the light on my bike, which isn't too bad, but could be better.  You don't expect a metal light mount to wear out. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1610 on: 02 May, 2010, 01:02:13 pm »
Yesterday, I replaced the bar tape and moved the brakes on the DSG, capped the end of the brake cables, and fitted a different saddle and Bagman.

This morning, I've been rooting around for spare parts for the tandem.
Getting there...

gordon taylor

« Reply #1611 on: 02 May, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »
I started the weekend with only one, dirty, working bike...

The Longstaff fixed has been cleaned and has a new chain, brake blocks and bar tape.
The Ridgeback has been reassembled from its flight packed state.
The Surly has been cleaned (a bit) and has new tyres and I've converted it from fixed/drops to single-speed/flat bar.
The trike has new disc pads and is running, although it could do with a good clean too.

Mrs G's commuter is next for the treatment...

rdaviesb

« Reply #1612 on: 03 May, 2010, 08:44:55 pm »
Three day epic painting session done. Top of the house now looking nice and pristine. It's just a shame that most of what I've painted can't actually be seen unless you are up a ladder. Scaffolding can come down tomorrow. I'm having a day off and then back to the paintbrush rejuvenating stuff that's closer to the ground on Wednesday.

« Reply #1613 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:51:55 pm »
Flipped the stem and fitted tri-bars to the Airnimal, then tried it out.  Very comfortable and allows the next cog up against the wind.  Then got home and trued the back wheel, well nearly. 
Peter

« Reply #1614 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:55:05 pm »
Replaced an inner tube. Prepared a seed bed. Chopped some more branches off a tree.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1615 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »
More tandem fettling.
Getting there...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1616 on: 07 May, 2010, 03:55:01 pm »
Pink, white and blue bike was making a terrible rattling noise. So I replaced the lost screw holding the rack to the drop out. Quiet again now, just tyre noise.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1617 on: 07 May, 2010, 06:18:13 pm »
a new Topeak saddlepak to the Trek.If it's raining in the morning when I get up earlyish I wii swiftly fit a clip-on mudgaurd to the rear wheel:I don't want to be having a wet arse

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1618 on: 07 May, 2010, 07:14:52 pm »
I fitted a bottle cage.  Been meaning to do that since January!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1619 on: 07 May, 2010, 08:05:19 pm »
Fitted an Onza Buzz Saw 26T stainless steel inner ring to a triple.  Unlike the previous ring, it doesn't have recesses for the bolt heads -which caused a problem, until I replaced the spacers on the other side that I fitted to improve shifting.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #1620 on: 07 May, 2010, 08:40:28 pm »
Started on mudguards and then remembered that 40 something year old British bikes don't have metric threads. Tomorrow I shall be squiring a tap and die set so I can finish the job.

It looks better with guards though, they help to fill the massive gap between the tyres and frame a little,
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1621 on: 07 May, 2010, 09:14:27 pm »
I, along with three colleagues, spent the whole morning fettling thirty children's bikes prior to their doing Bikeability training.  We fixed countless loose bottom brackets on BMXs, useless brakes, wobbly headsets, under-inflated tyres, etc.  As we worked I remarked, "I can't believe this - I am being paid to tinker with bikes."

Came home and fitted carbon bars to my Dahon Jetstream P9.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a Moulton-based tandem, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, and a Scott CR1 Comp.

« Reply #1622 on: 08 May, 2010, 03:13:04 pm »
Started on mudguards and then remembered that 40 something year old British bikes don't have metric threads. Tomorrow I shall be squiring a tap and die set so I can finish the job.

It looks better with guards though, they help to fill the massive gap between the tyres and frame a little,

Done that. I cannot believe that I have managed so long without a set.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #1623 on: 08 May, 2010, 03:15:26 pm »
VAR lever arrived in the post so it seemed like a good idea to try it out. Tyre removed and refitted multiple times. It works  :thumbsup:

My life closely resembles that of a rock star I think you'll agree.

Chris S

« Reply #1624 on: 08 May, 2010, 03:19:02 pm »
VAR lever arrived in the post so it seemed like a good idea to try it out. Tyre removed and refitted multiple times. It works  :thumbsup:

VAR - an absolute requirement if you are a Marathon Plus user.