Author Topic: The tennis...  (Read 85459 times)

Re: The tennis...
« Reply #100 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:09:13 am »
The world has another Murray this morning  :thumbsup:  (actually since Sunday it seems)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #101 on: 07 March, 2016, 09:36:44 pm »
I hope the that the Tennis and Sporting world report on drug cheat, Maria Sharapova. I'm just waiting for the PR
machine and forum posters to come to her support and clear her of any wrong doing.

simonp

« Reply #102 on: 07 March, 2016, 10:17:21 pm »
Hard to see her having any other reason for taking it as a PED. Just like I take caffeine then. Once it's banned though, it's her responsibility to be aware and she'll deservedly be banned.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #103 on: 07 March, 2016, 10:24:59 pm »
Meldonium

It increases blood supply and "increases the capacity for work", which is why so many endurance athletes take it, and why it has been banned.

Until Jan 1st it has been a "legal PED".

She earns over £30 million a year and employs people to tell her what drugs she can and can't take.  People at this level of sport don't go to Boots and read the labels themselves.

Note.  If she doesn't employ someone to tell her what drugs she can and can't take then she's a stingy fool.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #104 on: 08 March, 2016, 09:46:19 am »
Nike have suspended Sharapova's contract.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #105 on: 08 March, 2016, 02:44:47 pm »
Worryingly the head of the Russian Tennis Federation says that she will be at the Rio  Olympiad.
Like to bet on that ?

If it's not been cleared for use in the USA by the Federal Food and  Drug Administration, how come her doctor friend was prescribing it?
De facto , she cannot have been taking it legally as she claims.

« Reply #106 on: 08 March, 2016, 02:56:56 pm »
If it's illegal to distribute or import drugs that haven't been evaluated or approved by the FDA, then it looks like the Federales haven't caught up with these guys yet, who are US-based:

http://awakebrain.com/mildronate.html
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #107 on: 08 March, 2016, 04:39:47 pm »
Nike have suspended not yet cancelled Sharapova's contract.
FTFY ;)   

Look, she's a pretty white woman (the sort sponsors like). It'll all be 'brushed under the carpet' forgotten by the time the Paris Open starts.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #108 on: 08 March, 2016, 04:41:17 pm »
I think there is a grey/gray area between drugs being <govt agency> approved, and being actually _illegal_ to take/administer. This no doubt varies between country.

It sounds like athletes have been using this stuff for 10 years, without anyone worrying, so IMHO it's unlikely they've been breaking laws. If it's been on WADA's "watch list" (not the banned list), that suggest that THEY don't think it's widely  illegal.
(although it still might be in certain countries!)

Worryingly the head of the Russian Tennis Federation says that she will be at the Rio  Olympiad.
Like to bet on that ?

From the BBC news link, its clear that several athletes have had bans of just a few months - plenty of time for Rio!
No doubt she is crossing her fingers, buying heather, etc etc ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #109 on: 08 March, 2016, 05:18:49 pm »
Yup money talks .
It's that dichotomy of opinion that says all pro cyclists are off their heads with dope and all other sports are cleanwhich really annoys me.
Cycling, and now athletics,  have been the convenient scapegoats that has allowed other sports to convince themselves that it isn't half as bad on their side of the fence , therefore they don't need to take any action that will frighten off the sponsors.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #110 on: 08 March, 2016, 07:15:04 pm »
She has been tested,  caught, and the result publicised. This is already a pretty big deal; let's wait for the sentence before we criticise the relevant authorities.

Maria is (AFAIK) by far the biggest name to fail a test in tennis (and possibly in the whole world of womens sport).  So it will be really interesting to see the outcome; this may be a watershed in drug enforcement outside the  strength/speed/endurance sports.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #111 on: 09 March, 2016, 01:08:26 am »
The athlete Marion Jones was pretty high profile - though obviously not enough!

« Reply #112 on: 09 March, 2016, 06:28:17 am »
The world has another Murray this morning  :thumbsup:  (actually since Sunday it seems)

That is one baby that will have no difficulty getting off to sleep

(As long as dad is around)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #113 on: 09 March, 2016, 05:25:24 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #114 on: 09 March, 2016, 06:03:02 pm »
Meldonium

It increases blood supply and "increases the capacity for work", which is why so many endurance athletes take it, and why it has been banned.

Until Jan 1st it has been a "legal PED".

She earns over £30 million a year and employs people to tell her what drugs she can and can't take.  People at this level of sport don't go to Boots and read the labels themselves.

Note.  If she doesn't employ someone to tell her what drugs she can and can't take then she's a stingy fool.

You would think she'd have a full time nutritionist/medic/someone on her books responsible for watching everything like a hawk.

A lot has been made about the use of the drug by MS over the last few years, but in sense given that it wasn't banned - this is all 'irrelevant'.

Turning into an expensive 'letter shoved under a magazine'...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #115 on: 09 March, 2016, 06:40:29 pm »
Her PR team and peers are lauding her and coming to her defence.  :sick:  I bet if Serena Williams had been found
to have taken a banned drug the who media caravan and sporting world would have ripped her to pieces.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #116 on: 09 March, 2016, 07:11:11 pm »
It's impossible to know that until Serena fails a test.

In the meantime you could look at her comments on Sharapova's failed test:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/08/serena-williams-maria-sharapova-courage-drug-confession-meldonium

(I'm no great fan of Serena, but this shows a lot of class  :thumbsup: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #117 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:50:04 am »
The Russian said she had taken meldonium, a heart medicine which improves blood flow, for a decade following various health problems including regular sicknesses, early signs of diabetes and “irregular” results from echocardiography exams. “I was first given the substance back in 2006. I had several health issues going on at the time,” she said.

This would be the 2006 when she won the US Open and three other Tier I tournaments, reached the semi-finals of two other Grand Slams, and accrued sufficient points that she was WTA No 1 in January 2007?  Those health problems must have been really holding her back.  ::-)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #118 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:17:44 pm »
The Russian said she had taken meldonium, a heart medicine which improves blood flow, for a decade following various health problems including regular sicknesses, early signs of diabetes and “irregular” results from echocardiography exams. “I was first given the substance back in 2006. I had several health issues going on at the time,” she said.

This would be the 2006 when she won the US Open and three other Tier I tournaments, reached the semi-finals of two other Grand Slams, and accrued sufficient points that she was WTA No 1 in January 2007?  Those health problems must have been really holding her back.  ::-)

She's got acute Angina*

* I have no idea whether she does or not but it lets people think of some easy punchlines.

« Reply #119 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »
I don't get the opprobrium. There isn't a professional sportsperson (nor many top flight amateurs either I'd wager) that doesn't take anything not banned if they think it will help their performance. (Look at triathletes and their prophylactic doses of Ibuprofen). And when it goes on the banned list they stop, mostly. Her organisation screwed up, but she has made no defence other than to say she made a mistake in continuing to take the now-banned substance, and she's blamed no-one else publicly.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #120 on: 10 March, 2016, 02:19:28 pm »
Well, at least Rafael wasn't at it.

Rafael Nadal: Spaniard says he is a 'completely clean guy'

Not sure why the word "Spaniard" is in the title.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #122 on: 11 March, 2016, 07:42:01 pm »

Rafael Nadal: Spaniard says he is a 'completely clean guy'

Not sure why the word "Spaniard" is in the title.

Is is something to do with Operation Puerto ?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #123 on: 12 March, 2016, 10:23:58 am »

Rafael Nadal has denied he has ever used a banned substance to get an edge or to speed up recovery from injury

...but it's quite likely he was using the same drug as Sharapova for the last 10 years but stopped when it became banned in January.

If EPO wasn't banned I think it's fair to assume they'd all be using it.

« Reply #124 on: 13 April, 2016, 06:04:19 pm »
It looks like Sharapova may get away with it after all.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/36034369:

Athletes caught using meldonium could avoid a ban after anti-doping chiefs said it was not clear how long it takes the drug to leave the body.