Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389830 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1225 on: 12 December, 2013, 08:23:04 am »
I was musing the other day on what a Giger counter might look like, and what its function would be.
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1226 on: 12 December, 2013, 09:16:04 am »
Good News: Neil Young and The National are playing in Hyde Park in July

Bad News: I've only got one thing planned for July, and it's the same day :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1227 on: 12 December, 2013, 09:22:55 am »
Ask Neil to reschedule.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind. ;)
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1228 on: 12 December, 2013, 11:47:48 am »
BN: System crashed, had to do two restores, took 45 mins, all due to a bloody stupid Windows update.

GN: Didn't lose any data. And it gave me an opportunity to have a cup of tea and toast some crumpets, and have a go at fettling away the corrodeyness that was making my Smart rear light turn itself off and on.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1229 on: 14 December, 2013, 12:43:16 pm »
GN: n+1  :thumbsup:
BN: Won't get it until March :(

« Reply #1230 on: 17 December, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »
GN: Don't need new specs
BN: I'm losing iris pigment, and that's probably what's causing the halos.

:-\

GN: Early detection means better monitoring
more GN: Only 30% of PDS leads to pigmentary glaucoma
even more GN: even then it's quite responsive to treatment

« Reply #1231 on: 17 December, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »
Sorry to hear you are going though it Fb.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1232 on: 17 December, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »
Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.  Hope it resolves best as possible.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1233 on: 18 December, 2013, 04:40:27 pm »
GN: Day off today ...
BN: ... marred by the fact that I feel like shit and, as Sod's Law dictates, had loads of people coming round to do surveys, estimates and whatnot.
GN: It looks like I'll get my cavity wall insulation done for free  :thumbsup: Potentially another £350 towards the SBA fund  :)
BN: The LBS confirmed that n+1 won't arrive until March :(

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1234 on: 20 December, 2013, 07:26:41 pm »
BN: My pedal of choice has been discontinued  >:(
GN: It was the perfect excuse to buy a slightly higher spec model with baked soot body. Which the LBS had in stock  :thumbsup:
BN: I'm now torn as to whether or not to put aforementioned pedals on n+1 or the Tour Divide bike
GN: Carbon pedals, dammit!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1235 on: 20 December, 2013, 07:43:18 pm »
BN: the gig tonight is 8 o'clock doors, not 7 as I thought.

GN: it has meant I have managed to try some different beers. Good - titanic plum porter and Yorkshire sparkle. Bad- kirkstall smoked porter.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1236 on: 21 December, 2013, 02:00:10 am »
BN: Some unmentionable cad has left the pub with my coat.

GN: Fortunately, my salbutamol inhaler and wallet were in my jeans pockets.

BN: There was a pair of Berghaus gloves and a JCB beanie in the jacket pockets.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1237 on: 06 January, 2014, 10:50:14 am »
GN: Having had a chat with $BIG_BOSS this morning, I now have agreement in principle (subject to some decided non-onerous conditions) to take time off to do  the Tour Divide this year  :thumbsup:
BN: Now I'll have to try and stop the brainweasels from planting the inevitable seeds of doubt - the body's up for it, I have to make sure that the mind is too.  :o

« Reply #1238 on: 06 January, 2014, 10:55:15 am »
GN: Having had a chat with $BIG_BOSS this morning, I now have agreement in principle (subject to some decided non-onerous conditions) to take time off to do  the Tour Divide this year  :thumbsup:
BN: Now I'll have to try and stop the brainweasels from planting the inevitable seeds of doubt - the body's up for it, I have to make sure that the mind is too.  :o

Time off agreed is definitely good news.   :thumbsup:      Now stuff those weasels in a weighted sack and chuck them in the river.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1239 on: 10 January, 2014, 11:07:39 pm »
good news: Tonight I was presented with a certificate for riding in a club ride.  :thumbsup:
bad news: My name was spelt wrongly and the distance is incorrect.  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1240 on: 11 January, 2014, 12:17:29 am »
good news: Tonight I was presented with a certificate for riding in a club ride.  :thumbsup:

BTDT got the misengraved trophy.
CTC DATC women's trophy. Entered 10 events, paid using printed chequebook, filled in 10 forms in BLOCK CAPITALS.

My name was misspelt on the only significant sporting trophy I'd ever get...

« Reply #1241 on: 11 January, 2014, 08:17:03 am »

My name was misspelt on the only significant sporting trophy I'd ever get...
My name was on 2 AUK trophies last year, spelt correctly on one, and incorrectly on the other.

« Reply #1242 on: 11 January, 2014, 09:16:46 pm »
GN: I have a new job. Not exactly my ideal career path, but the people seem fine.
BN: I walked miles in the course of said job - not in itself a bad thing, but I am rather out of condition, so I am aching.
GN: It's a pleasant 4-mile commute and there is a dry-weather route 95% off road and almost 50% on rural bridleways.
BN: The money isn't good, but seeing as my defunct company earned me bugger all in 18 months, the only way is up.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1243 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:18:45 pm »
GN: I got a (rare) text from my Dad today.
BN: It took him being in hospital for 5 days to act as enough incentive for him to write it.

Oh well; let's hope I don't get another off him for a while...

« Reply #1244 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:23:04 pm »
GN: I have a new job. Not exactly my ideal career path, but the people seem fine.
BN: I walked miles in the course of said job - not in itself a bad thing, but I am rather out of condition, so I am aching.
GN: It's a pleasant 4-mile commute and there is a dry-weather route 95% off road and almost 50% on rural bridleways.
BN: The money isn't good, but seeing as my defunct company earned me bugger all in 18 months, the only way is up.

Best of luck with the your direction AWoL.   Post regularly to let us know how you're doing.  Put your own stamp on your new career.      ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1245 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:28:25 pm »
BN: It took him being in hospital for 5 days to act as enough incentive for him to write it.

"In hospital.  Send real food and reading materials.  Love, Dad." ?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1246 on: 11 January, 2014, 11:51:22 pm »

Oh well; let's hope I don't get another off him for a while...

Ouch! At least I got a text off my stepmum when my dad landed in hospital, but yes that seems to be the level of initiated contact I'm at.  Hope he's OK and doesn't need to be negatively incentivised to text you again soon!

« Reply #1247 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:41:43 am »

AWoL
That's strange. I could've sworn those mudguards were intact...  :P
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1248 on: 12 January, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »
Ouch! At least I got a text off my stepmum when my dad landed in hospital, but yes that seems to be the level of initiated contact I'm at.  Hope he's OK and doesn't need to be negatively incentivised to text you again soon!

He sent it once he got home, where he's now steadily regaining a normal colour after a run-in with some penicillin. Have been having daily updates from mum all week.

"In hospital.  Send real food and reading materials.  Love, Dad." ?

Heh! Yes, that would have been a sensible one to send. He was bored out of his brain, but apparently not enough to finally learn how to use his phone.  :facepalm:

« Reply #1249 on: 14 January, 2014, 09:36:27 pm »
BN: My daughter has gone to Young Voices at the NEC as a singer thinking she needed to take a ticket - my ticket, so I can't go.

GN: My daughter has gone to Young Voices at the NEC as a singer thinking she needed to take a ticket - my ticket, so I can't go.