Author Topic: Doorstep Milk delivery  (Read 24775 times)

Re: Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #125 on: 09 January, 2023, 11:40:14 am »
Down here there are an increasing number of self-service or served milk into your own bottles.  Living at one end of the town it's easy for us to walk down and fill our bottles from either of two facilities - our butcher fills bottles from a dispenser behind the counter; further down the road a self-service place for milk, milkshakes & coffee (+ attached launderette) is open from 0600 to 2300.  Both are supplied by local farms.  Cost is £1.30 or £1.60 respectively.

Edit: per litre, that is.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #126 on: 09 January, 2023, 12:46:14 pm »
Today in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles in sunny windy E4:

Grahams: 80p/1 pint Tetrapak
Own-brand: 95p/1 pint plastic wossname
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #127 on: 09 January, 2023, 01:10:45 pm »
The plastic bag/sachet and a special plastic holder/jug were the thing in about 1983 when I lived in N Essex - the advantage of the bag was that you could freeze them to keep a few in the freezer for emergency stock.  Downside was that the open corner of the bag in the holder meant that without a seal the milk could be tainted by other stuff in the fridge.  IIRC it was a fairly short-lived idea and ceased just about the time I moved to Gloucestershire in 1986.

That roughly matches my memories.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #128 on: 09 January, 2023, 05:49:39 pm »
Down here there are an increasing number of self-service or served milk into your own bottles.  Living at one end of the town it's easy for us to walk down and fill our bottles from either of two facilities - our butcher fills bottles from a dispenser behind the counter; further down the road a self-service place for milk, milkshakes & coffee (+ attached launderette) is open from 0600 to 2300.  Both are supplied by local farms.  Cost is £1.30 or £1.60 respectively.

Is that cows' milk or oat milk? We can do it for the latter here, but we use the former. We do have a good shop where you can buy pasta and other staples, and use your own containers.

« Reply #129 on: 09 January, 2023, 07:08:12 pm »

Is that cows' milk or oat milk? We can do it for the latter here, but we use the former. We do have a good shop where you can buy pasta and other staples, and use your own containers.

Just cows' milk.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #130 on: 23 May, 2023, 08:42:42 pm »
milkandmore have just emailed me to state they will be delivering this coming Bank Holiday Monday, unlike the previous four Bank Holidays.

I suspect replacing Monday's milk with extra pints of stale, overpriced milk in glass bottles, on the preceding Friday, didn't improve sales.

I cancelled a week's deliveries whenever there was no Monday delivery. I don't have the fridge space for more glass bottles & can't freeze this either.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #131 on: 29 October, 2023, 08:09:41 pm »
Doorstep milk is now £1.19 per pint.
Sainsbury's is £1.30 for two pints or £1.65 for 4 pint plastic bucket.

milkandmore have just upped the price to £1.25 per pint, having dropped it to £1.15 over the summer.
Sainsbury's is currently 90p for a single pint, £1.20 for two pints and £1.45 for 4 pints.

Will again drop deliveries for Christmas, New Year and the interim, as they won't deliver on the Bank Holidays and extra, stale milk, in glass bottles doesn't keep well.

Afasoas

« Reply #132 on: 30 October, 2023, 03:30:35 pm »
I have no idea how much we pay for our milk deliveries.
But we do get it delivered by a local firm.

There are two larger firms who keep trying to poach their business away - Milk and More - and I forget the name of the other.
Both have visited several times. Both pushy and don't really take no for an answer.

I recommend the local firm whenever I can.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #133 on: 30 October, 2023, 05:03:09 pm »
A local firm has also been pushy on the doorstep.

Much of the reason I persist with milkandmore is that they ALWAYS have compost for the garden, which is useful for this car-free household.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #134 on: 22 December, 2023, 01:48:42 pm »
I'm wondering about my milkman's sanity and numeracy.
I get three deliveries per week and have paused deliveries for a fortnight as of tomorrow. I can't store HUGE numbers of bottles of stale milk in my fridge.
All three deliveries this week have been wrong...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #135 on: 27 December, 2023, 01:02:31 am »
And he’s delivered another 3 bottles today, Wednesday, which is my normal Wednesday delivery.
I’m supposed to have paused deliveries. I’m home at he moment but we’re off to Christchurch next week.

I REALLY don’t want bottles left on the doorstep while I’m away!

I’ll try to phone them during the day.

« Reply #136 on: 07 January, 2024, 07:49:58 pm »
Helly are you sure you paused/cancelled. Milk and more app really isn't very intuitive and on several occasions either t'wife or t'myself have either added milk or just failed to cancel when trying to cancel

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #137 on: 08 January, 2024, 01:51:52 am »
I am sure and the person at Customer Services confirmed my deliveries had been paused and I would not be charged for milk delivered in error.
We were only in London on Wednesday 3 January because the weather & cancelled trains caused us to return home from Waterloo Station.

I had received an email, confirming paused deliveries.

I don’t run a smartphone and only access milkandmore from my laptop, where things are pretty clear.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #138 on: 24 January, 2024, 11:19:31 pm »
No milk delivered today.
Of the last 5 Wednesdays, only one has has the correct amount of milk delivered.
I’m getting fed up!

« Reply #139 on: 08 March, 2024, 10:12:33 am »
We got a letter with our milk delivery today. Our milkman is retiring. He has sold the business to another family so we will still get deliveries thank goodness.
We have used him for 28 years (ever since we moved to this village) and in all that time I think he has missed a delivery once. Floods, storms, snow nothing stopped him. Milk always on the doorstep by 8:00am.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #140 on: 08 March, 2024, 11:25:49 am »
mcqueens turned up in my doorstep the other week.
so I've got oato coming twice a week, problem is I need slightly more than 2 bottles but not 3 bottles.
it is better than Tesco own and similar cost oatly from Tesco.
I could get oatly from them but I may as well get that in long life version from Tesco.

I'm not yet tempted to switch back but do have a few cartons needing used up in the cupboard.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk