Author Topic: Soylent  (Read 1552 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Soylent
« on: 06 October, 2013, 11:24:55 am »
No, not that Soylent - this one isn't people.

Random nerd decided it would be nice to make a shake that stores well and provides 100% of nutrition - something you could live on.  The recipe and discussions with nutritionists went open-source and variants sprang up.  There are many reasons it's a neat idea, from the original "I just want default_food without it being crap" through to the zombie apocalypse and parallels with plumpy nut.

So, I had to give it a try.  Here's a recipe (there are many more). It's a perfectly palatable oaty smoothie, especially made with vanilla protein. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Soylent
« Reply #1 on: 06 October, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »
Interesting stuff :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:38:05 am »
Wierd - they say there is plenty of vitamin B12 in there but I can't see any foods in that list that contain much B12 at all.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »
Soylent just locked down more than $1 million (£617,000) in funding for its geeky-nutrient-goop crusade

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/24/soylent-is-not-people
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2013, 01:51:33 pm »
Wierd - they say there is plenty of vitamin B12 in there but I can't see any foods in that list that contain much B12 at all.

The Soya protein is fortified and the cocoa powder has a large dose of B12.  Short of using synthetic, beef jerky or dried spinach that is about a good a source of B12 as you will get.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2013, 01:56:59 pm »
I don't think there is any B12 in cocoa powder.

You get B vitamins in meat and yeast.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2013, 02:05:10 pm »

You are right, for some reason I thought the cocoa powder had a high level of B12.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2013, 02:28:50 pm »

You are right, for some reason I thought the cocoa powder had a high level of B12.
'tis a complete protein source tho'.

A bit of cocoa, a bit of soy, some corn, some sort of yeast product; that's a long way to complete nutrition.
<i>Marmite slave</i>