Author Topic: Key safes?  (Read 1783 times)

Key safes?
« on: 18 November, 2019, 04:29:01 pm »
Anyone use one? Any good?

We're thinking of using one for visiting family,  trusted dog walker access. Which model and where to locate? Thinking back door key only. If we're in we can stop the key working outside from the inside. A good and bad thing.

Any alternatives? We don't have a secure door mat out there.

Re: Key safes?
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2019, 05:05:33 pm »
I have used this https://www.toolstation.com/squire-combination-key-safe/p65310 or previous versions on three or four elderly relatives houses with no problems.  Breaking into one to get at the key is more trouble than breaking into the house if you don't have a portable angle grinder or can be accurate with a 7lb  hammer at chest height.

I would suggest a conspicuous  spot rather than "round the back".

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »
Worth checking with your home insurance company with details of the specific model you plan on fitting. They may have specific makes/models they require, and may require it to be installed by a professional (i.e. someone they can chase should it be installed badly).

Finding out your home insurance is invalid when you eventually need it is never going to be fun, and insurance companies love having ways to wriggle out of actually paying out.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »
They smashed my brothers key safe when his house was burgled. I don't know what make/model but it was located in the unused outside loo.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2019, 07:53:30 pm »
The combination ones are easily hackable.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2019, 07:58:42 pm »
We have one here.
Something much like this:

https://keysafe.co.uk/slimline-keysafe.html?ppc_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImO2Pi8X05QIVxNDeCh3P-wQAEAQYBCABEgL3UPD_BwE

The reason it was installed was to let the kids in when they got home from school when they were a bit older.
They would just lose keys they were given.

It's also a great backup for when you lock yourself out.

We installed it in a discreet yet visible location, so that having at it with power tools would be quite public.
I'd avoid placing it in a hidden location, because then the bad guys can have at it for as long as they want.

« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2019, 11:18:07 pm »
Have a look at the Lock-picking Lawyer, or similar before you get one.
I've fitted loads for holiday properties and I can 'pick' the masterlock (Toolstation is a clone) in around a minute.
Also a lump hammer will have a well mounted one reduced into its component parts in seconds - so mount it poorly so when comes off it's intact and will require more noise, and time to defeat. This is stronger from a hammer entry:-
https://keysafe.co.uk/products/key-safes/police-accredited/p500-police-approved-keysafetm.html

Why not just give the trusted dog walker a key?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2019, 08:48:50 am »

+1
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2019, 09:17:09 am »
Recessing it into the brickwork would help.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2019, 09:35:07 am »
Recessing it into the brickwork would help.

...and having one with a proper lock on it!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:12:12 am »
Supra are police/insurance approved.  LPS1175 standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESH4I6k1ys

But at the end of the day, you decide..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:34:13 am »

Is there stuff he likes? The ones I've seen he's basically the "shoddy workmanship" guy from Father Ted.

« Reply #12 on: 23 November, 2019, 01:17:12 am »
We have one here.
Something much like this:

https://keysafe.co.uk/slimline-keysafe.html?ppc_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImO2Pi8X05QIVxNDeCh3P-wQAEAQYBCABEgL3UPD_BwE

The reason it was installed was to let the kids in when they got home from school when they were a bit older.
They would just lose keys they were given.

It's also a great backup for when you lock yourself out.

We installed it in a discreet yet visible location, so that having at it with power tools would be quite public.
I'd avoid placing it in a hidden location, because then the bad guys can have at it for as long as they want.

I don't have one myself but use them regularly visiting patients. I would agree with Feanor you want it in a visible location so that anyone trying to access it with hammer etc. is visible, and not in a hidden away location where the miscreants can happily hack away at it without being seen.

Also if using one for Carers or Health workers visiting patients it's much better if they don't have to spend 20 minutes playing hunt the key safe, or be on their hands and knees behind a holly bush to open it (BTDT).

Of all the ones I've seen, and I see several every shift I work, I've yet to see one that's been broken into. Not saying it doesn't happen, but the nature of their use means that the house they are on is more likely to be occupied than empty and there are probably easier ways to break into a property.