Author Topic: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous  (Read 31764 times)

Re: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous
« Reply #50 on: 06 October, 2013, 11:08:08 am »
What a lovely route that was!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #51 on: 06 October, 2013, 11:43:04 am »
What nice jerseys you Hackney boys have got:

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #52 on: 06 October, 2013, 02:57:12 pm »
Another great day for Anfractuous and Nyctophobic riders with a brief shower in the morning making way to a fine autumnal day. About 110 riders set out and when the dust settled 45 AAAnfractuous Brevets, 25 Less Anfractuous and 33 Nyctophobic Brevets will be validated. Like the old Anfractuous, the Nyctophobic is quite close to being a AAA event. Next year it will probably follow the AAAnfractuous route to Marlow, so watch out for NyctophobiAAA next year!

I had an easy albeit long day thanks to helping hands from Willesden riders Liam, Ian, Ray and Marcus, and Marcus came back later to help run the registration desk, a taste of glories yet to come. Special thanks though go to Caroline and John who saw the riders fed and watered on their return. It's a long haul when running the Arrivee on a 100 & 200 day, as we left home at midday and were not back until 11pm.

And for all you grizzled old road warriors, here's a picture of our youngest rider, age 7, signing her Nyctophobic Brevet. How cool is that!

Alexandria was riding a tagalong with her father whilst her mother and elder brothe rode solo's. I suspect her father did most of the work. Well done dad!

Martin

« Reply #53 on: 06 October, 2013, 04:14:32 pm »
Like the old Anfractuous, the Nyctophobic is quite close to being a AAA event. Next year it will probably follow the AAAnfractuous route to Marlow, so watch out for the NyctophobiAAA!

that's good GdS news,

out of interest is there any extra climbing to be had by using Welders Lane rather than Hedgerley Green? we used the latter as I'm not a great fan of the M/A40 double roundabout on the official route

Manotea

« Reply #54 on: 06 October, 2013, 04:18:36 pm »
out of interest is there any extra climbing to be had by using Welders Lane rather than Hedgerley Green? we used the latter as I'm not a great fan of the M/A40 double roundabout on the official route
Possibly but it's marginal. The Welders Lane route probably benefits as much in AAA terms by being shorter rather than hillier. It's always struck me as an unknown anomaly that the Nycto takes the Hedgerley Lane route home by default. That will change with the NyctophobiAAA which will take the Welders Lane route.

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #55 on: 06 October, 2013, 04:32:18 pm »
Superbly organised as usual Manotea! Thanks very much to you and the team.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #56 on: 06 October, 2013, 05:30:01 pm »
Great event and route! Bit of everything - challenging hills, some long flat fast sections (mainly Lambourn to Pangbourne) to recover a bit from the hills, open farmlands, woodlands, lanes, b-roads. Thanks Paul and crew for a pleasant day out! Highly recommended ride I'd certainly return to if I can!

Martin

« Reply #57 on: 06 October, 2013, 06:53:35 pm »
Possibly but it's marginal. The Welders Lane route probably benefits as much in AAA terms by being shorter rather than hillier. It's always struck me as an unknown anomaly that the Nycto takes the Hedgerley Lane route home by default. That will change with the NyctophobiAAA which will take the Welders Lane route.

you could always use the Severn Across approach with an info (although that involves even more A40)

NyctophobiAAA;

I prefer Hilly Willy!

<pedant>
the Less Anfractuous is probably strictly speaking more
</pedant>

« Reply #58 on: 06 October, 2013, 07:31:20 pm »
Hedgerley Lane

I just use Hedgerley Lane as default whatever ride it is. Period.

Mainly because: at that point in the day, I'm very tired and have sometimes come close to being catapolted 12ft in the air because of the fact, & also, because it's no shorter in distance than the designated route, I sleep conscience-free. And I don't look to claim AAA points anyway if there is any loss in climbing.

It's a no brainer for me.
Garry Broad

« Reply #59 on: 06 October, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »
Got chatting to a guy of South African origin called Justin up until Benson. He was doing his first Audax and came from a background of riding Sportives - [what a fitting addition to a Manotea ride, eh? :-) ] Our paths diverged at Benson and I didn't see him again because of frame issues and had to pack. But I'm curious to know if he got round ok?
Garry Broad

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #60 on: 06 October, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »
I commute reasonably regularly from London to Beaconsfield - I use Welder's Lane less and less these days due to having to play chicken too often by having to place myself in the centre of the lane to get a Buckinghamshire knobber in a wankpanzer to slow down to something reasonable to pass a bike.  They just don't get how terrifying it is to have 2 tonnes of metal pass you at even 30 mph on a lane like that.  I have no problem with any driver that slows down to 10-15mph.

The double roundabouts can be a little terrifying.  There aren't many alternatives to it - well, legal ones anyway.  You can hop through the Hall Barn Estate and over the footbridge - but it's a footpath - but it's a route I take to get to Beaconsfield often.  You'd still have to tackle one of the roundabouts, unless you popped down into New Beaconsfield. 

Hedgerley Lane is great, very unused by cars really - I use it pretty much all the time going in and out of Beacs these days.

Sadly that bit of Beaconsfield is really rather unfriendly on a bike, there's no provision at all, so it's all about riding on roundabouts and roads with drivers who are in motorway mentality.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #61 on: 06 October, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »
Has the season start/end date changed again ?
My two points for this seem to have been added to my 2013 total rather starting the ball rolling for the new season.

Manotea

« Reply #62 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:12:34 pm »
Got chatting to a guy of South African origin called Justin up until Benson. He was doing his first Audax and came from a background of riding Sportives - [what a fitting addition to a Manotea ride, eh? :-) ] Our paths diverged at Benson and I didn't see him again because of frame issues and had to pack. But I'm curious to know if he got round ok?
That was Paul Gould; he packed at Wantage. He had time in hand but felt he didn't have the legs to carry on. I met Paul when I was marshelling the penultimate control on the Tour of the Hills. He was finding that event tough and did well to finish. Meanwhile, his Anfractuous dream lives on!

Has the season start/end date changed again ?
My two points for this seem to have been added to my 2013 total rather starting the ball rolling for the new season.

Dont worry pete, there is usually a hiatus around change of season time.  Things will sort themselves out shortly.

« Reply #63 on: 06 October, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
That was Paul Gould; he packed at Wantage. He had time in hand but felt he didn't have the legs to carry on. I met Paul when I was marshelling the penultimate control on the Tour of the Hills. He was finding that event tough and did well to finish. Meanwhile, his Anfractuous dream lives on!
Oh right, ok thanks. Shame. He was doing perfectly fine at Benson but curious to know what lay ahead.
[Not sure where I got 'Justin' from though?]
Garry Broad

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #64 on: 06 October, 2013, 09:20:15 pm »
This is a cracking ride!  The new AAAnfracuous is Manotea's old Anfractuous with a bit of extra "goat-iness": the main addition being a run down into High (Low?) Wycombe and a stern climb out again, which neatly avoids the flatter rat run to Marlow.  Plus the climb up Welders Lane at the end.  I started the season in 2012 with an Essex run that felt to me like a ride through the mountainous bits of Wales, but a year of audax has moved my fitness on and, feeling adventurous after a AAA perm last weekend, I thought I'd start the new season with something a bit bigger.  As an aside, Grimpeur d'Anglia d'Est isn't going to catch on any time soon and us flatlanders don't get to practise AAA that often, so it is a bit of novelty for us  ::-)

Having collected my brevet from a cheery MarcusJB, we gathered in the morning gloom for an earlier-than-advertised start.  A bit of joviality set in: "are you turning left or right?", with left being the AAA route and right being the Less(er).  It's not a race, and you can't get extra points for being hillier-than-thou, except that you cAAAn  ;)

A bit of lethargy in the legs of quicker riders and I find myself on the front of the fast-road run to the left-turn-and-start-climbing: safe in the knowledge that it's only a temporary situation and I'll be going backwards soon enough.  My aims are simple: to ride up every climb to the top, and to finish during daylight, which is about 11.5 hours; I later amend the latter to riding at an overall average 20kph, which is about 10 hours 25 minutes.  Starting quickly while I am able to means I should have a bit extra time in hand to throw at the climbs, which are going to be very very slow: with a 34-inch climbing gear, I am going to be with the fixies in terms of climbing technique on the bigger climbs.  Sure enough, we turn left, drop down a little and then turn right and start to climb: at this point a group of riders pass and leave me to eat dust and leaves, but it's okay, that's in the plan.

There are three major controls on the ride, and numerous info controls on the four stages in between. The first leg to Benson has just the one significant climb out of High Wycombe; this leg includes the on-paper onerous climb up Christmas Common, but in reality it's just a long draggy climb, nothing too painful.  The second leg to Wantage includes the attention-grabbing climb out of Streatley, which is a tough climb, and the rest of the leg feels flat by comparison.  The third leg starts with a long 5-10% gradient with a long, fast drop off the back to Lambourn, and the rest of the leg is completely benign and on average downhill to Pangbourne.  The final leg is the hardest leg, starting immediately with a stiff climb out of Pangbourne and includes several 10%+ gradients such as Fawley Hill and Colestrope Lane, with several shorter grimps worthy of mention, such as Welder's Lane.

After the first climb I found myself with James and Anthony and we bimbled along happily.  James noted that it's only when he comes southwards that features called "grassy triangles" appear on the routesheet: apparently this is a southern thing.  James stops to mark his brevet with the info at Penn, I take a photo-on-the-go for later and ride on, finding myself suddenly alongside somebody else.  On the fast downhill from Penn I catch and pass a group – definitely gravity-assisted! before we turn left and right for another uphill.  Inevitably I am caught, but 9.8ms-2 drags me off the front again on the descent down into High Wycombe (oxymorons abound) until the lights at the bottom.  I lead the group to the bottom of the next climb and up it for, in a generous spirit, a good 20m before I am spat out the back: these Hackney goats attack in herds!  I take a couple of photos to make it look like I intended to go backwards, but I know they know it's not true.

I grimp to the top with my HR hitting 177 – and that's on only the first serious climb of the day!  As I get there James catches me up and we ride on together.  It's nice to have company, as the last few rides have been DIYs or perms.  A missed direction on the GPS before we get to Marlow and James again stops at the info control to mark his brevet and I again grab a photo-on-the-go and start the long climb up Christmas Common.  I figure that if I make progress now, I will be caught later anyway, so no harm done.  The first part of the climb winches up between steep banks in the way that many ancient roads do in these parts.  The road surface is shocking and so I take my time.  Eventually the gradient levels off a bit and I hit third gear (out of six) and settle down for a spinning session.

The weather is very pleasant for cycling in: it's overcast and the temperature is around 14ºC.  Having moved the ride a few weeks earlier in the calendar, autumn hasn't made itself felt yet, so the views of forests – and there are a lot of forests in these parts – are picture-postcard Green and Pleasant Land.  The ancient lanes that we are riding pass through many of the forests and inside the way is gloomy, like something out of a remake of Robin Hood, and the sides are steeply banked for some traditional purpose.  It is truly gorgeous in a way that the Chilterns do so well.

Occasionally on the climb I can see a glimpse of a bike light behind me, but they never quite catch up, go figure: not trying hard enough methinks.  As I pass through Christmas Common a bit of drizzle starts. I curse as I realise I didn't bring a waterproof: the forecast said I didn't need one  :facepalm:  Never mind, it's only water.  It doesn't last long anyway, but a reminder that we are now in autumn and a 'proof of some sort is required, just in case.  When I get to Watlington, I decide it's time to put the hammer down a bit: I have a plate of beans with my name on it at the control and I want to be ahead of the queue.  I pick a higher gear and get my race face on: it's gently downhill for much of the way, but the occasional uppy bit needs a push.  I can't see anyone else behind me as I get to Benson and I get served immediately, it was worth it  :smug:  I bump into Pppete at the control: he rode the Less and got there a bit earlier, and we are joined by MattC, who's out for a ride, just not this one, and Lars.

Pppete and Lars leave before me, and I set off on a mission to catch them.  I can see a rider that looks, from the rear, like it's Pppete, but as I close in, less so: I meet PhilW for the first time, and we chat to Goring.  We compare tactical notes on Streatley Hill, which is the big climb of the day at 125m over 1.3km and getting steeper all the way up to 1:6 at the top.  Phil's going for a low-gear spinning approach; I am going for a lowest-gear grind (34", remember?).  When I rode my first AAA, Yr Elenydd, earlier this year, I would've had to have walked a good deal of this hill, but I threw everything at it and got to the top of Streatley in one go, yay  ;D  Phil has gained 100m on me and the "Green Love" rider (I'm not sure that's an accurate translation) has caught and passed me.

We regroup a kilometre up the road and pass Pppete as it looks like he's fighting a bag of Jelly Babies; he quickly joins us.  We pass Teethgrinder sat on a park bench in Compton tucking into a bottle of ginger beer by the look of it.  We don't stop at the info control: somehow I forget to photograph it later, minor paranoia sets in as I try not to forget  :facepalm:  At some point I find myself unable to match the gear of the other two and I end up riding off the front of the group, expecting them to catch me on the next climb.

In West Isley I catch up with the Hackney Goats group, who stopped for something.  I pace the group up the hill, but they're a shade slow for the gear I am turning so I leapfrog them on the climb.  They pace me for a while, but get bored and I stretch out.  We're near the control now, and again it's time to put in a burst to beat the queue.  It's a very open run down into Wantage and I manage to stay clear out in the front, just getting caught by Green Love at a red light in Wantage.  There's a large pile of bikes outside the control, but the queue isn't huge in the museum; however the guy at the front, a family man, appears to be ordering a 3-course dinner for ten, dish-by-dish, aaargh!  By the time I do the control admin and eat a piece of cake, Pppete and PhilW have caught me up.  We debate the difficulty of Streatley: I reckon it's not as hard as Llancloudy on the BCM, they reckon it's harder. On paper they're very similar, but I walked Llancloudy, I rode Streatley  :)  The wait for Mr Family Guy has cost me a few minutes and my overall average speed is slightly under my target 20kph.

Out of Wantage there's a long, steep, open drag and I can see groups of riders up the hill ahead of me.  One of the riders looks suspiciously like Teethgrinder: you can tell by the panniers.  I pick a low-low gear and settle in for 15 minutes of spinning.  From the top it's a long gentle slope down to Lambourn. A quick snap of the info answer and I double back to a chippie that's still open: this grimping requires a decent amount of input!  The rest of the leg to Pangbourne is relatively benign with just a couple of short climbs, but the scenery is very lovely and the roads are quiet.  I catch up with Teethgrinder again, as he'd passed me when I stopped for chips.  We pretty much pace each other, as he is having a leisurely day on the bike: I have no doubt that when he starts grinding teeth properly then I won't be pacing him!

TG's being so leisurely I ride off the front, pass a group of riders who turned left on the downhill before the easy-to-miss left on the routesheet: if it's easy to miss then that really obvious left should be the wrong one, no?  :P  I lead by example and turn left at the not-so-obvious left and ride on to Pangbourne, where I think I spot Sir Wobbly at the pub?  I grab a sticker and some milk from Henry's.  From Pangbourne, the real climb-after-climb section starts with a stiff one up the valley.  I grind my way to the top with quite a few riders passing me: I am both tired and over-geared.  To cheer myself up, I take a couple of photos, make it look like I am slow with a purpose  :facepalm:

I catch up with TG again – he really is taking it easy! – and we ride together for a bit, me leapfrogging him when the gradient is exactly right for me, and he riding ahead the rest/most of the time.  At Fawley Hill, the first of the steepety-steep climbs, TG grimps ahead out of sight and the next flattish section isn't long enough for me to catch up with him again.  I won't see him again until arrivée.  I am now on my own.  I keep looking behind to watch for the next rider to pass me, but by now all the quicker riders are ahead and all the slower riders are behind, so I am in a world of my own.  It's very peaceful in the lanes, the weather having brightened somewhat from earlier and autumn hasn't quite caught hold, absolutely lovely!  I don't mind the solitude.

After a steep, brake-wearing descent, and a right-at-T, I arrive at the bottom of Colestrope Lane.  On paper this climb is a bit of a git, and I take heed of Sir Wobbly's wobbly-related comment on this hill, up-thread.  It's 103m over 1.5km, so on paper it's less difficult than Streatley, but most of the elevation gain is in the last 500m, making this an absolute brute.  I settle in for a 5kph grimp that should take about 15 minutes, so long as I can keep rotating the pedals.  The start is benign enough and gradually steepens before levelling off a little.  The road itself is enclosed in another woodland, not so ancient this one, but deciduous rather than a Welsh or Scottish ever-green variety, so really lovely and mysterious.  Just past the new, modern-style construction on the left, the road ramps up and I am honking out of the saddle, and then back down as the front wheel starts to lift.  This is really hard.  The back wheel is starting to slip on the wet patches, I am wobbling all over the place and my speed is now hovering around 3kph.  I can hear a motor behind me, but. I. Am. Going. To. Make. It. To. The. Top!  I pull into a passing place and let the white van past without putting a foot down and continue grinding.  I can hear a bigger engine behind me now: a big Range Rover.  I shake my head: I am not going to give up this hill for some Chelsea tractor.  Eventually the gradient eases, we've reached the top and another passing place, and as I inch across to it and wave the RR through, I lose control on the dirt and have to unclip: my only foot-down all day!  They refuse to pass me, so I clip back in and ride on: they immediately pull in to the farm next to where I'd waved them through. Bugger.  Still, the phone box at the top is a pleasant sight: you don't see too many of those these days, a lovely homage to another time.  Probably doesn't work.

After this I drop back down to Marlow, right and over the Thames, before left and a stern climb up Quarry Wood Hill: the gradient isn't really that much until you get to the hairpin and at the apex it's tremendously steep, so I follow the centreline around the corner: I'm lit up like a Christmas tree and it is an allowed manoeuvre, but there aren't any cars around anyway.  It's getting a bit dull riding on my own now, so I take a picture of the hill and another of today's "office"  :facepalm:

A quick stop at the top to double-check the info control question and it's a fast descent back down to the Thames on the other side of the hill, snapping the info control on the way past.  Then a main-road drag out of Cookham, before turning right up Hedsor road towards Harvest Hill. At this point the road is completely blocked with cars to the point I can't even squeeze the bike through: gridlock.  The whole thing caused because some 18-year-old demanded that he had right of way and absolutely refused to go backwards, didn't understand the word "gridlock", and couldn't see that the quickest solution for himself was for him to reverse.  And then started mocking my bike: from a spotty oik in a Nissan Micra that was taking the biscwit  :facepalm:  Worse, his dad appeared to be standing behind his son's car in shame, trying to not get involved: yoof of today?  Or just a random twat?  I eventually found the necessary gap and rode on up the hill, the adrenalin putting a massive grin on my face as I honked up Harvest Hill and considered all the retorts I should've used had my wits been quicker (choice insults really aren't my thing).

Now at the top there are only a couple of iddy-biddy climbs left, so when the route spits us out onto the busy A355 over the M40 and then right onto the A40, I don't feel the need to hold anything back and time trial with the traffic.  All the cars pull over into the outside lane to pass and I dare the cars on the roundabout to pull out in front of me.  Left towards Jordans and then a bit of a lump right up Welder's Lane and we are spat out at the top of Chalfont, giving us a nice, fast descent into Chalfont St Peter.  Left, left, left, left and left again and here we are at arrivée!  :)

So, how did I do?  10 hours 45 minutes – 20 minutes outside my own 20kph target time: I lost time at the museum control with the queue, at Henry's when I put the water in before the protein powder (and it just takes ages to get the powder into a full bottle of water) and the final stage was about 1kph slower than target, boo!  But I am very pleased with that, because it's still a respectable time for me, and it was very much daylight when I finished  :thumbsup:

That was a fantastic day on the bike and I really enjoyed it!  The route was intricate enough to be interesting all the time, yet not so intricate you got lost.  The terrain and scenery were lovely.  The climbs were hard and very satisfying.  And best of all I didn't have to drive very far to take part, so was home in time for supper  ;D

The negative result from this self-harm we call audax is a significant Achille's creaking and soreness, so I may be off the bike for a week or three.

A couple of heros at the finish: the chap on the left rode is Jeremy who rode his 1952 bicycle around The AAAnfractuous, dressed like he was when he bought it (although I am not sure clip-in pedals were around at that time, and possibly neither was he), and the chap zigzag standing on the right apparently rode the AAA in 8.5 hours FIXED SINGLESPEED!!  (The chap in the middle was tired, but clearly still a hero of sorts.)  Edit: the chap in the middle is Von Broad of broken-frame fame, so truly another hero!!

Thank you Paul for putting the event on – I will definitely be looking at riding it again next year.  Thank you Marcus for being cheery both ends of the day with the brevets.  And thank you the two in the kitchen who gamely debated the relative merits of bacon butty versus cheese toasty with me at the end  ;)

Edit: removed the info control answers after an elbow in the ribs from another organiser; apparently they don't always change every year (this is still my first 12 months so I didn't know, sorry).
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #65 on: 06 October, 2013, 10:45:21 pm »
Impressed with the number of pictures you took. The chap in the middle was Von Broad of broken frame fame. I was sat chatting to him for a while, whilst I ate my lovely bacon butty and my tea. I'd left by the time you came in.  I finished at 5:25pm, put the bike on the rack on the car, changed into my sandals, had a drink , picked up a change of clothes then wandered over to Arrivee to complete formalities.

Teethgrinder rode to the start and was riding home, so something around 200 miles for him I think he said. Nice day for 300km.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #66 on: 06 October, 2013, 11:19:52 pm »
I baggsie Lanterne Rouge.
I, together with Luke & Peter were last home possibly at 9:15pm. That's 13h 15min after managing 8h 10min last year. How times change.
My excuse was 3 punctures early on and a visit to the LBS in High wycombe to purchase a new tyre. Got going after that and the benifits of no queues at the controls. Unfortunatly I had spent all my money on the tyre and had limited funds or time. Five hours different though!!!! :'(
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #67 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:01:54 am »
Impressed with the number of pictures you took. The chap in the middle was Von Broad of broken frame fame. I was sat chatting to him for a while, whilst I ate my lovely bacon butty and my tea. I'd left by the time you came in.  I finished at 5:25pm, put the bike on the rack on the car, changed into my sandals, had a drink , picked up a change of clothes then wandered over to Arrivee to complete formalities.

Teethgrinder rode to the start and was riding home, so something around 200 miles for him I think he said. Nice day for 300km.

Noted on Von Broad, post updated to reflect hero status  :thumbsup:

It was good to ride with you, Phil.

« Reply #68 on: 07 October, 2013, 02:02:41 am »

Phil has gained 100m on me and the "Green Love" rider (I'm not sure that's an accurate translation) has caught and passed me.

Green Love somehow sounds so much better, but I'm afraid Groene Leeuw means "Green Lion". 
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #69 on: 07 October, 2013, 04:03:55 am »
Oh right, ok thanks. Shame. He was doing perfectly fine at Benson but curious to know what lay ahead.
[Not sure where I got 'Justin' from though?]

Could well have been a Justin - it wasn't me - I did pack it in at Wantage though - I hit a really bad patch just after Compton and (probably a bit prematurely) decided it was not going to be my day, deciding to have a leisurely ride back home to Reading instead.
Maqny thanks to Paul for putting on a great event - I will be back!!!

Paul Gould

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #70 on: 07 October, 2013, 09:22:17 am »
Phil has gained 100m on me and the "Green Love" rider (I'm not sure that's an accurate translation) has caught and passed me.

Green Love somehow sounds so much better, but I'm afraid Groene Leeuw means "Green Lion".

Thanks  ;D

Manotea

« Reply #71 on: 07 October, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
Thanks for the great ride report Wilkyboy. I'm glad you enjoyed the day.

The other hero in shot is Zigzag, who was first home on the AAAnfractuous riding a very nice carbon singlespeed bike. For those that don't know, Zigzag rode Mike Hall's unsupported race from London to Istanbul this summer. A free route with just two controls, one at least of which was on top of a mountain. Zigzag completed the route in 11 days coming in 6th place, but winning a special prize for the longest route - a new pair of tyres!

As you can see, Zigzag is so fast that even in repose not even the camera can catch him!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #72 on: 07 October, 2013, 11:01:58 am »
big thanks to Manotea and his support crew for putting on this event. i had a great day out (if a bit lonely), chose my ss bike for a better workout. compared to last years' anfractuous this aaa version had 400m extra climbing and was 6km longer, so took 14min extra to complete. rode with ekimeno for the first hour or so, then on my own the rest of the way until colstrope lane where i walked the top third of the hill together with swisshat (it's the first hill ever that i walked since i took up cycling years ago :D, but having mainly ridden gears before hills were never a problem). rode back home as well making it to 266km for the day.
it was the last audax for me this year as i'll be having elbow surgery done in november and rehab-ing afterwards.

strava fwiw

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #73 on: 07 October, 2013, 11:03:44 am »
The other hero in shot is Zigzag, who was first home on the AAAnfractuous riding a very nice carbon singlespeed bike.

Thanks.  I thought I recognised zigzag, but not his bike: I rode back from the pub with him the night before BCM and he was riding a seven-speed double then, IIRC (I know it's not about the bike, but so often, with ageing memories, it is!  :facepalm:)  Post updated.

« Reply #74 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:06:47 pm »
Big thanks to the organiser and all of the helpers - really nice route and very well put together. Some beautiful scenery when I could lift my head to look at it  :)

I've not been on the bike much recently and that, coupled with leaving at 8 on on the AAA was probably a mistake as I didn't get back until after dark; but a lesson learned for next year. Although it did mean I got to ride some of the wooded sections in total darkness, I have good lights so although it was fun, it was mixed with mild panic as I recalled every horror film I'd ever seen involving lonely people in the woods.................

One big advantage of riding in the dark is you can't see the top of the climbs, so all you can do is keep pedaling  ;D