Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 100985 times)

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: The Dean
« Reply #475 on: 10 March, 2020, 09:50:47 pm »
Have a look in your Spam folder.
Thanks, not spam but contact now made. Web entry weirdness. Ta.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #476 on: 10 March, 2020, 10:24:42 pm »
Are we able to park at the services for a reasonable price, or is it best to park away from  the services ??

This page tells you all you could wish to know. I've gone for the automated Hozah thing. One less thing to think about...

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/directory_record/352/pear_tree_park_and_ride

« Reply #477 on: 11 March, 2020, 06:44:46 pm »
316km (3240m)  route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31966755

310km route (2930m - does include section of A48) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31997560

311km (3170m) route (no A48 section) - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32062509

The 310km route is fine, drove along the potentially wet bit today. No problem, road was well above flood
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #478 on: 13 March, 2020, 04:25:26 pm »
316km (3240m)  route - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31966755

310km route (2930m - does include section of A48) https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31997560

311km (3170m) route (no A48 section) - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32062509

The 310km route is fine, drove along the potentially wet bit today. No problem, road was well above flood

Thanks for checking BlackSheep. I was secretly hoping to pop into The Royal Hop Pole for a cheeky breakfast via the diversion ;)

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #479 on: 16 March, 2020, 12:55:57 pm »
Loads of toads crossing the road near marlborough. Hope nobody ran any over.
Must be an annual thing, same this year.. not Biblical thank goodness!
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #480 on: 16 March, 2020, 02:49:01 pm »
I only had clouds of flies to deal with... must dig out the sun glasses from their winter storage.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #481 on: 16 March, 2020, 06:41:01 pm »
I narrowly missed one on the last leg from Bampton to Oxford

Eddington  127miles, 170km

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #482 on: 06 March, 2023, 07:13:21 pm »
Just checking if anyone has seen a route sheet for the 2023 edition circulating yet?
The controls seem fairly obvious on the gpx file, but I like to review it before hand if I can.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #483 on: 06 March, 2023, 08:12:58 pm »
Just checking if anyone has seen a route sheet for the 2023 edition circulating yet?
The controls seem fairly obvious on the gpx file, but I like to review it before hand if I can.
controls are traditionally
oxford
stowe
newent
chepstow
malmesbury
marlborough (info)
membury services
bampton
oxford  (they used to allow finishing at the train station, but as a BRM returning to pear tree services will be mandatory

email was sent on march the second though

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #484 on: 06 March, 2023, 11:39:15 pm »
email was sent on march the second though

Ah, thank you. Looks like another 2 emails sent today too, but all three had gone to the spam folder   ::-)
Now retrieved. Cheers

« Reply #485 on: 07 March, 2023, 11:55:34 am »
I'm hoping any snow melts in time, and that the Friday night isn't cold enough for ice...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #486 on: 07 March, 2023, 01:13:25 pm »
I'm hoping any snow melts in time, and that the Friday night isn't cold enough for ice...
forecast for 7C in Oxford on Friday, any snow will be melted long before the start

same in Newent and Chepstow. reckon it will be fine.

Overnight lows of 2C so expect some frost on the roads early doors. Watch out for the corner in Bledington. Should be the typical misty valleys in the Cotswolds. Enjoy the views around the Wychwood and on the way to Winchcombe

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #487 on: 08 March, 2023, 09:40:29 am »
2023 The Dean has a new shorter route to the finish at Peartree Services than last year's route:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=125184.0

ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #488 on: 08 March, 2023, 09:41:41 am »
Yes, see https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=125184.0
Is under new management I see. With refreshments at the start and also ale at the arivee. Anyone know if the start is still peartree before I book the hotel?

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #489 on: 08 March, 2023, 09:51:44 am »
forecast for 7C in Oxford on Friday, any snow will be melted long before the start

Overnight lows of 2C so expect some frost on the roads early doors. Watch out for the corner in Bledington. Should be the typical misty valleys in the Cotswolds. Enjoy the views around the Wychwood and on the way to Winchcombe

My forecast has 5° max Friday and -2°C overnight so I'll definitely be on alert for any lingering pockets of ice on the lanes.
Also, need to allow an extra 20 mins dressing time for all those extra layers I'll be donning 😂

« Reply #490 on: 08 March, 2023, 09:53:13 am »

The Met Office has changed their forecast to -3C on the Friday night, coupled with the rain/snow from Thu and Friday, it's looking pretty bad for ice :'(

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #491 on: 08 March, 2023, 11:25:24 am »

The Met Office has changed their forecast to -3C on the Friday night, coupled with the rain/snow from Thu and Friday, it's looking pretty bad for ice :'(
yes, temperature forcecast has dropped since I posted., heavy rain and mild temperatures tomorrow should clear away the snow, the only question is whether Friday is enough to dry the roads out before the sub zero temperatures on Friday night.

I'll wait until Friday before worrying too much, everything is very fluid 3 days out. as it stands chance of ice on any ungritted road before noon I would say. Concerning on the roads between Stowe and Winchcombe and also the descent to Bishops Cleve.

« Reply #492 on: 08 March, 2023, 12:17:06 pm »
Too chilly for me to be outdoors for 16hrs i'm afraid. Good luck to the Audacious randonneurs who give it a go.

Any reason that the finishes along the A40 nowadays? I know Oxford Station rail bridge is closed to motor traffic but assumed it was open to peds. Or is it to do with minimum distances?

« Reply #493 on: 08 March, 2023, 12:49:34 pm »
If the route does use the A40 into Peartree, there are cycle lanes alongside between Eynsham and Oxford (a lot of repurposed pavement + some new shared pavement).

The work on the Botely Road has not started yet (delayed), but when in place there will be continual cycle and pedestrian access under the railway bridge (according to traffic plans released recently).

« Reply #494 on: 08 March, 2023, 01:22:02 pm »
The A40 will be empty, at least at full-value o’clock. Avoiding slogging into and then out of the middle of Oxford is a big improvement.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #495 on: 08 March, 2023, 02:19:58 pm »
Too chilly for me to be outdoors for 16hrs i'm afraid. Good luck to the Audacious randonneurs who give it a go.

Any reason that the finishes along the A40 nowadays? I know Oxford Station rail bridge is closed to motor traffic but assumed it was open to peds. Or is it to do with minimum distances?
I think because the control put in at Bampton to ensure minimum distance is 300km makes this the shorter route, it's about 7km further and having to contend with oxford city centre traffic.

Eynsham - Botley - pear tree = 15km
Eynsham - A40 - Pear tree = 7.8km  (4.8km on the A40)

However personally I would rather cross the A40 at Eynsham, and proceed through cassington and yarnton to return along the A44. It's only the same length of A44 used on the outbound route, and there is a wide pavement that may or may not be officially a cycle path, but looks very bike suitable if traffic levels make people uncomfortable.

Eynsham - A44 - pear tree = 8.1km (1.6km on the A44)

I don't know if the organiser has decided the A44 is not bike suitable in the evenings, or if this is done to avoid confusion on the outbound route with the fork in the gpx track.

if I had used the A40, I certainly would not loop all the way around the A44/A34 junction  to enter the services as per the route sheet, instead taking the park and ride exit and walking in to the services from the pedestrian stairs in the corner of the services car park. (maybe lock the bike in the car before getting a receipt)

« Reply #496 on: 08 March, 2023, 03:11:10 pm »
Cheers all.

I only ask because when i compared the new .gpx to the one i had stored in RWGPS from 2018ish, i noticed the inclusion of the Bampton control. That route came in at 302km so could well imagine someone getting it done under that if willing(mad enough) to ride on the A420/A34 on the run-in.

« Reply #497 on: 08 March, 2023, 04:46:19 pm »
Some years ago (cant remember which year exactly) there was heavy snow the night before this event.  I believe that there were still two or three riders that finished the event but there was a lot of talk that the event should have been cancelled that year.

Good luck to everyone that is riding this year and fingers crossed for no icy roads.

« Reply #498 on: 08 March, 2023, 04:55:04 pm »
Some years ago (cant remember which year exactly) there was heavy snow the night before this event.  I believe that there were still two or three riders that finished the event but there was a lot of talk that the event should have been cancelled that year.

Good luck to everyone that is riding this year and fingers crossed for no icy roads.
That was 2013, and my first Audax month. I was sensible enough to look out the window, see the snow, decide not to cycle to the start but try to sleep a bit longer, opting to drive there instead.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #499 on: 08 March, 2023, 05:57:11 pm »
Jo (red Marley) gave me his Travelodge room, so I went to Oxford for the first time, had a curry with Caerau (FOTP), then spent the next day going round all the museums