Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 521718 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #325 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:32:38 am »
They come in 18" and 22" frames.  I suspect yours is the smaller as the latter would appear to stretch to fit giants.

Being of shorter stature than you, I would expect to be able to ride one of the 18" bikes I have ordered for at least enough distance to get me to an MEMWNS pub at some point. I have pastel blue and deep turquoise on order so I should look very Glaswegian out there  :thumbsup:

Having researched their online store it doesn't appear they do them anymore, OD must have a limited edition.... best you get onto Ebay for a pair

You can probably sew me up a pair from one of the many Cath Kidston items that you have in your collection.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #327 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:36:02 am »
You can probably sew me up a pair from one of the many Cath Kidston items that you have in your collection.

Not sure that a ladies handbag is that easy to sew into a seat cover  ::-)

Panic over:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BASIL-LADIES-SADDLE-SEAT-COVER-BIKE-CYCLE-BICYCLE-LADIES-GIRLS-/380848615711?var=&hash=item58ac58b11f:m:mEzj794iTh5FOvZ9AdlSJgw

:thumbsup: I have no doubt yourself and OD will look very fetching with your his n hers  :o

« Reply #328 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:36:59 am »
Or, indeed, hers and hers.

The Retiree

« Reply #329 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:37:35 am »

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #330 on: 31 January, 2016, 08:42:35 am »
THIS has got the go ahead, more details coming out soon.

First May Bank Holiday, cider, sausages, camping, family oriented.  Sounds promising!

« Reply #331 on: 02 February, 2016, 09:40:05 am »
This is for the MEMWNS technical team.  DL, that is not you  :facepalm:

My Flyer still has the stock wheels and chainset which, not fantastic hubs in the wet apart, have been fine for winter.  When I sell the Equilibrium I would like to use whatever of the proceeds I am allowed to keep on some upgrades.  I would like some lighter summer wheels.  Should I go for a 1/8 set up or stick with the 3/32 I have now which would make swapping back in the winter easier ?  Which hubs, what bottom bracket, chainset etc ?

Thoughts ?

The Retiree

« Reply #332 on: 02 February, 2016, 09:42:36 am »

What you actually meant was this is for MEMWNS technical team the BFC! I'm happy to give you some advice on how not to go swimming on a ride when not partaking in a triathlon  O:-)

« Reply #333 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:38:24 am »
Tomsk and Oaky are audax legends on fixed steeds and their input would also be helpful.

I know I won't get round an SR unless I improve my fitness and the bike.

The Retiree

« Reply #334 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:42:26 am »
I know I won't get round an SR unless I improve my fitness and the bike.

Have you thought about popping Lance a line? That's as in Armstrong not OD who I know is now pumping out the high watts and cadence with his new spinning regime

« Reply #335 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:52:38 am »
I will leave the indoor stuff to our very own constant 110rpm man OD.

Did I not specifically ask you not to get involved in the technical stuff I wanted to know about and leave a bit of bandwidth for people who know what they are talking about  >:(

The Retiree

« Reply #336 on: 02 February, 2016, 10:58:15 am »
I will leave the indoor stuff to our very own constant 110rpm man OD.

Or Jiberjaber who is consistently smashing out the Sufferfest videos on Trainer Roads these days, maybe another potential for you in Ted's Cave

Did I not specifically ask you not to get involved in the technical stuff I wanted to know about and leave a bit of bandwidth for people who know what they are talking about  >:(

I think they're all ignoring you mate (sorry to be the bearer of bad news) have a chat with the BFC tomorrow night if he is in attendance after all he is your fixed guru  :)

« Reply #337 on: 02 February, 2016, 11:02:39 am »
Or maybe they actually have work to do or possibly can't get a word in edgeways ?

The Retiree

« Reply #338 on: 02 February, 2016, 11:04:16 am »
Or maybe they actually have work to do or possibly can't get a word in edgeways ?

What about multi-tasking? Granted you do have a lot to say on here  >:(

« Reply #339 on: 02 February, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »
Ted, re the Domane Headset bearings....The Cane Creek tool to find the bearings works for the top one but not the bottom. After a couple of failed attempts I ended up calling Thomas's and just getting it from them, they got it right first time and the price was reasonable. Installing is easy, no pressing etc.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #340 on: 02 February, 2016, 01:19:19 pm »
Re chainsets ted. I've always used Stronglights from Spa Cycles but then again I've always used square taper cartridge type bottom brackets. I've no experience of external bearing BBs, although huggy has. Stronglight have a range of chainsets from quite basic to quite bling.

The Retiree

« Reply #341 on: 02 February, 2016, 02:01:30 pm »
OD it appears that we have been doing the 'MEMWNS Initiation' all wrong........  :facepalm: Isn't this how we are supposed to be doing it!?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #342 on: 02 February, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »

My Flyer still has the stock wheels and chainset which, not fantastic hubs in the wet apart, have been fine for winter.  When I sell the Equilibrium I would like to use whatever of the proceeds I am allowed to keep on some upgrades.  I would like some lighter summer wheels.  Should I go for a 1/8 set up or stick with the 3/32 I have now which would make swapping back in the winter easier ?  Which hubs, what bottom bracket, chainset etc ?

Thoughts ?

You can run a 1/8 chain on 3/32 cogs/chainrings, but not the other way round. May be a bit noisier...

You might be able to get/improvise better sealing arrangements for your Flyer's original hubs: oil soaked string wrapped tight and thick around the axle was the old skool solution. Francis Thurmer's 'Hard to Find' catalogue used to do foam rings that did the same job, before I invested in grease injection conversion for unsealed hubs, back in the day...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #343 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:04:49 pm »
OD it appears that we have been doing the 'MEMWNS Initiation' all wrong........  :facepalm: Isn't this how we are supposed to be doing it!?

Blimey, where did that photo come from?

The Retiree

« Reply #344 on: 02 February, 2016, 04:09:35 pm »
I stumbled across it in the Caption It thread  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #345 on: 02 February, 2016, 07:42:00 pm »

Thoughts ?

You can run a 1/8 chain on 3/32 cogs/chainrings, but not the other way round. May be a bit noisier...

You might be able to get/improvise better sealing arrangements for your Flyer's original hubs: oil soaked string wrapped tight and thick around the axle was the old skool solution. Francis Thurmer's 'Hard to Find' catalogue used to do foam rings that did the same job, before I invested in grease injection conversion for unsealed hubs, back in the day...

Similar to foam rings out of a CDROM pack?
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #346 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:00:09 pm »

For hubs/wheels most designed for outdoor use (rather than velodrome) have sealed cartridge bearings. Avoid Shimano DA or Campag Record for outdoor use - they are track specific and don't even have dust covers. On my Bianchi Pista I have had the rear sealed bearings fail in 3 weeks due to water ingress, replacement stainless units last for years and are easy to change plus cheap. If budget is not an issue look at Phil Wood hubs. I assume hub OLN (over lock nut) dimension is track/fixed standard of 120mm for your bike, so avoid NJS (Japanese Keirin specific 110mm) or road single speed conversion (126mm, 130mm, 135mm) hubs. Front hub is same as road standard of 100mm OLN, so dynamo conversion is an option.

Cranks and BB can be upgraded, but square tape can be a nightmare with two standards of taper (JIS or ISO). Chainrings can be replaced easily with 3/22nd or 1/8th, just need to know or measure the Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) for your cranks. Chainline for fixed is typically 42mm. Sugino cranks are beautifully made but expensive and OTT for outdoor winter use. Fixed BBs tend to be shorter than standard road double/triple variants. And of course there are the multiple standards of BB shells - I expect you have a BSA set up with 68mm shell width.

3/32nd transmission tends to wear the chains rollers away from the inside quicker than 1/8th. Replace chain with a single speed variant - a 3/32 derailleur designed chain stretches a lot quicker. Track cogs are easy to change with a chain whip  but watch knuckles on the spokes and concrete - the cogs can be very tight (locking the chain whip in a vice is recommended). If running 1/8th cogs a 1/8th chain whip is required which are as common as rocking horse poo on the major retailers websites. Miche track cogs are worth considering - they fit onto a splined carrier which overcomes the need to unscrew the carrier each time the cog is changed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #347 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:12:02 pm »
Well there you have it!  The oracle has spoken, very impressive!

The Retiree

« Reply #348 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:41:03 pm »
There we go Ted as I said in the first place you only needed to ask the BFC

« Reply #349 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:43:07 pm »
You can explain it all to me.