Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517784 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #775 on: 11 April, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »
You should sue!  Do you know a decent lawyer?

« Reply #776 on: 11 April, 2016, 02:13:40 pm »
Good idea, I'll have a think and see if I can come up with a name.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #777 on: 11 April, 2016, 02:40:35 pm »
Good idea, I'll have a think and see if I can come up with a name.

I always think legal firms whose name references fishing are a good bet.

« Reply #778 on: 11 April, 2016, 03:07:45 pm »
Indeed, they do tend to use all the angles to land the best results so that your net losses are abated.  I will have a little dab and see what I can find.

Anyway, I have heard from a nice man at Trek UK in response to my tweets last week and I have provided the proof of purchase etc for the warranty claim via Cycles UK so watch this space.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #779 on: 12 April, 2016, 06:01:27 am »
Apart from Tomsk who has already declared an interest is anyone else planning on going to Lars' memorial bash on Sunday afternoon / evening?  If the weekend goes to plan I hope to be there.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #780 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:57:14 am »
Apart from Tomsk who has already declared an interest is anyone else planning on going to Lars' memorial bash on Sunday afternoon / evening?  If the weekend goes to plan I hope to be there.

I'm planning to go.

It looks like there are direct trains to LST on Sunday, two per hour IIRC.

I'm going to be away Saturday night, returning sometime Sunday a.m. so should be back in plenty of time to make it there, possibly even in time for Hummers' 13:00 arrival...
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #781 on: 12 April, 2016, 09:58:55 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #782 on: 12 April, 2016, 12:37:15 pm »
Mid - East Saxons, I know ferries and stuff have been talked about before, but does anyone have the low down on the ferries from East Mersea to Brightlingsea and the Harwich Harbour Foot & Bicycle Ferry? Are there any more on the Essex coast? I'd quite like to extend my bike on ferries count and it's rather criminal of me not to have used any of the Essex ones (apart from Tilbury to Gravesend)....

I feel a weekend camping trip coming on. Possibly up to Forest Camping in Rendlesham Forest
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #783 on: 12 April, 2016, 12:47:37 pm »
Would it be too much like advanced planning to talk about forming an Essex B team for next year's Easter Arrow  :o

Good Friday is the 14th April which means it won't clash with school holidays or my annual week away so I want to take advantage.  I think it might clash with Huggy's birthday but what better way to spend your 49th than on the train home from York ?

« Reply #784 on: 12 April, 2016, 12:49:47 pm »
Would it be too much like advanced planning to talk about forming an Essex B team for next year's Easter Arrow  :o

No it wouldn't. I want in!

« Reply #785 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:00:09 pm »
Thanks Captain Bobb  :thumbsup:

« Reply #786 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:05:46 pm »
Bobb, because you have agreed to captain our Arrows B team you can have some information on the East Mersea - Brightlingsea ferry.

It is not running a full service at the moment but will start doing so on July 18th.  You can still book and it runs at weekends already.

On full service it runs from East Mersea at 15 minutes past the hour between 10 and 4.

The last bit down to the ferry is across a field and then over some shingle to the water's edge.  You can go to Brightlingsea or Point Clear.  Point Clear might be better as it leads back on to the road north east towards Harwich.

« Reply #787 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:47:44 pm »
Mid - East Saxons, I know ferries and stuff have been talked about before, but does anyone have the low down on the ferries from East Mersea to Brightlingsea and the Harwich Harbour Foot & Bicycle Ferry? Are there any more on the Essex coast? I'd quite like to extend my bike on ferries count and it's rather criminal of me not to have used any of the Essex ones (apart from Tilbury to Gravesend)....

I feel a weekend camping trip coming on. Possibly up to Forest Camping in Rendlesham Forest
I did 2 ferry's on the way back from Blaxhall last year including the Harwich one.

The Harwich one has a website (http://www.harwichharbourferry.com/) and I called the guy to tell him I was coming which meant he would make sure I had a space (I was the only bike in the end). I just picked up a leaflet the other day and they have a new boat for this year!

A little bit further on the Felixstowe Ferry to Bawdsey Ferry across the Deben is a bit of a treasure as well. I think there are various ferries crossing the Deben up river as well.

You can see the full ride HERE

« Reply #788 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:00:30 pm »
I am intending on going. I have a pass.

« Reply #789 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:31:24 pm »

I did 2 ferry's on the way back from Blaxhall last year including the Harwich one.....

Cheers, Nik!

« Reply #790 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:37:10 pm »
Bobb, because you have agreed to captain our Arrows B team you can have some information on the East Mersea - Brightlingsea ferry.

It is not running a full service at the moment but will start doing so on July 18th.  You can still book and it runs at weekends already.

On full service it runs from East Mersea at 15 minutes past the hour between 10 and 4.

The last bit down to the ferry is across a field and then over some shingle to the water's edge.  You can go to Brightlingsea or Point Clear.  Point Clear might be better as it leads back on to the road north east towards Harwich.

Thanks for the info.

I would like to take this opportunity to make an announcement:

It is with much regret that I am resigning as Arrows B team Captain. I would like to thank you all for the support you have given me for the duration of my captaincy. As departing captain, it is my duty to appoint a new captain for the next 12 months. It gives me great pleasure to announce your new Arrows B team Captain - tedshred. His tenure as captain starts with immediate effect. Thank you.

Over to you, Ted  :P

« Reply #791 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:42:48 pm »
Thanks for the info.

It is with much regret that I am resigning as Arrows B team Captain. I would like to thank you all for the support you have given me for the duration of my captaincy. As departing captain, it is my duty to appoint a new captain for the next 12 months. It gives me great pleasure to announce your new Arrows B team Captain - tedshred. His tenure as captain starts with immediate effect. Thank you.

You'll never make it!

Considering that I have had the joy of riding in 2 Tomsk arranged arrows in the last 2 years and not really had to do anything other than Ride I would be happy to put my hand up should Ted decide he doesn't want it.

I might be a lot more stressed than Tomsk though!

« Reply #792 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Maybe we should have a MEWLs ride and elect a captain.  Only those attending have a vote of course.  Huggy has the sort of qualities we are looking for; good navigational skills, a steady pace to shelter behind, organisational brilliance and, best of all, capacious luggage space to cater for every eventuality.

I am ignoring Tippers' rude remarks and his offer of captaincy as he is too fast for the B team.  You probably are as well but you'd miss us if you went up to the A team  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #793 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:50:24 pm »
I was an Arrow Captain once ... it didn't end well. Don't let me put you off ted!

« Reply #794 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:53:00 pm »
Thanks, you can be vice captain.  The vice captain can be a non-riding post if you wish but with Easter being so late next year it might be the most clement Arrows ride for a while...

I forecast a nice tailwind and a minimum temperature of 11 degrees overnight.  Pack your suncream for the Friday.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #795 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:54:24 pm »
No. Just no.

« Reply #796 on: 12 April, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »
Even by Elephant bike ?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #797 on: 12 April, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
I was an Arrow Captain once ... it didn't end well. Don't let me put you off ted!
...Huggy has the sort of qualities we are looking for; good navigational skills, a steady pace to shelter behind, organisational brilliance and, best of all, capacious luggage space to cater for every eventuality.
This is an opportune moment to advise those without the knowledge of history in this particular regard - I was navigator on the fated Essex B team assault on York previously - I navigated us to a flooded road causing us at least an hour of diversion, the rest is best blanked out from our collective memory unless we need to remind ourselves why we now don't do early Easter Arrows  :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #798 on: 12 April, 2016, 04:11:18 pm »
I was navigator on the fated Essex B team assault on York previously 

Great, so you have experience as well  :thumbsup:

Bobb and I will bear that in mind when it comes to the vote.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #799 on: 12 April, 2016, 04:13:56 pm »
I was navigator on the fated Essex B team assault on York previously 

Great, so you have experience as well  :thumbsup:

Bobb and I will bear that in mind when it comes to the vote.
Well, we do know how much you like to go for a mid-ride swim but everyone has to also participate in the biathlon in an Arrow team event, so just bear that in mind when you're recruiting!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax