Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144061 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #250 on: 22 July, 2020, 09:26:16 am »
I think this morning was more like pidgeonsfart but I was up before 5 still.  I decided against running on the enclosed old track bed and instead did my scheduled 6km in my ageing road shoes around the local rec.  I concentrated on pacing and even managed a negative split which I did try for. 

Yet Another Good Run. 

9k on Friday will take me to yet another new monthly total PB with a whole week to spare. Hoping to reach 100k for the month next Wednesday then consider the month end tilt at a 5k PB next Friday.

Here's hoping that progress continues as it has been so far this year.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #251 on: 22 July, 2020, 10:02:11 am »
Damn you PB. I’ve prevaricating somewhat this morning, and my only consolation was that there was something in the air because PB hasn’t been out yet. Mind ewe, I’ve got an intervals session to do so it’s not really even a proper run. (There I go again :facepalm:)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #252 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »
If my getting out is motivation for you then that's good.  👍

'm thinking about thinking about whether I should start doing intervals.   I hate the idea but for no rational reason.  🤔

What are you doing in these interval sessions?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #253 on: 22 July, 2020, 12:19:38 pm »
If my getting out is motivation for you then that's good.  👍

'm thinking about thinking about whether I should start doing intervals.   I hate the idea but for no rational reason.  🤔

What are you doing in these interval sessions?
The intervals I’m doing at the moment at 20 second sprint 45 second stager back to the start. I got up to 14 repeats, but the taper has me doing 8 repeats today. I might actually do 10. Once I’ve got to 20 repeats and when (if!) they start getting easier I’ll increase the sprint by a few seconds.

Unless,I start doing a half M training plan and that has different Ideas. But as I said up there somewhere, I’m going to try and consolidate with a intervals, 5k, 10K each week before I move on.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #254 on: 22 July, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
The Running Channel

Quite a coincidence.  I'm thinking of making my Wednesday run something like this.  I can rotate between the examples in the video and also I have an interval workout which I haven't used yet.

I find that The Running Channel is quite a good resource.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #255 on: 22 July, 2020, 05:22:49 pm »
Thanks for the YouTube link PB. I think  :)

Just been out to do my interval session. I’m a lot hotter and sweater than the ToJ suggests I should be.

« Reply #256 on: 22 July, 2020, 10:18:44 pm »
I find that The Running Channel is quite a good resource.

Kate from there is local to me (my daughter was at the same nursery as her two) and she's in the same running club (not that I have anything to do with the running club, I mostly joined just to have a cycling club to put down for entering a 24h TT).

I see her out and about every so often. Disturbingly fast. Saw her coming the other way last Sunday near the end of my 10k. By the looks of Strava she was doing a 90 minute "easy" run at 5min/km pace.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #257 on: 24 July, 2020, 05:03:58 am »
Damn you PB. I’ve prevaricating somewhat this morning, and my only consolation was that there was something in the air because PB hasn’t been out yet. Mind ewe, I’ve got an intervals session to do so it’s not really even a proper run. (There I go again :facepalm:)

I am not prevaricating.

I rose early and should now be leaving the house.  Instead I am sipping coffee having decided to take a day off.  My monthly totals are good, I have a long run planned for Monday and there are a few jobs about the house including some baking of cakey things that I feel deserve my attention today.   I am pretty sure that the world isn't going to shift on it's axis as a result of my rash behaviour.  😉

So, just like Garmin Connect, I am having a day or two off!!!  Enjoy your day and your weekend folks.   😀  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #258 on: 24 July, 2020, 09:59:09 am »
I’m having a bad day as well. The only reason I’m out of bed is because our bedroom is also Dr B office and she says she can’t do with my snoring while she’s working. There’s also weather happening as well...

« Reply #259 on: 24 July, 2020, 10:13:30 am »
Sorry to hear this Beardy.

I've just set up for coating the front door with Osmo and I am lining up a baking session later.  And the ToJ reckons that I can be unproductive, eh?  😉

« Reply #260 on: 24 July, 2020, 10:25:39 am »
The major thing to remember about the ToJ is that it is taking the current day into account.

If you regularly do runs, say, Monday, Wednesday and Friday then a couple of weeks in it'll say nice(r) things on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday.

But looking at it on a Monday morning it'll see that in the last 7 days (including that day) your running load is down because it doesn't go back to the previous Monday where you did a run. It only really makes sense if you've done your run for the day if you had one scheduled.

Even then it may be unkind but I only see that if my training in the last couple of weeks has been less intensive than it has been in the past.

It's also better if there's a bit of structure and variation to your training. Mine used to say "Detraining" or "Unproductive" quite a bit when I just used to go running. Now I've got a progressive structure (a 4-week cycle of easy, medium, hard, recovery weeks) I now get it saying "Recovery" instead of "Detraining" or "Unproductive". It's expecting a balance of "low aerobic", "high aerobic" and "anaerobic" load rather than just smashing out one "high aerobic" run after another (which is what I used to do).

« Reply #261 on: 24 July, 2020, 05:39:17 pm »
Jobs almost completed and my Camelbak Nano Handbeld arrived this afternoon.   I will take it for a spin when I go out next as the next run is my long (12k) run.

Sunday perhaps, most likely Monday but we'll see.

« Reply #262 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:38:07 am »
I’ve had a poor 3 weeks for various, but mostly work and family, reasons. Garmin thought I was unproductive.

Anyway rode 30 miles yesterday and went for a run this morning that finished up at 12 miles - I didn’t really know where I was going. Apparently now I’m in Recovery! Felt nice to be out in the sunshine and I should note that I didn’t get wet riding yesterday am either.

Right, off to the tip - unproductive, me?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #263 on: 27 July, 2020, 08:51:16 am »
The rest of last week continued to fall, and like a dropped knife, I didn’t try and catch it.

That’s behind us.

Up and out reasonably early (for me) this morning although only a bit over 4K at a moderate pace. ‘Unproductive’ in terms of physical fitness, but immeasurably productive in terms of headology. 

I’m off plan now as well, mainly because I can’t download any new sessions. But that’s unimportant because this was the last week of that particularly plan and I was already departing from it. I need to devise my own simple plan for the next few weeks, one that’s easy to follow without technical assistance  ::-).

And I need some new shoes.

« Reply #264 on: 27 July, 2020, 09:32:43 am »
Yes, you need a target.  I find that without a target I drop off very quickly.

Good that you got out though and good that you want to do some planning.  I recommend looking at some of The Running Channel content and others of curse to get ideas about how to plan and structure your training for both goals an motivation.

Heck, I'm even contemplating getting a notebook and starting a Training Log from 1st August for my Half and full marathon targets.

« Reply #265 on: 27 July, 2020, 10:14:37 am »
I was glad that today is an allowed rest day given this morning’s rain and my struggle with the bed - also first day back at work for a week.

« Reply #266 on: 28 July, 2020, 06:36:54 am »
Having enjoyed six days off I went out early today for a trot.  I had no real motivation but vaguely planned to do a 12k.  As I approached 6k my brane intervened and refused to let me go on.  Feel good for getting out though so that's OK.

Tried carrying my Camelbak Nano handheld bottle today.  Not entiry convinced but also not a disaster.  Will persist on the "long" runs for now.

Due a crack at my 5k PB later in the week.  I will give that a crack on Friday and in the process clock up my monthly total distance PB to date.

From next week I am going to replace my 1 hour Friday run with interval and /or hill work type sessions.  The variety should be good for me.

Oh, the session uploaded to Garmin too.  🙂

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #267 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:18:28 am »
Good stuff P. Bear.

There must have been something in the air last week it seems. But a break now and then never hurts.

« Reply #268 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:42:04 am »
Clearly 5g was affecting Garmin and all us Garmin users.   ;)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #269 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:36:05 pm »
Having read this thread for ages and having never run before in my life, on Sunday I downloaded the NHS podcast and did the first run. I found it fine. Will go out for the second one today when my lunch has gone down. I wore cycle gear as I have no running gear, but of course not my cycling shoes! I have some reasonable Nike trainers.

My sister did a Couch to 5k a couple of years ago and if she can run, so can I, although I am heavy in the hips and 20kg heavier than I should be (but 20kg less than two years ago thanks to KETO). I do a lot of walking so hopefully my joints won’t be too wrecked by this. Wish me luck!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #270 on: 28 July, 2020, 01:08:37 pm »
Go for it AH.

I reckon that I was close to if not over 20kg too heavy when I started in January.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Will look forward to your progresss posts in here.  You can see from both Beardy and myself that 5k is only the beginning ...

« Reply #271 on: 28 July, 2020, 01:17:25 pm »
Good luck AH. I think there is a degree of aerobic crossover so be careful not to overdo it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #272 on: 28 July, 2020, 01:31:45 pm »
Yeaee. Another one joins the fray. If I can do it with some 35kg of extra lard and the motivation of a sloth, then anyone can. My knees haven got any worse than they were before I started, and my WeightLoss doesn’t seem to have been improved by the running, but on the plus side I can now walk up most urban hills without feeling as if I’m about to die.

« Reply #273 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:08:01 pm »
I was 98kg back in March when I'd got to the end of C25K and was running 5k or 6k a few times a week.

I'm 1.75m (5'9") so even by crude BMI that was more than 20kg over weight as a BMI of 25 (the borderline between normal and overweight) for my height is ~76.55kg.

For a more objective measure, last time I was 76kg (around the time of LEL 2009) I still had a bit of a spare tyre visible, so I expect that to lose that would mean I "should" be ~70kg.

I always enter events (particularly marathons) with good intentions on losing weight before race day, but never actually losing anywhere near what I should. The three marathons I've done I've weighed 85kg, 89kg and 93kg. I've now promised myself not to enter any more marathons until I weigh under 80kg. Half marathons are fair game, I've had little problems running those even at 95kg+ so I'll get back to doing those regularly once I've built up the distance again, I may wait until I'm under 90kg though, just for a little psychological boost.

Even at 93kg (so 23kg more than I probably "should" weigh) I can still run a 26:25 5k. It does depend where you carry your extra weight though. I'm stocky with powerful legs and although I've got a visible gut people only seem to put 5kg extra on me rather than 20kg and are really surprised when they find out how much I do weigh (and not because they're being polite). I've also played 1-2h of 5-a-side football pretty much every week for the last 20 years, so my joints are used not just to carting my lardy frame around a football pitch but are also used to sharp changes in direction and twisting that you don't normally get with a linear exercise like running.

« Reply #274 on: 28 July, 2020, 02:31:02 pm »
Having read this thread for ages and having never run before in my life, on Sunday I downloaded the NHS podcast and did the first run. I found it fine. Will go out for the second one today when my lunch has gone down. I wore cycle gear as I have no running gear, but of course not my cycling shoes! I have some reasonable Nike trainers.

My sister did a Couch to 5k a couple of years ago and if she can run, so can I, although I am heavy in the hips and 20kg heavier than I should be (but 20kg less than two years ago thanks to KETO). I do a lot of walking so hopefully my joints won’t be too wrecked by this. Wish me luck!

Yay!!