Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144489 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #475 on: 01 September, 2020, 02:06:58 pm »
It's good to see you posting a run again Beardy.  Also good to see others still persisting.

I'm due for the Sustrans Trail in the morning and am looking forward to it.  I am enjoying not running around the rec all the time.  I do need more routes though.  Checked out the canal towpath at the weekend on a walk but it's definitely not suitable, unfortunately.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #476 on: 01 September, 2020, 03:39:32 pm »
Just did Week 3 Workout 1. Again it seemed not too hard. My heart rate was lower but I think that could be because it’s 10 degrees cooler and I also ran later in the day.

Ordered 2 pairs of Hoka running shoes to try out - I have difficult feet sizes (43, wide). Free returns apparently so we shall see.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #477 on: 01 September, 2020, 04:03:56 pm »
I have a wide foot and swear by Brooks.  The Ghost is durable and comfy if you can find your size.  They come in mens and womens specific and in more than one width.

Good luck with finding a comfy wide shoe though.

« Reply #478 on: 02 September, 2020, 05:08:14 am »
Ugh!

Woke up feeling a little bit off colour with a runny nose, tickly throat and slight temperature.  Just don't feel quite myself so I'm not going for my run.  Hopefully it's just "9ne of those things" and I'll be right as rain in a day or two.

« Reply #479 on: 02 September, 2020, 11:34:18 am »
+1 for the Hoka.  I love mine as does my wife.

Well done beardy. I walked and gardened over the weekend after my visit to the sports therapist on friday.  i have a quiet day today in the office so hope to get back early and have a good run.

« Reply #480 on: 02 September, 2020, 09:21:03 pm »
I got back early to torrential rain.  Eventually got lighter so i got in 4.99km!  not fast today but nothing hurt and it is another 5k in the bag.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #481 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:12:02 am »
I’m hoping to go out for a run today, but I have to wait for the groceries before I go out. So the dilemma is do I sit around in my pjs until then, or do I get dressed without a shower. I could of course put my running kit on now and sit around in that until the groceries arrive. Decisions decisions.

Hopefully my motivation won’t evaporate in the intervening time.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #482 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:37:57 am »
Good luck with whatever you decide.

I missed my run this mor ing but plan to go tomorrow instead.  It was an expected deviation fuelled by Sara Pascoe and single malt whisky.  The stuff of dreams ... 

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #483 on: 04 September, 2020, 01:10:02 pm »
Did it.
A bit over 6k, but Jeff came too so it wasn’t very fast, even by my standards.
New shoes and a new pair of electric ears.
The shoes, Mizuno Wave, feel like slippers, very comfy, although they feel a bit soft when I’m walking. I suppose I should avoid walking in then them  ;D
The electric ears are aftershokz and are a LOT better than I was expecting. It’s difficult to listen to an audio book next to the main road because my ears aren’t blocked to the road noise, but music is ok and once I was away from the main road they were fine. I now know why they include a pair of ear plugs with them.

And a bonus, my mood is up a bit. Domestic commitments have got in the way a bit this week, but hopefully I’ll get back to three runs next week.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #484 on: 04 September, 2020, 01:13:07 pm »
Excellent.  Only 6k eh?  What's the title of this thread?    :thumbsup:

What model / version of the Aftershokz did you get?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #485 on: 04 September, 2020, 01:32:07 pm »
I know, it’s ridiculous. I’ll just to an easy 5k this morning is not an unheard phrase any more. When I started this lark, I struggled to run for 90 seconds!

The AfterShoks are Areopex. I got then for £139 from Northern Runner which was cheaper than I could find them elsewhere. I was expecting to send them back, but they’re really rather good.

« Reply #486 on: 04 September, 2020, 01:48:37 pm »
Great, isn't it?

Thanks.  I shall trawl and cogitate ...

« Reply #487 on: 04 September, 2020, 07:24:23 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #488 on: 04 September, 2020, 07:36:14 pm »
Oooooo, Winstanleys Bikes have them for £129.99.

Shall I, shan't I...?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #489 on: 04 September, 2020, 07:46:49 pm »
Damn.

Go on. Go on go on go on. You know you want too. ;D

« Reply #490 on: 04 September, 2020, 07:59:42 pm »
Swine!

Nothing like encouragement to ease down a weak and feeble finger.

The deed is done.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #491 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:00:33 pm »
 \o/

« Reply #492 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
I ran to Kingston and up onto the ridge today - a steep 100m in the middle on 11km. Once safely back on the flat and heading home I tripped on a rut, and slid on the chalk. I gave the red bits a splash of water and carried on the run, a bit more gently. Feeling a bit bumped now though.

« Reply #493 on: 05 September, 2020, 08:47:43 pm »
Good that you were able to continue.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #494 on: 06 September, 2020, 09:19:40 am »
I note with some guilt and anguish that I have no September miles yet.   This has happened because firstly I have not been sleeping too well, and secondly, I wake up each day with slight congestion and a background headache. 

I slept slightly better on Friday night and much much better last night but the head symptoms remain.

My kit stands ready and I hope that tomorrow brings a clear head and plenty of desire.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #495 on: 06 September, 2020, 09:53:51 am »
It’s easy to let the bad thoughts in, but really they’re only a symptom of the situation and not with out irony I recommend you ignore them  ::-)

Could you go for a run later in the day, or in the evening? It’s not stupidly hot anymore so that might work?

GWS

« Reply #496 on: 06 September, 2020, 10:03:17 am »
In theory I could go later but I have always been a morning runner/swimmer/gym bunny.   As it is, later is not really possible today for me anyway due to other commitments. 

Come the sub 10 degrees daytime temperatures I will likely revert to mid morning runs as per my more usual winter regime.  Gives me the chance to catch a bus out of town too which increases the variety.

« Reply #497 on: 07 September, 2020, 05:15:39 am »
Well, I am up, feeling fine and about to do some stretching and warm ups.  I am officially detraining according to the Theif of Joy which in itself makes me smile.  A week off and suddenly the gaping casms of hell await.  😉

The plan is for two runs this week, both along the Sustrans trail to ease myself back in.  I have a busy week of non-running "stuff" to get on with and another run on Thursday will break me in gently.  I can get back to three runs a week next week.

Will report back later ...

« Reply #498 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:19:08 am »
7k along the trail and I declare myself satisfied.  I had the opportunity to cut it short at 6k but I resisted the temptation and did the extra 1k which is an out and back segment.

For the first time in a long time I saw five other runners.  Perhaps it is because I am going out a good hour later than I was only a couple of months back.

Pleasing start to the week.  Looking forward to porridge and a shower.  🙂

Oh, even the ToJ seems satisfied with my endeavours.  What's all that about then? 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #499 on: 07 September, 2020, 09:51:31 am »
Well done, Thief of Joy! Oh, err, I mean congratulations PB!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.