Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143988 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #525 on: 15 September, 2020, 04:54:17 pm »
Thanks Beardy.  Difficult time with #1 son and the very premature passing of his beloved labrador.  Things beginning to rebalance.

The bone-conducting headphones arrived today.  mllePB is going to try them first to see if she gets on with them.  I'll give them a try in a few days.

« Reply #526 on: 15 September, 2020, 07:24:10 pm »
Seems like the b9ne-conductors are a hit.

Do I now order another pair for myself ...   

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #527 on: 15 September, 2020, 07:30:41 pm »
Seems like the b9ne-conductors are a hit.

Do I now order another pair for myself ...
That depends on how much of a softie you are. 😏 8)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #528 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:06:08 pm »
The answer is ...

very much of one.

I have ordered a red set so we don't fight over them.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #529 on: 16 September, 2020, 08:40:18 am »

The answer is ...

very much of one.

;D :thumbsup:
Mine are red. I’m beginning to feel stalked.  :o :o ;)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #530 on: 16 September, 2020, 08:43:21 am »
Ah, so we are now Team Red.   :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #531 on: 16 September, 2020, 10:47:28 am »
I runned.

I didn’t think I’d be going very far as it was a really difficult start. In the event Jeff didn’t join me until I’d clocked up 5k. I’ve not checked yet, but I think I did about 7.5k so I’m happy.

Need to cool down, shower and get to the supermarket and back so I can watch the silly men in France this afternoon.

« Reply #532 on: 16 September, 2020, 11:03:34 am »
Right here we go, any minute now.

Will be my first run for a week so will be taking it gently.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #533 on: 16 September, 2020, 03:27:23 pm »
Just did the second run of week 4 (did the first on Monday).

The dog wanted to come with me so she did - it’s a bit galling when a 7.5kg cockapoo is keeping up with my running pace when just trotting.

I find the 2 x 5 minute runs are feeling like harder work. Up till now I’ve found it reasonably easy as my basic cardiovascular fitness is good. The legs feel it a bit after 5 minutes though.

I shall try for the third run on Friday, the weather should be a bit cooler then.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #534 on: 16 September, 2020, 04:27:57 pm »
Well done Auntie H and I hope Ashaman. Today’s was my first run this week, but I’ve still got time to do 3 is I run on Sunday.

Mind ewe, I feel like I’ve just done another session watching the silly men on bicycles in France. Those are two seriously big hills and that mountain top finish nearly wiped me out just watching it.

« Reply #535 on: 16 September, 2020, 06:04:38 pm »
Well done folks.  Good to see that people are still getting out.

I am looking forward to my run tomorrow morning.  Setting my alarm.....

now!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #536 on: 16 September, 2020, 07:07:13 pm »
PB & B and other people suffering from the heat: can you not run at night? Okay, it might be impractical for PB vision-wise (?) but it is cooler. I often go for a run about 8 or 9pm, latest I've done is after midnight. Less traffic is another bonus.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #537 on: 16 September, 2020, 07:27:10 pm »
I did indeed get out for a gentle 5k. Only checked the watch when it beeped at the end of each km and just ran by feel taking it nice and easy.

And then after work my partner and I wandered up onto the South Downs with a picnic blanket, a bottle of beer each (Longman Best Bitter), and a bag of crisps each. A 4.7 miles round trip and a big hill made for a good leg stretcher.  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #538 on: 16 September, 2020, 08:32:15 pm »
PB & B and other people suffering from the heat: can you not run at night? Okay, it might be impractical for PB vision-wise (?) but it is cooler. I often go for a run about 8 or 9pm, latest I've done is after midnight. Less traffic is another bonus.

One of the reasons that I get up very early is to avoid the heat.

Alarm set for 5a.m. tomorrow.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #539 on: 16 September, 2020, 09:36:39 pm »
I have run in the evening and while it is indeed cooler I find running to be harder. I suspect, but don’t know, that this is something to do with the fact that I run ‘fasted’ in the mornings, but have eaten and drunk by the evening. It could be something to do with my taste for fizzy drinks, mostly water.

I admire PB his ability to rise early, it’s something I struggle with enormously.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #540 on: 16 September, 2020, 09:57:27 pm »
I'm also definitely not a morning person. People say you get more morning as you get older but in my experience it's the opposite! I've tried running in the morning, both before and after breakfast, but it doesn't work too well for me. Running too full isn't good either though. Anyway, I'm just back from an evening run – well, got back about 9, I've been on the phone to my aunt since then(!) – about 8km, very slow, met Jeff on the steps at the top of "Cardiac Hill" (wot the medics call it, apparently) but my pace was so low anyway he didn't hang around. Street lights are a good thing... the white ones, the orange ones...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #541 on: 17 September, 2020, 07:21:23 am »
Just back from my morning trot.  It was a week since my last run and the ToJ is apoplectic with distain.  😝

Anyway, an odd session.  I retired the Brooks Ghost 11's with just over 600k running and around 200k walking.  They were beginning to feel a bit flat and unresponsive in the midsole.  Pulled on the Brooks Ghost 12's that I bought on sale some weeks back and went for a run.

My initial view of the 12's is that Brooks must have done some manufacturing "tweaks" because they are not as comfy in the heel area.  Not an issue when running but noticeable when on my warm up / cool down walks either end of my runs.  Also, the tongues slip round during my run which is not great.  Much more of that and the needle and thread will need to be deployed.  They ran comfy though and felt like old friends over the 6k that I did this morning.

Also, my pace was quicker than expected.  I don't know if this is a combination of a week of rest and new shoes or what but I was 20 seconds per km quicker than I have been running recently.  I am wondering if the old shoes had lost a little something in the deterioration of the midsole.  A few more runs will no doubt make things clearer.

Looking at my records:  I first used the Brooks Ghost 11's exactly two years ago in what was a failed C25K attempt.  I bumbled through to the end of the year and even clocked a few 5k+ distances inuding zome Jeffing but never got to a continuous 5k.  New year, same failure and the Ghost 11's went unused and unloved until October 2019 when I started another C25K attempt which predictably fizzled out in November.  And then I became aware of Beardy's C25K thread having got myself out again in late January this year. 

The rest is history!  😀

Thanks Beardy.  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #542 on: 17 September, 2020, 08:34:40 am »
Well done Mr Bear, it sounds like you had a good session.

Do you know, it’s most gauling that all these people who “I’ve” Inspired to take up or return to running are so much better at it than I am.  >:(

I’m joking of course, I’m immensely grateful for the support and inspiration I’ve received from our little ’community’ which has got me back out there when I might have fallen by the wayside.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #543 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:01:23 am »
It's very reassuring to have your support network Beardy.  👍

« Reply #544 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:54:38 am »
It's great to watch you all running! I've been 'forced' back to the bike as a consequence of a tweaked hamstring - don't know how it happened, but it doesn't like me running my usual outings at the moment. I'll be trying again come October or November I think, albeit probably slowly to start with. Bit frustrating to be honest as I'd been running most of the year without any problem...

MIke

« Reply #545 on: 17 September, 2020, 11:43:57 am »
GWS Mike.

It's an odd feeling to be a regular runner again after giving it up in the late nineties.  I find myself really looking forward to the cooler weather of late autumn and winter, the time when I traditionally trained for marathons.  The kit is much better these days which is to be expected but of course the body is less so: also to be expected.

« Reply #546 on: 17 September, 2020, 07:58:07 pm »
The answer is ...

very much of one.

;D :thumbsup:
Mine are red. I’m beginning to feel stalked.  :o :o ;)

The "redfones" have arrived and are on charge.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #547 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:20:24 pm »
Just set them up.  Extremely impressive. 

Nothing like the rich sound quality of my B&O Beoplay H7's or my BoseSport Wireless but remarkably good nonetheless.  I will use them as my default when out and about now.  👍

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #548 on: 18 September, 2020, 11:23:56 am »
Another nearly 7½k this morning, but reversing my new route. I ran it to within 10 seconds of the same time as Wednesday, which would be good if Wednesday’s time had been anything to write about. I need to extend the route by 50m though, to make it a great 7.5k I shall consult the maps.

I think I might need to do some intervals on Sunday.  :-\

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #549 on: 18 September, 2020, 06:56:45 pm »
Third ride of Week 4 today.

I’ll start Week 5 on Monday. That’s halfway through, although I’ve lost four weeks due to muscle strain.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk