Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143865 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #775 on: 06 November, 2020, 04:01:43 pm »
Still awaiting Beardy's report.

Be nice to have progress updates from other thread contributors too please.

« Reply #776 on: 06 November, 2020, 05:06:26 pm »
Bad week - nothing since Tuesday’s run. Hopefully bike tonight, as still sticking to 1 run per week for this month. Hopefully will be confident to add another next month or slightly sooner.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #777 on: 06 November, 2020, 08:20:48 pm »
Continuing with rehab, I pushed the distance up to 8k today.

Ankle was OK during the run, but grumbling a bit on the walk home.
Pace was all over the place. Sub-4 minute for a while, then close to 6 for a while. On the flat.
I'm not able to hold a steady pace yet.
Averaged per km, it's between 5 and 5:30, but the graph shows a very unsteady pace.

« Reply #778 on: 06 November, 2020, 08:26:18 pm »
My pacing is still very good at the moment.  There was less than half a second between my first 3km today and I managed a 1 second negative split over 6km.*

I shall keep working on this over the winter as I'd really like to keep consistent pace as the distance increases.

*  These times / splits are measured by my Garmin watch of course so there is likely to be some inaccuracies due to the tech but it does indicate consistency of a nature far far better than I used to achieve.

« Reply #779 on: 06 November, 2020, 09:08:16 pm »
My pacing is still very good at the moment.  There was less than half a second between my first 3km today and I managed a 1 second negative split over 6km.*

I shall keep working on this over the winter as I'd really like to keep consistent pace as the distance increases.

*  These times / splits are measured by my Garmin watch of course so there is likely to be some inaccuracies due to the tech but it does indicate consistency of a nature far far better than I used to achieve.

Consistent pacing is very important and the key to success - for example, if you can run 100m in 15 seconds all you need to do is keep going at a consistent pace for 15 more and you’ll have done a 4 minute mile:)

I always like to make helpful suggestions...

Tonight I have ridden my bike in the fog. 18 miles and now I’m going to cook dinner.

« Reply #780 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:08:39 pm »
Couple of shorter runs as left knee a bit sore for some reason. Stressful week at home and work so a bit slower. Wonderful run at Dawn though.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #781 on: 06 November, 2020, 10:17:48 pm »
Back in circulation, still with Jeff.  Slow today, four weeks off takes its toll when you're still building fitness. The hole in my sinus seems to be healing nicely, and no issues with hard breathing.  I'll wait for the consultant to get in touch,  but if I had to guess I'd say that the dental team did the work required, and hopefully the consult will be "That's doing fine, carry on..."

In the meantime I have catchup work to do!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #782 on: 07 November, 2020, 06:24:24 pm »
Busy day this morning then gardening and it would have been so easy just to plonk myself in front of the fire.  But I had some new 3/4 trail running shorts from Alpkit so I set out into the dark.7km done fairly slowly but feel so much better. Now I can plonk myself in front of the fire!

« Reply #783 on: 07 November, 2020, 06:38:15 pm »
Back in circulation, still with Jeff.  Slow today, four weeks off takes its toll when you're still building fitness. The hole in my sinus seems to be healing nicely, and no issues with hard breathing.  I'll wait for the consultant to get in touch,  but if I had to guess I'd say that the dental team did the work required, and hopefully the consult will be "That's doing fine, carry on..."

In the meantime I have catchup work to do!

Jeff is a good and loyal friend to most of us.  Keep up the good work.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #784 on: 08 November, 2020, 10:25:46 am »
Pre run evac and catchup on correspondence.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #785 on: 08 November, 2020, 11:03:01 am »
I haven't run since the 21st. A combination of being back to commuting on some days, and babying a very sore shoulder.

I am aiming to get out for a gentle 5k at some point today but I'm still in the clutches of too much wine last night. Another mug of tea and hopefully I'll feel a bit more human.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #786 on: 08 November, 2020, 12:25:31 pm »

Just returned. Better late than never  :-[ 
7.4k in 60min over a mix of road and trail. Uncle Jeff payed a few short visits, but nothing significant until he jumped on my shoulders at 7.4k, perhaps 0.5k further from home than I would have liked.

I was overtaken by a chap of similar age to me, but I didn’t care because it’s a lovely day and I was enjoying my run.
Soggy toes and muddy shoes are urging my to look for some waterproof trail shoes.

Ashaman, I hope you manage to get out, it is a wonderful day for it.
Has anyone else been out today?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #787 on: 08 November, 2020, 12:35:45 pm »
Good report Beardy 👍

My run days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday so no but I will be going for a long walk this afternoon whilst my sourdoughs are proving in their bannetons.

Week 5 out of 15 in my Quest to Half Marathon plan beckons and apparently I need to do 10km tomorrow.  It will be a very steady run as distance trumps pace.

Since the ground has become wet, sticky and unpleasant I have stuck to tarmac surfaces primarily for safety reasons but a dry few days could see me back on the local trail.  I do like my Brooks Cascadia trail shoes but they are not a waterproof variant and I really don't like damp, cold feet.  I have some Inov8 Parkclaw 275 gtx shoes but I don't get along with them too well.  Only a couple of outings so I might give them another chance in the future. 

« Reply #788 on: 08 November, 2020, 01:59:53 pm »
Good report Beardy. I wouldn’t bother with waterproof trail shoes as they only keep the water in - particularly so in your neck of the woods I reckon. Just enjoy the feel of the wild and dry out when you get home:)

« Reply #789 on: 08 November, 2020, 02:14:05 pm »
I dids it! :thumbsup:

Harder that I hoped it would be but not as hard as I feared.

No jeffing and a fairly middle of the pack time for me. Knees and ankles okay but the front of my left hip got gradually tighter/sorer as the run went on. Going to run a nice hot bath and soak for a bit. It is Sunday after all. My tummy didn't grumble too much which given the state it's in today is a bonus.

Glad I got out as I was very tempted to just vegetate. Thanks for the encouragement.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #790 on: 08 November, 2020, 02:17:51 pm »
Good report Beardy. I wouldn’t bother with waterproof trail shoes as they only keep the water in - particularly so in your neck of the woods I reckon. Just enjoy the feel of the wild and dry out when you get home:)
+1
Whilst I try to keep my feet dry for as long as possible if I can, the unpleasant sensation of getting them wet only lasts for a few minutes, and then the dampness warms up and it's ok. It can go a bit unpleasant if you get them really really wet because the insoles start to move around, but that only really happens if a lot of the run is very wet - e.g. through rivers, bogs, lots of very churned mud.

« Reply #791 on: 08 November, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »
+1
Whilst I try to keep my feet dry for as long as possible if I can, the unpleasant sensation of getting them wet only lasts for a few minutes, and then the dampness warms up and it's ok. It can go a bit unpleasant if you get them really really wet because the insoles start to move around, but that only really happens if a lot of the run is very wet - e.g. through rivers, bogs, lots of very churned mud.

The latter description, say the North Uist Fell Race;)

« Reply #792 on: 08 November, 2020, 08:17:59 pm »
I’ve failed to stir myself for more than a walk all week, but finally got out for 12km today. I also took a few new paths, going past the Glyndebourne wind turbine. I probably didn’t need the extra layer or the extra km and hill of a misremembered turn. So 13km and 330m of climb in 1:26, the end. Jeff beside me on the hills.

« Reply #793 on: 08 November, 2020, 11:34:45 pm »
Ran this evening as it was very foggy, too foggy, for a bike ride. Could barely see the ground in some places even running. 7.7 miles done.

Mike

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #794 on: 09 November, 2020, 01:13:44 am »
It’s good to hear most of us got out today, and it seems the absentees were on rest days because they’ve managed to get out more regularly. Never mind, we won’t hold it against them  ;D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #795 on: 09 November, 2020, 05:04:40 am »
I got out yesterday for my intervals too. Lovely clear, bright day here, and I was finished by 8:30am.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #796 on: 09 November, 2020, 07:37:28 am »
How are you finding intervals?

« Reply #797 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:57:31 am »
Just looking at my plan and I realise I got my week back to front in my head.  Today is a 7k, Friday is a 10k.  I'll be stretching in an hour or so.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #798 on: 09 November, 2020, 09:01:24 am »
I’m not sure my BRANES can quite cope with a mid morning PB. It just doesn’t seem right.  ;D

« Reply #799 on: 09 November, 2020, 09:11:30 am »
To be honest I am enjoying it at the moment.  When the clocks went back I thought that I'd do a few more early mornings but that just didn't happen.

Come April I will be back on the early shift.  🙂