Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144393 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #900 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:40:27 am »
I've been following this thread for a while. Can I join in ? I need some mutual encouragement. Motivation is all, and here I see a great deal of it.

Speaking for myself, welcome.  Happy to have another virtual running partner.

Sometimes when I am out on a longer run I find myself thinking of this thread, my fellow virtual runners, the support and encouragement that I have benefitted from when I have had tough times and I am grateful for it.  In the eighties and nineties I was a member of a road running club.  It was great to to have support then and it is now.

When do we get a board of our own?  😉

« Reply #901 on: 26 November, 2020, 12:19:24 pm »
Oooof my quads hurt today. That'll teach me to have such a large break between runs.

I'll leave running today but we do have a four mile walk planned for later this afternoon which should help ease the legs out.

Keep at it everyone  :thumbsup: But equally don't stress if you don't get out.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #902 on: 26 November, 2020, 12:21:49 pm »
Difficult to overcome my idle inner self this morning but eventually got out about 11:00

5.3k @ at 7;56m/k with uncle Jeff’s company only up the second hill*. I’m happy with that.

The logs show some strange dips in speed with cadence and step balance very uneven. I think I need to move the pod back to my trousers instead of my kit belt.

Recovery seems to be reasonably quick as well, so that’s good. 

Oh, and just two t-shirts this morning, no need for my jacket.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #903 on: 26 November, 2020, 12:25:23 pm »
Oooof my quads hurt today. That'll teach me to have such a large break between runs.

I'll leave running today but we do have a four mile walk planned for later this afternoon which should help ease the legs out.

Keep at it everyone  :thumbsup: But equally don't stress if you don't get out.
That’s the big one, and why support is good. It doesn’t matter if you get out to a strict timetable, or if you run a specific route or pace. Anything you can do is better than doing nothing but if today is a nothing day then tomorrow is available to do some more if you can when you get there.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #904 on: 26 November, 2020, 01:52:22 pm »
Some good updates here, it makes me feel quite the sloth. Well done peeps, your activities might get me out again.

As for accepting new members, I’m thinking that maybe we should have a questionnaire, a lengthy Zoom interview and a remotely supervised run. We can apply an entry threshold based on my (well it IS my thread!) fitness level; anyone remotely showing the capability to beat my current 5k time will be black balled. Just to put peoples minds at rest, I won’t insist on applying this retrospectively because it’d be very lonely in here on my own.

<fx:/beardyhumour>
The questionnaire could be very simple:
What is your opinion of Jeffing:
A) Jeff is my best friend.
B) Jeffing is for wimps.
C) I only Jeff if my leg is broken.
D) I never Jeff, I just need to admire the scenery, benches and smell the flowers now and then.

Only A and D are acceptable answers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #905 on: 26 November, 2020, 02:14:01 pm »

D) I never Jeff, I just need to admire the scenery, benches and smell the flowers now and then.

It's funny how often I find something to take a photo of half way up a hill.  ;D

« Reply #906 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:04:54 am »
I have a growing curiosity of the trail and fell running scenes.  In both of these disciples they don't even refer to walking as anything but walking.  It is accepted, normal, widespread and carries no stigma of any kind.

Over the past few weeks my mindset for running has moved from a means of getting fitter to a means of enjoying the outdoors.  This has helped me rationalise what I have even recently classified as failure into being yet another outdoor adventure.  I am due out for 12km in a while.  Only a few weeks back I might have had some trepidation about this but I now see it as another opportunity to enjoy the freedom of the outdoors.  If uncle Jeff comes along which is highly likely then it will be to ensure that I enjoy rather than endure my run.

« Reply #907 on: 27 November, 2020, 09:26:52 am »
PB, I think that is entirely correct.  As mature runners who want to stay fit and healthy it is important to enjoy our running so that it is not so intense it causes injury.  I too have become aware of the longer distance scene and am very tempted by running for those too slow to do marathons :)

« Reply #908 on: 27 November, 2020, 11:12:28 am »
I have a growing curiosity of the trail and fell running scenes.  In both of these disciples they don't even refer to walking as anything but walking.  It is accepted, normal, widespread and carries no stigma of any kind.

In racing terms, you would hear reference to "Fell racing" - often there's not a lot of running going on! Walking is an entirely accepted part of fell running and racing. Often routes have sections that most people cannot run, either because it is too steep, a bit too steep for too long, too technical or just a bit knackering (also people like me who find technical downhill really hard). There's always someone who can just smash up and down, but you'd be amazed at the ability spread in races, in addition to the age spread. Our local races have a prize for every single category (male & female of all the youth categories, open, 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+ and 80+) so people can win prizes who took literally twice as long as the outright winner. 

A lot of fell & trail runners are people who like being outdoors all the time anyway. There's a type of fell running that is basically just a slightly faster version of hiking which allows a slightly longer distance. Loads of people walk up but run downhill.

« Reply #909 on: 27 November, 2020, 12:06:09 pm »
Well, today's jaunt didn't go entirely to plan.  Only 10km and not 12km but I enjoyed it and feel very satisfied with my endeavours.

« Reply #910 on: 27 November, 2020, 12:08:22 pm »
'Twas a bit nippy this morning, but worth it. I don't often stop to take photos, but I couldn't resist this one.

Witcombe Valley by Steve Cunio, on Flickr.
And despite stopping (albeit not for long) I recorded my best 5k time since June!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #911 on: 27 November, 2020, 01:42:49 pm »
Did a 10k hill run this morning!

Local hill called Kerloch, 5k straight up with 422m of ascent, then 5k straight back down.

Lower half is on well made-up forest track. Top half is badly washed out path, like running on a dried-up stream bed. Not that it makes much difference on the ascent: at that gradient, I couldn't go much quicker even if it was silky smooth. Makes for a tricksy technical descent, though, as has been mentioned!

« Reply #912 on: 27 November, 2020, 05:50:26 pm »
Not a good day today.  No concentration at all.  Did 50 minutes of Pilates this morning then worked and settled for a slow 3.5k run just now.  Cold and miserable.

I had ordered a pair of hoka road shoes which were lovely and light but rubbed my achilles. So they have to go back

« Reply #913 on: 28 November, 2020, 11:11:51 am »
Going to lock the front door in the dark yesterday I stubbed my toe on a shoe (not mine) that had been left in the middle of the floor. It’s sore and going purple. No run for me for a few days (at least).

« Reply #914 on: 30 November, 2020, 08:26:11 am »
My exercise buddy cannot meet me today so it's a precarious 8km round increasingly familiar local roads today for me.  A test of my surface hazards memory!  Thankfully the piles of hazardous and rotting leaves are more or less cleared though the broken slabs, bulging surfaces due to tree roots, slippery service covers, discarded household furnishings and appliances, rogue pavement cyclists/scooterists/mobility scooterists etc., etc., etc. remain.  🤔

Fortunately thus far playful alsatians and stray footwear haven't taken me down.

(Stretches across to the only genuinely wooden internal door in the house and .... )

« Reply #915 on: 30 November, 2020, 12:06:09 pm »
I worked on keeping my heart rate below a certain point.  It cost me less than ten seconds per km on average yet was a really enjoyable run.  I managed a consistent pace most of the time too with a range of +7 to -10 seconds from the average over the 8km distance. 

Very happy with that.

« Reply #916 on: 30 November, 2020, 02:28:33 pm »
Maintaining my lunchtime jogs, 2-4 times a week. I'm not getting faster, but my joints are getting accustomed to running, so I have hopes for longer scenic runs once on Lewis.

I do love the simplicity of running. Even in bad weather, it is easy to throw on clothes, shoes and get out the door.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #917 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:51:21 pm »
Managed a slow 5km once I got home. Wanted to wear my new jacket but it was really too warm and I somewhat overheated.

« Reply #918 on: 02 December, 2020, 07:49:12 am »
Who will be out today?

Lovely crisp start and not-quite-freezing temperatures here for my midweek meander.  It's the short run of the week so I can test layering ready for the long run on Friday which is currently forecast as being in sub zero temperatures!  🥶 

I seem to have been accumulating running kit and now enough clothing for six runs between washes.  I haven't had this much kit since my cycling days!  😊

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #919 on: 02 December, 2020, 11:02:58 am »
I've begun Ct5k for the umpteenth time, but seem to be getting on better this time. Previously I ran heel first and had loads of problems with sore calves and shins; now I am running on forefeet and making sure I hit the ground below my hips rather than reaching out in front. Week 4 starts Friday.

Lockdown with my daughter during the spring and summer was instructive; she's a scrum-half and has been doing a lot of sprint training. Not that I am sprinting...  :-[

« Reply #920 on: 02 December, 2020, 12:05:07 pm »
Best of luck with your C25K.  Please keep us updated.

Nice and cool out there so I put another managed heartrate run in.  Really enjoyed the empty paths though crossing the roads was difficult as all of the motons appear to be enjoying being released into tier 3!

12km on Friday and it is forecast to be around zero, feels like minus 3!

Winter is the hard miles time and so often when I have tried to get back with C25K in previous years it has been November through January which has scuppered it.  I am determined for that not to happen this time.  Reminds me a little of the time in the eighties and nineties when I ran regularly and would be training for spring marathons at this time of year.  Ah, happy days. 

« Reply #921 on: 02 December, 2020, 05:24:52 pm »
I had hoped for a run today but life got in the way.  I managed an hour of stepper and weights this morning.  Plan is for a 10k before work tomorrow.

« Reply #922 on: 02 December, 2020, 05:48:28 pm »
I made it out for a steady, slightly painful 5k. I did only run twice in November but hoping to do better this month.

Hamstring was sore when I started and sorer when done so tomorrow's cycle commute will be done gently. Had a bit of stitch towards the end but managed to just keep ahead of Jeff.

Got a bit hot towards the end but was ok for the warmup walk and most of the run so I think my clothing choice was almost right.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #923 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:08:58 pm »
Best of luck with your C25K.  Please keep us updated.

Nice and cool out there so I put another managed heartrate run in.  Really enjoyed the empty paths though crossing the roads was difficult as all of the motons appear to be enjoying being released into tier 3!

12km on Friday and it is forecast to be around zero, feels like minus 3!

Winter is the hard miles time and so often when I have tried to get back with C25K in previous years it has been November through January which has scuppered it.  I am determined for that not to happen this time.  Reminds me a little of the time in the eighties and nineties when I ran regularly and would be training for spring marathons at this time of year.  Ah, happy days.

Further to this:  today's 6km already eclipsed December '19's distance as last year willpower evaporated and I just gave up until late January '20.  Also, November '20 was double November '19 and also my third highest monthly total in 2020.  If things go vaguely to plan December will be my first +100 km month since 1994.  If I achieve this goal I will be well and truly chuffed.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #924 on: 02 December, 2020, 06:15:32 pm »
Sheepishly looks in to see what everyone is up to.

I nearly got out this morning but by the time I got PBs encouragement (elsewhere on the boards) I’d lost the momentum and cba. It was a bright and sharp morning as well.  :-\

Having also missed out on taking my morning meds I now feel totally and utterly dreadful.

Sorry for letting the side down folks.