Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469680 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #750 on: 05 February, 2016, 08:27:35 am »
I admit that it's not the most fun I have had . it is proving to be more comfortable than the leg bag so far ☺

Less danger from bag-snatchers too, I should think.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #751 on: 06 February, 2016, 07:26:16 am »
 ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #752 on: 06 February, 2016, 11:00:08 am »
This fucking flu can fuck off any time it fucking wants. Bastard git.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #753 on: 06 February, 2016, 12:35:02 pm »
I agree about the flu!  " weeks of being laid absolutely flat.  ! week off work and spending the day lying down, yuk.  beginning to turn the corner now.  have to get fit for the Easter Arrow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #754 on: 06 February, 2016, 12:43:22 pm »
I'm on my 4th day now. Started Weds eve and I've been feeling lousy since. Dez has had it since Mon.

« Reply #755 on: 06 February, 2016, 06:36:40 pm »
I am on day 15.  Came back from holiday having exercised, rested, etc.  2 days later on the Friday came home and collapsed.  In bed all weekend but went into work on Monday.  Struggled through to Thursday when I was practically comatose and have been off work ever since, temperature swings, sweating, etc!!  Just managed 20 minutes on the turbo today and will try for an hour tomorrow.  I have 2 days in court on Monday/Tuesday so that will not be too bad although 2 hours on the train to Newcastle is a bit of a faff.

« Reply #756 on: 06 February, 2016, 07:30:26 pm »
I think I understand why I got a look from the nurse when I said I'd gone back to work on Monday. I've done nothing be lazy since last night and my arm and hand have improved more in 18 hours than they had in the previous week.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #757 on: 06 February, 2016, 07:49:40 pm »
I am on day 15.  Came back from holiday having exercised, rested, etc.  2 days later on the Friday came home and collapsed.  In bed all weekend but went into work on Monday.  Struggled through to Thursday when I was practically comatose and have been off work ever since, temperature swings, sweating, etc!!  Just managed 20 minutes on the turbo today and will try for an hour tomorrow.  I have 2 days in court on Monday/Tuesday so that will not be too bad although 2 hours on the train to Newcastle is a bit of a faff.

Doctors aren't very good at taking time off when they are sick are they?  ;)

If you read this in anyone else's post, what would you think about their return to work?

Huh?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #758 on: 06 February, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »
heh, you'll have to include other types of doctor in that.

This one tried to tough out his tendon rupture for the last 3 weeks.

Officially I think this was a bad move

Surgery on Thursday and I've made myself ill trying to work hard and suffer at the same time. Now I'm signed off for four weeks for something that should probably be mostly done (sufferering-wise) by now  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
And I'm now hoping that I won't still be ill on Thursday :hand:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #759 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:37:28 am »
I'm on my second head cold of the year   :sick:  :-\

« Reply #760 on: 07 February, 2016, 11:13:02 am »
Doctors aren't very good at taking time off when they are sick are they?
Hi Hellymedic, don't let my wife know! After 35 years of being married I have just about persuaded her that everybody else is a skiver and i am normal.  Although she did wonder wonder when I was pouring sweat, shivering uncontrollably and slightly confused last Sunday and refused to call the doctor.  After all what would they know that I didn't?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #761 on: 07 February, 2016, 11:18:00 am »
Um, this post might be somewhat controversial, but what about the fact that you've just potentially infected all your patients with the flu for the sake of presenteeism?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #762 on: 07 February, 2016, 12:42:58 pm »
Doctors aren't very good at taking time off when they are sick are they?
Hi Hellymedic, don't let my wife know! After 35 years of being married I have just about persuaded her that everybody else is a skiver and i am normal.  Although she did wonder wonder when I was pouring sweat, shivering uncontrollably and slightly confused last Sunday and refused to call the doctor.  After all what would they know that I didn't?

What do you mean 'Don't let my wife know?'
Your wife DOES know! You've been married 35 years and is no fool; you'd not have put up with a fool for 35 years, would you?

The lady would have tolerated 35 years of macho presenteeism, of which this is the latest example...

BTW the possibility of viral myocarditis might make sitting on the turbo unwise if you have 'flu.

You knew that anyway.

Others might not.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #763 on: 07 February, 2016, 07:43:16 pm »
My stepdad (to be) is a doctor. My mum was a nurse... Mum has to apply a certain level of CLUEBAT to stepdad over health-issues as he's inclined to ignore stuff till it's actually scary.  It doesn't help his medics tend to be old pals who say "Oh take X at Y dose for Z days and then see how you feel and fiddle with the regime as you wish" so Dr IHateMeds (not even cos side effects, just the idea of meds) usually stops treatment entirely waaaay too early...

Of course DrIHateMeds is also sickeningly jammy, he was virtually pain/effects free 7 days after appendectomy last Xmas even though he's 70, lardy and not all that fit!

« Reply #764 on: 07 February, 2016, 08:03:51 pm »
Hi Helly
Apparently she was just about to ignore me and call the doctor!  I was being slightly tongue in cheek.  After 35 years of marriage we do tend to know each other pretty well.

I had forgotten about viral myocarditis actually, but was being sensible and kept heart rate below 145 and power was 85% of FTP or less.

Actually the evidence that flu is infective once the Acute phase has settled is quite low so I wasn't being that bad.  Personally I am more interested in my technical ability and thinking ability.  If I cannot operate for a standard operation or cannot diagnose a patient then I am not fit to be at work.  Hence why this time I was more sensible/realistic and have had a full 9 days away.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #765 on: 07 February, 2016, 09:57:56 pm »
Glad to see you were wise enough to take the time off; it's actually really difficult to do this, which I appreciate.
I know very few doctors who haven't struggled to work when they should have been off.
I was just as bad.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #766 on: 08 February, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »
See also "Teachers".

When a teacher goes in ill, it's an investment: they are safe in the knowledge that half the class will be off next week, when they are better.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #767 on: 08 February, 2016, 06:01:41 pm »
Isn't the whole point of school holidays to give teachers time to do their being ill in?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #768 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:23:25 pm »
I feel so ill.  I had to drag myself home from work tonight, I felt so awful. 

I'll still be going to work in the morning though.  As you do.

Sore throat, whole body aching, can hardly move.  Yeah, that'd be a cold then  ::-)
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #769 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:29:22 pm »
Get Well Soon Ruthie!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #770 on: 08 February, 2016, 10:45:03 pm »
Thanks Helly  :-\
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #771 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:43:01 am »
Get well soon, I can imagine how you feel.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #772 on: 09 February, 2016, 02:46:54 pm »
I feel so ill.  I had to drag myself home from work tonight, I felt so awful. 

I'll still be going to work in the morning though.  As you do.

Sore throat, whole body aching, can hardly move.  Yeah, that'd be a cold then  ::-)

GWS! I had very similar symptoms last week. Lots of aching. Very sore throat. Congested sinuses.

Mostly, things are on the mend now. Temperature down, sneezing stopped, less congested. I have cancelled all my work this week. Half term next week.

However, I have one, or two, symptoms that you won't have, Ruthie:

(click to show/hide)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #773 on: 10 February, 2016, 08:23:02 pm »
Achievement unlocked:  Improved BMI by being 3cm taller than at last year's annual being-told-off-by-the-asthma-nurse appointment.   :o

No, I haven't a clue how that happened.  Either I've been wrong about my height for years, or I've grown since I was last measured by a competent healthcare professional.  We checked, and left leg vs right leg weight bearing only accounts for a little under 1cm difference, so it can't just be that.

I'm wondering if someone made a mountain bike tyre size cockup and converted 5'6" instead of 5.6'.  But who the fuck measures anything in decimal feet?  More likely someone applied an overenthusiastic fudge factor for shoes.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #774 on: 10 February, 2016, 09:58:18 pm »
I am feeling generally a lot less fluey. My symptoms now consist of being knackered (slept a lot this afternoon), having a fairly constant trickle of glutinous snot* from the back of the sinuses into my throat, still coughing a little, but very little, and having another couple of days' worth of antibiotics to finish. I might have a tentative bike ride tomorrow just to say I have. Won't be far.

*Mrs. Wow had an ancient relative in her youth, a grandfather, I believe, who had some comment about "it all hanging down the back and it feels as though you could plait it". Applies to me now.