Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469390 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #950 on: 14 May, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »
I realised the end of my ulna was waving around in 'mid air'. Pushed it back to where it should be. Regained about 10degrees of hand movement immediately. Just need to work on strength so things stay where they should be.
Bugger it's gone out again. Holding veg while chopping. very distinctive, the bone bulges out. Had to do some more veg prep again and it bruised in a couple of minutes.

Do you think you should see if someone can fix it, to stop it popping out, or do you think this is too much trouble or too risky?

« Reply #951 on: 14 May, 2016, 04:52:50 pm »
I'm going to see if I can get seen by the hospital again. It's basically dislocating and I can't see how the joint willbdevelop stability if it is constantly moving.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #952 on: 14 May, 2016, 06:39:26 pm »
Seems a wise move.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #953 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:01:57 pm »
I'm going to see if I can get seen by the hospital again. It's basically dislocating and I can't see how the joint willbdevelop stability if it is constantly moving.

As a connoisseur of dislocating joints I hope orthopaedics take that seriously and sort it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #954 on: 17 May, 2016, 01:33:03 pm »
Got fitted with an ECG Holter today, with instructions to go for a ride, so I did.  At around 200 metres from home pain started under left armpit, propagated across to breastbone and then, when after 3 km I started into the 6% hill out of our valley, downwards and a bit into the left arm.  About halfway up it was too intense for fun so I turned tail.  By the time I got home I felt fine.

The dumb thing is that all the time I felt as strong as ever and still do.

It'll be interesting (as in times) to hear what the cardio unit think, once they get round to it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #955 on: 17 May, 2016, 01:36:44 pm »
Sounds terrifying to me.

The strength bit puzzles me. When my dad got heart problems (resulting in quad bypass), the first main symptom was weakness.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #956 on: 17 May, 2016, 02:07:55 pm »
Yeah, when I had my run-in back in December I felt generally horrible all over.  I suppose I'll be on the whole stress-test/coronarography track now - a bit of a bore but necessary.  OTOH if everything's negative I'm still left with an acute chest pain every time I go out.

Could be pericarditis but I've no idea why.

Do you feel aneurysms before they pop?

« Reply #957 on: 17 May, 2016, 06:00:30 pm »
That should not happen.  i would get a second opinion from a competent wrist surgeon.

« Reply #958 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:03:37 pm »
That should not happen.  i would get a second opinion from a competent wrist surgeon.

That's now the 'normal' appearance, when it isn't out. If I'm not careful, the end of the ulna, circled, comes out about another 1/2", bruises appear and then there is a thump to get it back in.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

barakta

« Reply #959 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:31:55 pm »
'Kin hell.. Definitely seek referral to suitable Orthopod ASAP. That is NOT right at all. Looks terrible even when in joint...

« Reply #960 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:33:02 pm »
I apologise that i have not kept up exactly with what has happened to you.  I can very easily start dispensing medical advice without enough info and have to be aware of GMC rules.

However it is abnormal for the distal end of the ulna to jump out of the sigmoid notch and then jump back in when pushed.  That is an unstable or frankly dislocated Distal radio ulnar joint until proven otherwise.  If it has followed a fracture of the wrist then the supposition would be that you have either torn the supporting structures or that the radius has healed in a position which is not compatible with distal radio ulnar joint stability.

I would see your GP and ask for referral to a major wrist surgeon.  If you tell me where you live, (town not actual address), I can recommend some people.

Please bear in mind that this advice comes on the basis of a short description and a single photograph so may not be worth the computer screen it appears on and I may be scaring you for no reason.

« Reply #961 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:47:32 pm »
It's a known that all the supporting structures were torn - my ulna and radius head came past the carpals. They were confident that they'd relocated it all successfully. I was always concerned by a bulge in that place and kept being told by the nurse, then the physio that it was just swelling (which there was present). When the swelling went down the bulge was obviously solid but I could push it around. None of them have seen that.

I'm in York. I have a direct number for the fracture/ortho clinic and will phone them tomorrow, see if I can get directly in rather than via GP again.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #962 on: 17 May, 2016, 10:37:02 pm »
Seems fair to try to go straight back to fracture clinic.
Failing that, try to ask your GP to get you back to see the orthopaedic people. It seems evident to all here that your wrist is unstable and needs stabilisation.

Hope you get a satisfactory outcome!

« Reply #963 on: 18 May, 2016, 06:19:25 am »
To the best of my knowledge there is not a well known wrist surgeon in York.  Your nearest would be in Leeds.  I would be looking at a referral to Doug Campbell or Rob Farnell at the LGI or privately if you do not get something sorted.

« Reply #964 on: 18 May, 2016, 07:58:57 am »
ty for enquiring/thinking about it. I'll see what response I get (hopefully not just sent back to physio).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #965 on: 18 May, 2016, 08:13:07 am »
It's a known that all the supporting structures were torn - my ulna and radius head came past the carpals. They were confident that they'd relocated it all successfully. I was always concerned by a bulge in that place and kept being told by the nurse, then the physio that it was just swelling (which there was present). When the swelling went down the bulge was obviously solid but I could push it around. None of them have seen that.

I'm in York. I have a direct number for the fracture/ortho clinic and will phone them tomorrow, see if I can get directly in rather than via GP again.

"It's just inflammation, Mrs. Lincoln."

I can still remember the bastard intern looking at the angular bulge halfway along my right clavicle and saying "ça, c'est rien", and the orthopaedic surgeon who backed him up until it was "too late to fix".  I've suffered from it ever since.

Boot the bastards' arses until it's fixed.

I'm off to hand in my Holter now. Got my bovver boots on.

« Reply #966 on: 18 May, 2016, 10:35:37 am »
Seems fair to try to go straight back to fracture clinic.
Failing that, try to ask your GP to get you back to see the orthopaedic people. It seems evident to all here that your wrist is unstable and needs stabilisation.

I got the "You've been discharged therefore you need to see your GP to get a referral" routine. So I'll need to wait a week to see a GP, then 3-6 weeks for a non-urgent referral to orthopedics at best.

Maybe I should just trip up and dislocate it. Or peel a few carrots (which is all it took to dislocate it last weekend) and not relocate it myself.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #967 on: 18 May, 2016, 10:58:32 am »
Funny how Kafka comes to mind at such times.

barakta

« Reply #968 on: 18 May, 2016, 11:32:15 am »
A&E time if they're pulling the weeks from referral. That's a bloody pisstake but not surprising cos everyone seems to be kicking folk off their books as fast as poss.

My "call us any time" from RNOH turned into that when I needed them too, same stupid rules.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #969 on: 18 May, 2016, 12:24:58 pm »
Peel some carrots, pitch up to A&E with it dislocated; if that's too painful, take picture of it in and out of joint and present these.
Chris' suggestion of private hand surgeon seems wise if possible.
Don't tell anyone I told you this...

« Reply #970 on: 18 May, 2016, 01:01:22 pm »
Crikey, good luck with sorting that.

Standard issue GP appointments grumble here.
I need a routine appointment, to discuss something non urgent but can't be left forever (discovering family history of diabetes). First appointment they can give me is 2 weeks away in the next town. But if I can phone at 830, they can probably fit me in that day - no need for on the day appointments to be urgent. It'll be Friday before I'm free between 830 and 9 to do the phoning.  ::-)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #971 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:50:06 pm »
Saw the consultant hand surgeon today about the lump on my thumb. She doesn't know what it is, has referred me for an ultrasound with the words "bizarre lump" on the referral, and thanked me for coming in with something moderately interesting.
Ultrasound today. Radiologist no more certain than the hand surgeon but thinks possibly a displaced sesamoid. So I have to go back to hand clinic.
Hand clinic no more certain that radiologist, but have agreed that as a) we're not sure what it is and b) it's bothering me, we will chop it out. So I'm going for chopping-out surgery sometime. I've said I'm not available before mid-July, so fingers crossed asap after that. Stitches and no work for two weeks following, then stitches out and back to normal. I am so excited about 2 weeks paid sick leave, it's unseemly. It might help me get a grip on my depression too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #972 on: 18 May, 2016, 04:09:20 pm »
Still nursing some wrist damage sustained during an 'off about six weeks back. It makes itself known when I flex my wrist forward and put weight on my hand (think pressups). After my off I had that and some tightness in some finger tendons, and just put it down as a sprain/bruising. The fingers are fine now but the wrist seems to be a longer term project. Theres no acute pain, just a general pain thats says whatever youre doing, stop it.

« Reply #973 on: 18 May, 2016, 06:03:09 pm »
Actually you have been discharged does not mean that.  You have 3-6 months (varies a bit) to ask to be seen again even when discharged and they cannot refuse.  Phone the consultant secretary, tell her that there is a possibly major problem with your arm and either you are seen on the next orthopaedic clinic by the consultant or she can give you the name of the chief executive and the telephone number for PALS.  Also ask for her name and state that if you have a serious problem as a result of the delay you will be putting in a formal complaint about the delay giving her name.

barakta

« Reply #974 on: 18 May, 2016, 06:08:23 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Consultants' secretaries always a useful route into things if you know your rights.