Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463457 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1225 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:33:58 am »
Bugger

First time back on the CoCodamol since early 2014.  :'(

Hip has flared up again. Time to dig out my hospital patient number and reactive the open appointment.

essexian

« Reply #1226 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:48:18 am »
Not a grumble but....

Back at the end of March I had an off which resulted in a heavy landing on my shoulder from 15mph. A&E said nothing was broken and as it was a soft tissue injury, I should give it 4 to 8 weeks to heal up.

So, 16 weeks later and it still hurts and I still can't swim with it (I can't put my arm behind my back), so I phone my GP for an appointment. As its not an emergency, they can't see me for 10 days.  :-\

Lets hope it is just a soft tissue injury and A&E didn't miss something.

« Reply #1227 on: 01 August, 2016, 11:49:04 am »
Why are broken ribs not accompanied by swelling like other bones?
Actually you don't always get much swelling with a broken bone. Swelling comes from damage to the surrounding soft tissue.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1228 on: 01 August, 2016, 03:28:18 pm »
essexian

Remember soft tissue injuries take longer to heal than bones!

You will have certainly jammed the acromioclavicluar joint and possibly damaged the rotator cuff.  I would find a good local physio before going the medical route.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1229 on: 03 August, 2016, 01:15:32 pm »
Chuffed with first half-decent ride: 25k w. ~100 metres of real climbing. Heart hit 159 without pain either during ride or since, B.P. once home 120/70. Knackered but hey, after ~8 weeks doing essentially nothing it's not bad.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1230 on: 03 August, 2016, 01:24:33 pm »
That's excellent. Registering for PBP then . . . Or would swimbo kill you if you mentioned it?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1231 on: 03 August, 2016, 02:46:46 pm »
T42
Really pleased for you.  I hope you do get back to long distance if you are well enough but even reasonable rides must feel wonderful after what you went through and faced.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1232 on: 03 August, 2016, 04:15:32 pm »
Thank-you both.

@mrcharly: herself knows that a lot can happen in 4 years.  I have mentioned doing a diagonale next year: she just says "wait and see".

@chris: I always had confidence in the med squad, but I did get a bit pissed off that they took an extra month to decide on the 2nd stent when the artery was obviously closing fast and my hard-earned condition was going out the window.  However, the genius they found to fix it was worth the wait.  The main thing now is to stick to a reasonable diet and not spoil her handiwork.

« Reply #1233 on: 03 August, 2016, 06:11:03 pm »
T42
I am really enamoured of the idea of a "diagonale".  I have a half planned Dunkirk to Perpignan which has been shelved the last 2 years due to various things.  I love the concept of the various trips.  The UK seem so simple with Lejog or C2C

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1234 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:41:46 am »
@Chris: I started planning a Dunk-Perp a couple of years back, taking the route via the Rhône valley, which is considerably easier than crossing the Massif Central.  I jacked it in after a while: apart from the fact that it was taking longer to plan than I had reckoned, all the roads south of Dunkirk that I looked at on Streetview were either covered in mud or dull grey under heavy overcast - it was just too depressing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1235 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:44:54 am »
Going to ask the cardiologist for a Holter later this week. I've been having spells of what for me is bradycardia - heart at 45 rather than my usual 54 rest frequency - and sensations as of extra-systolics around my heart.  Weather's perfect and all I can do is look at it.

« Reply #1236 on: 09 August, 2016, 07:07:33 pm »
T42  Thanks for the info about diagonal, I may come back to you!!

Are you on a Beta blocker.  Many cardiologists may underestimate the fitness of long term long distance cyclists and the effect of beta blockers.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1237 on: 10 August, 2016, 07:38:45 am »
Not a chance of that, Chris. I was on BBs for three horrible years when I got my first stent in 2008 - along with unnecessary BP meds they cost me my 2011 PBP qualification.  I was a wee bit miffed at that.

Still, I did a ride with adequate food on board yesterday and I'm more or less OK this morning.  We've been utterly knackered recently from driving to & fro to the hospital every day, but on Monday we took the day off; and the antidiabetic diet I'm on doesn't chime too well with exercise.

essexian

« Reply #1238 on: 11 August, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »
essexian

Remember soft tissue injuries take longer to heal than bones!

You will have certainly jammed the acromioclavicluar joint and possibly damaged the rotator cuff.  I would find a good local physio before going the medical route.

Hi Chris et al

Went to the Doctors this morning who said it looks like I have damaged my rotator cuff and has referred me to the local hospital for a scan to confirm what's going on and then its likely I will need physio. I should be seen in the next 4 weeks which is pretty good really.

« Reply #1239 on: 11 August, 2016, 07:15:36 pm »
Bother, another cathier caused infection. It was bothering me on the London ride last Saturday and has not improved since. Back on antibiotics again  :'(.
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1240 on: 12 August, 2016, 08:56:25 am »
Bother, another cathier caused infection. It was bothering me on the London ride last Saturday and has not improved since. Back on antibiotics again  :'(.

Pardon me, but does that word really exist?  It looks like a misspelling of catheter but has been repeated so often I'm beginning to wonder.  Maybe the hospital staff are eliding the second T: English pronunciation seems to be sliding that way, on support lines at least (suppor' lines a' leas').

Anyway, sympathies for your distressed urethra.  My experience thereof dates from before my diabetes diagnosis, and it was not very agreeable.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1241 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »
The word is catheter.
I don't know if cycleman's attendants have adopted the glottal stop.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1242 on: 12 August, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »
My understanding is that cycleman struggles with keyboard input at the best of times for disability reasons (he's a lot more verbose in person  ;)).  He also seems to fall foul of autocorrect on a regular basis.

As for catheters, the speed at which they seem to be addressing the underlying issue is surely taking the piss?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1243 on: 12 August, 2016, 04:50:05 pm »
The Inlaw Paw has one plus a urine pouch just now.  Any bag-snatchers are in for a nasty surprise.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1244 on: 12 August, 2016, 10:35:11 pm »
My understanding is that cycleman struggles with keyboard input at the best of times for disability reasons (he's a lot more verbose in person  ;)).  He also seems to fall foul of autocorrect on a regular basis.

As for catheters, the speed at which they seem to be addressing the underlying issue is surely taking the piss?
Back of the class for that, Kim.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1245 on: 13 August, 2016, 09:34:53 am »
There not even doing that Kim. They leave disposal to me  :facepalm: ;D. Sorry about the miss spelling. I am afraid that autocorrect do control my spelling  :-[
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1246 on: 15 August, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »
I've been for a pre-op assessment. It was useful - the paperwork I had said to stop using Aspirin before the op, but not when. Turn out I need to stop taking it two weeks before. I also found out I'll be in plaster for 6 weeks post op.

Got weighed. I'm back up to 80kg. That is a surprise, mostly because my trousers are falling off me, I'm hungry a lot of the time (but food is unappetising - topirimate side-effect). When I was 83kg I had trouble doing up the same trousers and Tshirts were tight. So I dunno where all the Kg are hiding.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1247 on: 27 August, 2016, 01:28:07 pm »
Two of three weeks now since I stopped drinking my own home-roasted coffee. Since then, although I had the odd peely-wally effort locally, I hadn't anything I'd call real coffee. Yesterday morning, though, we rode to my favourite patisserie and I had a couple of decent espressos, and as I finished the second one my hands began to shake. Didn't sleep too well last night, either.

Quite amazed at the effect.  Not going to do that again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1248 on: 27 August, 2016, 01:33:27 pm »
I've been for a pre-op assessment. It was useful - the paperwork I had said to stop using Aspirin before the op, but not when. Turn out I need to stop taking it two weeks before. I also found out I'll be in plaster for 6 weeks post op.

Got weighed. I'm back up to 80kg. That is a surprise, mostly because my trousers are falling off me, I'm hungry a lot of the time (but food is unappetising - topirimate side-effect). When I was 83kg I had trouble doing up the same trousers and Tshirts were tight. So I dunno where all the Kg are hiding.

How do normally get weighed & on which/whose scales?
Very few are really well-calibrated. I would not be surprised if you are lighter in other circumstances.

Good luck with the op!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1249 on: 27 August, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »
I have a gastro appointment on Wednesday, must remember to print out the study showing improvement in Crohn's symptoms when medication replaced with exercise.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State