Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469488 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1375 on: 26 October, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »
Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma to me.

It's only happened to me a couple of times, and on the first occasion the initial symptom was much like you describe with the clock:  There was a gap in my visual field that the brain was filling in, which only became apparent when I tried to read, and was there irrespective of what part of eyes I used.  Over the next ten minutes or so it developed into textbook scintillating scotoma (much like the second two animated examples on that page), then suddenly disappeared, replaced by an acute headache.

I'm glad it's not something I've made a habit of.

« Reply #1376 on: 26 October, 2016, 01:46:19 pm »
Yeah - those things. Without meds, I get those most days of the week as a side effect, for several hours of the day. Between 1/5 and 1/2 of my visual field. I'd not come across that wikipedia page before, the simulations on there are pretty accurate.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1377 on: 26 October, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »
Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma to me.

It's only happened to me a couple of times, and on the first occasion the initial symptom was much like you describe with the clock:  There was a gap in my visual field that the brain was filling in, which only became apparent when I tried to read, and was there irrespective of what part of eyes I used.  Over the next ten minutes or so it developed into textbook scintillating scotoma (much like the second two animated examples on that page), then suddenly disappeared, replaced by an acute headache.

I'm glad it's not something I've made a habit of.

You're right, it does, although the disturbance, in both the cases I mentioned, was made up of regular triangles.  I'll try and simulate it in PS below.

Thanks for the name & reference.

Not very accurate: the triangles were smaller but ICBA with so many layers; they were brighter with rainbow edges, and they did scintillate as they moved.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1378 on: 02 November, 2016, 03:13:15 pm »
Study shows soft drink industry-sponsored studies less likely to show soft drink link with diabetes/obesity than studies not so sponsored...
Apologies for paywall.
http://www.bmj.com/content/355/bmj.i5852?sso=

Quelle surprise!

« Reply #1379 on: 02 November, 2016, 10:06:05 pm »
Why does a common cold make my legs ache?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1380 on: 02 November, 2016, 10:13:54 pm »
Dunno, but one of the first signs I'm coming down with a lurgy is a dull ache behind my knees.
Always has been, for as long as I can remember.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1381 on: 02 November, 2016, 10:48:49 pm »
Muscle pain aka myalgia is one of those 'flu-like symptoms' (like headache) known from time immemorial. I don't know if it is associated with a raised temperature.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1382 on: 08 November, 2016, 08:05:15 am »
I remember reading about pain thresholds years & years ago - that non-serious low-level pains are blocked by "gateways", otherwise we'd feel them all the time, but when we're ill, or when a bad enough pain to get through the gateway occurs, then the low-level ones get through as well.  That would be something like 1960s science, though, there might just have been some progress since. ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1383 on: 16 November, 2016, 05:07:50 pm »
I remember reading about pain thresholds years & years ago - that non-serious low-level pains are blocked by "gateways", otherwise we'd feel them all the time, but when we're ill, or when a bad enough pain to get through the gateway occurs, then the low-level ones get through as well.  That would be something like 1960s science, though, there might just have been some progress since. ;D
No silver jumpsuits yet though.

My innards are troubling me. I've been having intermittent bouts of Bristol stool chart 5s and 6s with noticeable urgency for ages now, but put it down to my sertraline. But I've been on the sertraline 18 months and the innards problems are getting worse - I'm shitting multiple times a day, I'm having unpleasant gnawing pain in my mid abdomen sometimes, followed by a 3-4 on the stool chart, crampy growliness in my lower abdomen at times, and lots and lots of urgency followed by more 5s and 6s. And when I say urgency, if I lived on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd, I'd have a lot of cleaning up to do. So I'm off to the GP tomorrow.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1384 on: 16 November, 2016, 05:12:42 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Any changes to your diet? Stress?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1385 on: 16 November, 2016, 05:21:18 pm »
No changes to my diet. Stress - well, yeah, I work in public services and redundancies are coming. But my usual reaction to stress is eczema, and that's not too bad just now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1386 on: 16 November, 2016, 05:43:01 pm »
I am not a diabetologist but I understand some diabetics get bowel dysfunction from the gut nerves suffering Diabetic Trouble.

Hope you get sorted anyway!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1387 on: 16 November, 2016, 06:17:09 pm »
I'm not diabetic. My money's on IBS.

« Reply #1388 on: 16 November, 2016, 07:40:16 pm »
Mucho sympathy from this direction. I have been in your situation and it is not funny.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1389 on: 16 November, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »
Sorry EG! Thought it was T42, who is.
Anyway hope you are sorted/better soon!

MANY of my friends & family seem to have developed either lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance/coeliac disease in middle or older age.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1390 on: 17 November, 2016, 11:42:49 am »
I don't know which would be worse - no cheese or no cake?!

GP has asked me to get bloods done, and then go back when we will discuss the need for further investigations, likely to involve tubes and cameras and loss of dignity.

« Reply #1391 on: 22 November, 2016, 12:45:12 pm »
GN: 12 weeks post-surgery and I have full bony fusion across the osteotomy/graft.

BN: Soft tissue issues on the joint. I still can't weight-bear on my left wrist, riding a drop-handlebar bike is out of the question for some time to come. Physio tried me doing some 'wall-pressups' at a very moderate angle and my ulna was waving about madly, causing soreness. He very quickly got me to stop.

This is going to be a very long process back to riding properly again. I didn't get the butterfly bars fitted to the mercian last weekend, looks like that will be the only way I'm going to be able to ride a proper bike in the foreseeable future.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

essexian

« Reply #1392 on: 22 November, 2016, 01:03:15 pm »
Co-codamol...."fun" isn't it!     :facepalm:

As you may know, I suffered quite a bad fall 2 weeks ago which resulted in head and back injuries. Well, the heads okay now (well...its back to what passes as normal for me!) but the back is still hurting like hell. So, I spoke to the Chemist after trying all the normal painkillers who suggested Co-codamol.

I took two of these on Sunday and felt okay, and a further two yesterday lunchtime. They didn't do much for the pain but blimey, I started feeling really strange with a seriously fast heart rate (110 against my normal of 66) come the evening. My heart was also missing beats all over the place. Also, whenever I moved I got extremely dizzy and almost fell twice. It was so bad that I even thought of phoning an ambulance. However, reading the leaflet in the box of pills I noted that this is one of the side effects so I thought I would try and sleep it off.

Come this morning, my heart was still around 100, so I phoned my GP who saw me within the hour and sent me down to Stafford General for a ECG. This showed nothing major thankfully. Overall, the GP and hospital think its down to the painkiller which should take a day or two to work the way out of my system.

Thus, while it is unlikely to be the same for everyone....co-codamol is very risky stuff for me it seems!

« Reply #1393 on: 22 November, 2016, 01:16:10 pm »
Essexian, unless you have stomach ulcers or bleeding issues I suggest trying paracetamol and aspirin combined, particularly soluble aspirin. This is much more effective at reducing pain than taken separately.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

essexian

« Reply #1394 on: 22 November, 2016, 01:24:40 pm »
Cheers for the suggestion. I found that separately they didn't do much for me.

My GP has prescribed Naproxen which I'll try. Bad news is that he said that my back may take some months to fully recover!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1395 on: 22 November, 2016, 04:17:11 pm »
Naproxen will do your back a lot more good that straight painkillers, too.  It can go for your gut, though, so if that happens you'll need to see your doc for an omeprazole (or similar) prescription. Gaviscon can help too, and is over-the-counter.

« Reply #1396 on: 23 November, 2016, 07:27:56 am »
Started getting real dizzy last night along with some weird tingling on the left forearm.
Googling suggested TIA, but still had full motor control, memory etc. Was still pretty woozy when I woke up and after a couple of hours at work, I decided it was enough and went to the ER.
Doc said that in 95% of the cases, the dizziness in young men (In hospital terms,I'm apparently still young) is from an inner ear viral infection or similar, but with the tinging and pins & needles, I made the right decision and they ran the bloodwork and a CT scan. All came back negative  Got some gavrol, which helped and getting a follow-up with a neurologist just to make sure. Still a bit woozy and low energy.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1397 on: 23 November, 2016, 07:30:18 am »
Gosh, that's a bit scary Jakob.  Take care.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1398 on: 23 November, 2016, 10:00:57 am »
Aye. Take it easy.

ian

« Reply #1399 on: 23 November, 2016, 01:06:00 pm »
I have an athlete's heart apparently. More importantly, I'm not giving it him back.