Author Topic: Green tomato chutney  (Read 2954 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Green tomato chutney
« on: 04 October, 2020, 07:33:22 pm »
I couldn't find another thread so here we are. Mods please merge if necessary.

We are making some. We had 8 outdoor tomato plants and we got a few ripe ones over the past 6 weeks or so - enough for us and to give some away - but we ripped the plants out last week and there were pounds of green ones that would never ripen. We are making chutney. We must have thrown at least as many away as we used from this green lot - they were turning brown with rot.

I've no idea whether it will be worth it. I can't remember having tasted green tomato chutney before. Jan probably has - she's a greater chutney eater than I am. I like Indian chutneys & pickles to go with curry, and am partial to picked onions & beetroots, but that's pretty much my limit.

I hope it tastes good. We are supposed to boil this stuff util it thickens and I have to say that I find the smell of boiling vinegar especially vile. If it wasn't a medieval torture, it should have been.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Green tomato chutney
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2020, 07:53:01 pm »
My mother used to make loads of green tomato chutney when I was growing up. I loved it.
A few years ago she made some more and gave me a jar as part of my Christmas present. I was slightly scared of trying it in case it didn't live up to the memory, but it tasted just like and just as good as I remembered.

Good luck with yours - I remember the house stinking of boiling vinegar, not good!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:18:49 pm »
My Granny used to make it. I don't think I was especially keen on it.

Indian chutney in India has nothing in common with Indian chutney in Britain; it's a mild coconut dish.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2020, 12:03:42 pm »
Well, all those tomatoes boiled down to just 6 small jars - the sort Bonne Maman sell caramel spread in (don't ask). I'm pleased to say that I tightened them up whilst the jars were hot and every lid's "button" has been sucked in by the vacuum created. I think we'll leave them a while before opening one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2020, 12:12:18 pm »
My parents used to make it. I have no particular recollection of what it was like - vinegary, I think...

« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2020, 07:27:04 pm »
I have been given some by a lady at the allotment. Told it needs 3 wks to mature. I'm thinking that I would like to make some but I'm put off by the amount of sugar.

« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2020, 07:28:53 pm »
I have been given some by a lady at the allotment. Told it needs 3 wks to mature. I'm thinking that I would like to make some but I'm put off by the amount of sugar.

Don’t be, it’s not like you eat bowlfuls of it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:23:44 pm »
Just made some too :thumbsup:  From 1.5kg of green tomatoes (have 11 plants), plus onions/cooking apples etc/ also two chillis, fresh ginger, pickling spice (in muslin).  Did  six 2/3 full medium sized parfait jars.  Sterilised the jars in oven, rubbers seals* in boiling water, and also inverted the hot chutney in the jars for a while to heat treat the lid.  Prolly leave it for 6-8wks.

*fiddly getting them on hot jars.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:47:30 pm »
I've had circa 20 odd tomato plants on the go this year, I've frozen about 8kg of red toms so far but still got quite a few green... is anyone willing to proffer up an actual recipe that works?  ???
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2020, 11:24:34 am »
This is the recipe I've just followed, for my first attempt...

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/green-tomato-chutney

I doubled the quantities.  Used Tesco distilled vinegar ('5% acidity').  2 'fire flame' chillis/ 2x 2x1cm fresh ginger / 3 tsp Bart Pickling spice - bit off a guessimate.   Didn't double up on the chillis.  Used sultanas, rather than raisins. Onions 1:1 red/white

Step 4.  "Continue cooking until the mixture has thickened."   I had on low heat for 2.25 hrs.

So far, so good, will see what it's like when matured.  :)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2020, 12:28:32 pm »
This is the recipe I've just followed, for my first attempt...

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/green-tomato-chutney

I doubled the quantities.  Used Tesco distilled vinegar ('5% acidity').  2 'fire flame' chillis/ 2x 2x1cm fresh ginger / 3 tsp Bart Pickling spice - bit off a guessimate.   Didn't double up on the chillis.  Used sultanas, rather than raisins. Onions 1:1 red/white

Step 4.  "Continue cooking until the mixture has thickened."   I had on low heat for 2.25 hrs.

So far, so good, will see what it's like when matured.  :)

Thanks, will take a look in to that :)  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2020, 05:17:48 pm »
I'm contemplating using some of ours for fried green tomatoes, which I tried once in Charleston and was pleasantly surprised by
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:07:39 pm »
Sampled green chutney 6-7wks later.  First chutney effort, so not sure what can sometimes go wrong,  but it tastes good.  Subtle spice, not vinegary, nice consistency.  Mustn't buy too much cheese...   ;)

« Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:47:48 pm »
Mustn't buy too much cheese...   ;)
What is 'too much' cheese?  ???
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #14 on: 24 November, 2020, 09:18:44 pm »
Good question.   ;D   

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #15 on: 25 November, 2020, 08:56:11 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 23 October, 2021, 10:04:30 pm »
That time of year again.  Remaining green tomatoes harvested, & plants removed.; have ~1.5kg and going to use same recipe as last year - just with a little more chilli & pickling spice.