Author Topic: I'm a jammy bastard  (Read 1524 times)

I'm a jammy bastard
« on: 08 December, 2020, 04:09:30 pm »
Not sure why I've never done a chilli jam, but it turns out that it really couldn't be simpler. I assume all those seeds give forth pectin a plenty. I was given this recipe and it works to make either a sweet chilli sauce or reduced a bit, chilli jam.

500g chilli (my last chilli harvest this year) - chopped roughly
600g sugar
600ml vinegar (I used mixed white wine and apple)
Large chunk of ginger grated
A few cloves of garlic
teaspoon of salt

Into a pan, boil for 45 minutes, longer to jam it, whiz with a whizzer.

Job done.

Crystal meth for chilliheads.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: I'm a jammy bastard
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:14:03 pm »
Next up, try making your own fermented chilli sauce. There is nothing like it on the market. Well actually there is as there is a guy is Australia who is selling sauce, made to my recipe (long story but he is related to a Michelin starred chef that I know)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:24:34 pm »
I have made many types of chilli sauce in the past, each have their own character, but this is possibly the very easiest. I once did a kimchi-alike version, which sounds like it might be something like yours, I'm all out of chilli for this year but if you can share, I'll give it a go next year.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2020, 08:00:55 pm »
There's a special place in Hell for people who put chilli jam in my sandwiches, and trust me, when the sinners find themselves there, I'd recommend they sit down very carefully.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2020, 08:04:41 pm »
find me a recipe without that amount of sugar and I'm IN
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2020, 09:31:51 pm »
>>find me a recipe without that amount of sugar <<

You did notice the title of the thread? Even I would baulk at spreading a normal chilli sauce on my breakfast toast (yes, I have tried this one). Come to think of it, "baulk" might not be the right word, just "untested". I'm now thinking of huevos rancheros. mmmm. Menas tortillas, pero, con toast and chilli jam.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2020, 09:54:11 pm »
Jams need to be about 60% sugar to work as jams, which might be no use for a diabetic.

People might make something similar in taste and texture, using artificial sweeteners and thickeners but these are not realLy jam IMHO...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:42:00 pm »
Jams need to be about 60% sugar to work as jams, which might be no use for a diabetic.

People might make something similar in taste and texture, using artificial sweeteners and thickeners but these are not realLy jam IMHO...

Yuck!

>>find me a recipe without that amount of sugar <<

You did notice the title of the thread? Even I would baulk at spreading a normal chilli sauce on my breakfast toast (yes, I have tried this one). Come to think of it, "baulk" might not be the right word, just "untested". I'm now thinking of huevos rancheros. mmmm. Menas tortillas, pero, con toast and chilli jam.

Fried eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, a bit of chilli SAUCE, sounds good to me
Hold the toast
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State