Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815412 times)

annie

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #300 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:42:01 pm »
Finally yes.  I took JC and his friend to their club, the bike was in the car and I had just over an hour to spare.  I managed to cycle 10miles in about 40 minutes and still have time to sit and have a drink and rest before they came out.  I was hot and sticky.

There was an incident with a taxi driver, I must have been invisible as he came out of a pub car park diagonally  towards me, I was in my hi vis jacket cycling alongside a field of rape.  Fortunately his window was down as I screamed and he heard me and swerved into the oncoming traffic before again swerving back towards me.  I  had already managed to unclip and no harm was done as I went into the verge.  The taxi driver looked terrified,   he didn't apologise.  All's well that ends well I guess.

I think this might be one of the first days I have run, gone to the gym and then cycled.  I think my recovery is going well.

border-rider

« Reply #301 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:44:23 pm »
10 miles on the trike this evening :)

I've never ridden it that far before, but I was feeling brave after going to the market on it this morning.  A lovely sunny evening ride from home up the Lambourn Valley to the Ridgeway above Ashbury, then back.

« Reply #302 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:45:04 pm »
10 miles on the trike this evening :)

I've never ridden it that far before, but I was feeling brave after going to the market on it this morning.  A lovely sunny evening ride from home up the Lambourn Valley to the Ridgeway above Ashbury, then back.

You didn't end up in a hedge then?!

PS Are you giving up on fixed? It would seem so.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

border-rider

« Reply #303 on: 02 May, 2008, 09:49:25 pm »
no hedges

I haven't given up on fixed.  One day i might fix the trike...

No, just a change of machine. 

revrob

• YACF 426
« Reply #304 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:50:50 pm »
105k around Snowdon with a group from Bolsover Wheelers and friends (Yes they do have some!)

Smashing weather, good company, what cycling is all about really.
Pob bendith,

Robert

bobmick

« Reply #305 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:39:36 pm »
A 14 mile pootle along the Chesterfield canal and back in warm sunshine.  Lots of walkers and photo opportunities to slow me down to the point where I probably could have walked it almost as quickly.  Did I care?  No, it was lovely.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #306 on: 03 May, 2008, 01:29:03 pm »
I did a fast three laps of Richmond Park this morning (I was wearing my purple Etape 2007 jersey if anyone else was out).  Was faster than I have been for a while, lapping at just over 21 minutes per lap.  I have been quicker than that but a while ago and in a group.

Hoping to break the hour barrier for the three laps this year  :thumbsup:

« Reply #307 on: 03 May, 2008, 06:35:31 pm »
after a week of work & builder-related nonsense, I managed 45 miles today.  Surprisingly windy :)

« Reply #308 on: 03 May, 2008, 06:38:02 pm »
I did the Wiggy 100, my first Audax,  and I met Mr Mseries.

Jezza

« Reply #309 on: 03 May, 2008, 06:40:51 pm »
24 miles, Southwold to Beccles. Very nice ride - easy pace. But the wind's a bit fresh.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #310 on: 03 May, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »
A trip to Waitrose, and back with a trailer full of shopping.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #311 on: 03 May, 2008, 07:23:11 pm »
I did a fast three laps of Richmond Park this morning (I was wearing my purple Etape 2007 jersey if anyone else was out).  Was faster than I have been for a while, lapping at just over 21 minutes per lap.  I have been quicker than that but a while ago and in a group.

Hoping to break the hour barrier for the three laps this year  :thumbsup:

That's good going. I just haven't been lapping the park as much as I'd like lately so my times are rubbish.  :(

annie

« Reply #312 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:00:26 pm »
No but I did spend the day in Cambridge and saw hundreds of cyclists, does that count?

gordon taylor

« Reply #313 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:14:15 pm »
I rode the hack up to Hanley this morning for my Biobank medical check thingy. My plans for an afternoon pootle were scuppered when I fell asleep on the sofa.

« Reply #314 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:22:09 pm »
A gentle ride to Hertford and back, an afternoon in the sun, and my absurd cycling tan has kicked in already.

« Reply #315 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:34:49 pm »
Yes, to my first ever skating lesson in Hyde Park with the wonderful BentMikey! Thanks, Mike, for a great experience: I loved it, and you were very patient with this newbie. :)

Lovely afternoon pootle too with Woolly via a picnic in Brompton Cemetary. Great day.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #316 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:37:39 pm »

Lovely afternoon pootle too with Woolly via a picnic in Brompton Cemetary. Great day.

They bury bromtons?  ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #317 on: 03 May, 2008, 10:28:25 pm »
A short ride from Long eaton to Nottingham train station on my new bike.
Don't ask.

« Reply #318 on: 03 May, 2008, 11:44:25 pm »
Basil: no Bromptons buried, but a few alive and kicking on the bike path (not to be confused with the 'dog path').

And, of course, I should have said 'cemetery' ;)

Elleigh

« Reply #319 on: 04 May, 2008, 08:02:49 am »
I cycled to the supermarket and back!

« Reply #320 on: 04 May, 2008, 09:11:59 am »
An early ride to Blakeney to meet my OH who had left even earlier to get there on his boat. He was there moored up on Blakeney Quay when I arrived at 7.05am! We agreed we were being slightly irresponsible parents - we'd left the kids asleep while we both went out to play!

I cycled home and am now sitting waiting for a phone call from Max to go and get him so that he can spend the day at home and then go back to Blakeney this evening to bring the boat back.

What fun!

Sara

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #321 on: 04 May, 2008, 11:12:02 am »
Just over 20 miles in lovely sunshine and lots of rape in flower.

I hoped to hear a cuckoo and went to the places I'd expect him to be, but no luck. I explored a "development area" near Gunners Park, saw some turnstones on the beach, found myself on the wrong side of a fence and had to be let out by a security guard, with whom I had a pleasant chat. He admired my beard ( :thumbsup:) and opined that it must "cost a lot of money" to grow a beard like that. I said that I thought it was probably cheaper than the alternative.

I very nearly had a clipless moment when going down a kerb, having unclipped on the left but not on the right, and that was the way the bike chose to go. I just extricated my right foot in time.

There were quite a lot of other cyclists about, including a rather untidy peloton from the Essex Roads club, who were belting along Shopland Road. A few of them had time to exchange a hurried "Good morning!"

There was a green woodpecker at one point, and lots of whitethroats and skylarks doing their stuff.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

GillP

« Reply #322 on: 04 May, 2008, 11:14:52 am »
Sounds lovely Wow, I'm looking forward to being able to get out on the bikes instead of all this packing malarkey  :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #323 on: 04 May, 2008, 11:27:01 am »
I cycled to the supermarket and back!
And others how the heck do you get up and out that early on a weekend !!! We just got up and are having breakfast before our ride to Box Hill and back. You lot are mad I tell you ;)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #324 on: 04 May, 2008, 02:57:48 pm »
30 miles today as preparation for my Edinburgh-St Andrews. The last time I did 30 miles, I was so tired for the last 5 I could have cried, but I was ok today, could have kept going. Will try for 40 next weekend.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.