Author Topic: Can i change tubeless to Clincher?  (Read 1350 times)

Can i change tubeless to Clincher?
« on: 26 June, 2020, 12:48:02 pm »
I'm hopefully picking up a new bike tomorrow which comes with 32mm tubeless tyre, Wheels are PR-2 (Giant) Having never run tubeless before I'm unsure what's involved or with puncture repair etc. Heard a lot of good (and bad) things about tubeless so looking for info on the best solution please.

My preference would be to put 28mm clinchers on with tubes but I can't find any info to say if it's possible to do so with these rims.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Can i change tubeless to Clincher?
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2020, 12:58:28 pm »
28mm clinchers will be fine on your wheels. My Giant came with PR-0 (iirc) wheels, which are tubeless ready but they were set up with clinchers and tubes when the bike first arrived. I've since converted to tubeless.

If the bike is coming already set up tubeless, why not give it a go first before changing, see how you get on with it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2020, 01:09:47 pm »
28mm clinchers will be fine on your wheels. My Giant came with PR-0 (iirc) wheels, which are tubeless ready but they were set up with clinchers and tubes when the bike first arrived. I've since converted to tubeless.

If the bike is coming already set up tubeless, why not give it a go first before changing, see how you get on with it?

Yes bike is set up tubeless but as stated above I've no idea what to do with them if a deflation happens? Do you put sealant in or does it come already enclosed in the tyre?
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2020, 01:18:07 pm »
I've no idea what to do with them if a deflation happens? Do you put sealant in or does it come already enclosed in the tyre?

They ought to have sealant in them already, but depending on when it was done, it might need refreshing. You should add fresh sealant every six months or so anyway.

The trouble is it won't be obvious until you actually get a puncture.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2020, 02:24:11 pm »
Are you sure they will be set up tubeless.

New bikes with TL rims usually come tubed

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2020, 03:02:44 pm »

Yes bike is set up tubeless but as stated above I've no idea what to do with them if a deflation happens? Do you put sealant in or does it come already enclosed in the tyre?

If the sealant works it should stop full deflation on anything that doesn't need plugged.
If you get a partial deflation that the sealant stops but you'd rather not ride on then you just need to top the air up with a pump.

If you don't have plugs and get that level of deflation then it's a case of: tyre off, boot over the hole and put a tube in to finish the ride.

Check with the shop when you collect it to see if they've put sealant in or just pumped the tyres up, I'd expect the former but...

For plugs, there's various options, I went for one of these https://www.3peakscycles.com/products/p-repair-dyna-carb-ultra
and some extra insertion tubes as the loose plugs stick together in the barrel...
Not had to use it yet, and never had a need for similar when MTBing (or had to put a tube in either).

Davef

Can i change tubeless to Clincher?
« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2020, 04:27:15 pm »
Are you sure they will be set up tubeless.

New bikes with TL rims usually come tubed
Giant ship without tubes and with sealant in if you are picking up from a dealer. Mail order it should come with a small bottle of giants own brand sealant. At least that was the case last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk