Author Topic: items of yore  (Read 35074 times)

Re: items of yore
« Reply #475 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:38:58 pm »
British cycle components are nearly gone these days. We shouldn't have to rely on forrons
as we should have the skills here in the UK
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #476 on: 28 January, 2022, 06:39:10 pm »
Green shield stamps/catalogue stores.  :hand:
Mutated into Argos.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #477 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:07:00 pm »

They became Argos.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #478 on: 28 January, 2022, 07:56:26 pm »

.... and S&H pink stamps and the Co-op had a go with stamps too.

« Reply #479 on: 28 January, 2022, 08:04:16 pm »
Hmmm, tobacconist shops, you don't see many of those around these days either.

There was one until quite recently at the top of Walthamstow High Street but it's gorn now chiz.
There's one in Leicester City Centre (leastways it was there pre plague, and it's still on street view).
Hate the disgusting habit, but the smell of a tobacconist shop is quite pleasant. It's a pity that they have to burn the stock.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #480 on: 28 January, 2022, 08:37:51 pm »

There was one until quite recently at the top of Walthamstow High Street but it's gorn now chiz.
There's one in Leicester City Centre (leastways it was there pre plague, and it's still on street view).
Hate the disgusting habit, but the smell of a tobacconist shop is quite pleasant. It's a pity that they have to burn the stock.

There's still one in Edinburgh, too.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #481 on: 28 January, 2022, 08:39:58 pm »

They're the ones selling 18650 cells and vape liquids.

That's useful to know given my current front bike lights!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #482 on: 28 January, 2022, 08:58:22 pm »
Quote from: MikeFromLFE
...the smell of a tobacconist shop is quite pleasant. It's a pity that they have to burn the stock.
My (maternal) grandad used to grow his own tobacco and the smell of the dried leaves was pleasant.  Mind you after he'd shredded them & made his roll-ups or filled his pipe and lit up it was a different matter.  Heigh ho.  When you're bored, plug the words "nicotiana fragrance" into your favourite search engine.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #483 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:02:59 pm »

They're the ones selling 18650 cells and vape liquids.

That's useful to know given my current front bike lights!
Vape liquids are the modern acetylene!  :o ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #484 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:15:36 pm »
Roast chestnut sellers. Not seen much these days.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #485 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:24:41 pm »
The sweet shop. We used to visit on Friday with pocket money. 1 pence for every year old you were.  Sherbet dips, liquorice strings, gob stoppers etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #486 on: 28 January, 2022, 09:39:57 pm »
Roast chesnut sellers. Not seen much these days.

I think I've only ever seen these on Oxford Street.  And would be surprised if they aren't still there.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #487 on: 28 January, 2022, 11:00:44 pm »
Roast chesnut sellers. Not seen much these days.

I think I've only ever seen these on Oxford Street.  And would be surprised if they aren't still there.

There used to be one at the bottom of the ramp from New St station over the winter.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ian

« Reply #488 on: 29 January, 2022, 06:33:25 pm »
I had some from a stall on one those Christmas light events (now de rigour at stately homes in the SE). And a marshmallow on a stick that I toasted to the point that it became molten, so when I bit into it, the innards erupted and fused with my beard for much comedy.

« Reply #489 on: 29 January, 2022, 06:57:03 pm »
Roast chestnut sellers. Not seen much these days.

Quite often seen in London St Norwich - I think they were even there when I last visited at the end of summer.

They are also often on Ely Market near Christmas.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #490 on: 29 January, 2022, 06:59:26 pm »
Aren't they the norm at those identikit Christmas market thingies? I haven't been to one for a few years, but I definitely remember seeing chestnuts...

ian

« Reply #491 on: 29 January, 2022, 07:36:13 pm »
The chestnut then molten beard marshmallow incident reminds me that at the time I was proposing rebranding Polesden Lacey as Polesden Lacy, Surrey most upmarket strip joint. Evidently at some length, as no one noticed the beard-marshmallow fusion event. Though my friend Poppy* was moved to comment that the National Trust might have some issues with my plan.

*yes, absolutely, fucking really.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #492 on: 29 January, 2022, 07:38:01 pm »
Aren't they the norm at those identikit Christmas market thingies? I haven't been to one for a few years, but I definitely remember seeing chestnuts...

Possibly.  I'm only aware of the Glühwein, the møøse and the angel that looks like Auntie Helen with a can of Special Brew.  Everything else (including whatever town centre thing you foolishly tried to get to while the Christmas Sodding Market was on) is usually obscured by a several of thousand Brummies.  Something in there smells like candyfloss.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #493 on: 30 January, 2022, 12:44:11 am »
Kendal has Chestnutters roasting away quite often in the Winter months. Preston too.
Last time I was in Manchester there was a Posh tobacconist in a Posh arcade, they started selling vaping gear too.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #494 on: 30 January, 2022, 07:04:06 am »

Possibly.  I'm only aware of the Glühwein, the møøse and the angel that looks like Auntie Helen with a can of Special Brew.  Everything else (including whatever town centre thing you foolishly tried to get to while the Christmas Sodding Market was on) is usually obscured by a several of thousand Brummies.  Something in there smells like candyfloss.
OK, that I feature in Christmas Markets is new to me…

In the markets here in Germany (I haven’t been to one since Covid sadly) they do gebrannte Mandeln which are roasted, sugared almonds and other similar items. Lovely! I think they also have Kastanien (chestnuts) although I don’t eat them myself.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #495 on: 30 January, 2022, 08:22:03 am »

OK, that I feature in Christmas Markets is new to me…

In the markets here in Germany (I haven’t been to one since Covid sadly) they do gebrannte Mandeln which are roasted, sugared almonds and other similar items. Lovely! I think they also have Kastanien (chestnuts) although I don’t eat them myself.

I used to be a fan of those in pre-diabetes days, looked forward to trips to Germany/Netherlands pre Christmas to bring some back
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #496 on: 30 January, 2022, 08:33:44 am »

Irritating how Christmas markets have been copied all over and reduced the originals to "oh, they've got one of those too".  Reminds me of when the Inlaw Paw first saw a village in Alsace and said "they do like their phony half-timbering, don't they?"  Ahem. Real.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #497 on: 30 January, 2022, 09:06:44 am »
Paper chains at Christmas

« Reply #498 on: 30 January, 2022, 01:13:30 pm »
Paper chains at Christmas

I still have those,  when I can be bothered...

« Reply #499 on: 22 June, 2022, 11:19:53 pm »
appropriated from a post on the book of faces:

"Picked up my sons from school and stopped to get gas; invited them to get out of the car and learn how to do it.
"Afterwards the 11yo says 'thanks for the life lesson, but I'll never drive a gas car.
"13yo says 'this is like the time you showed us how a pay phone works."