Author Topic: Our broadband went down about 1 hour ago.  (Read 4065 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Our broadband went down about 1 hour ago.
« Reply #50 on: 04 November, 2021, 12:42:25 pm »
My timetable solution is to research the bus services that I regularly use.  I take a screen grab on my mobile of the current timetable and store these in a folder in my photo gallery called bus timetables.  When I need to use a bus I select the appropriate image and enlarge on screen to see what I need to see.

A mix of tech solution which doesn't require a 2g/3g/4g/5g connection but only rely useful to folk who already have the mobile phone tech.

The great thing about having a smartphone is that you can cart gigabytes of useful data around in your pocket, just in case (I've got the whole UK in OS maps, for example).  Sadly, molishers of apps are reluctant to make use of this, assuming that you'll always have an internet connection.

Exactly - I too have the complete OS and probably 20 pdf docs that contain "stuff I might need to know when I'm out" - thus obviating the need for wifi or an sort of G connection.  That's as well as my desktop diary and Evernote syncing to the phone for offline access.

« Reply #51 on: 04 November, 2021, 02:38:07 pm »
It makes good sense to keep as much useful information as possible available on your phone.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 06 November, 2021, 11:25:12 am »

Exactly - I too have the complete OS and probably 20 pdf docs that contain "stuff I might need to know when I'm out" - thus obviating the need for wifi or an sort of G connection.  That's as well as my desktop diary and Evernote syncing to the phone for offline access.

I have a copy of the instructions of how to extricate someone from a Soyuz capsule. Just in case one emergency lands in front of me on a bike ride.

You never know...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/