Author Topic: SRAM eTap battery dimension change?  (Read 563 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
SRAM eTap battery dimension change?
« on: 09 January, 2022, 11:40:51 am »
Both HK and I have SRAM 11sp Red eTap on our Moultons and we have 5 derailleur batteries between us. It seems worthwhile to be able to quickly swap an empty battery on the road during a 1200 and recharge the drained battery at the next checkpoint. I recently purchased another SRAM battery (not a no-name battery) and it is a very tight fit in the charger, to the extent that I needed to don a rubber glove to get enough traction to pull it out (yes, the catch was fully released). Have SRAM changed battery dimensions when they went to 12 speed?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: SRAM eTap battery dimension change?
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2022, 11:55:30 am »
After squinting and carefully comparing the new and older batteries, I think the new battery has been assembled with an over-enthusiastic quantity of bonding material between the battery and casing. Either I swap the battery (from an international supplier) or I carefully remove the excess material.

EDIT: The excess material is too flexible to be epoxy, possibly a polyurethane or acrylic. Trimmed away the excess and the battery clips into and out of the charger as designed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...