Author Topic: Anyone we know?  (Read 1975 times)

Re: Anyone we know?
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »
Cyclist stages one-man protest in front of bus in Piccadilly, York (From York Press)
The company spokes said that the cyclist had been "weaving in and out of traffic....". How did they get that information? The bus driver would have been looking forwards.
"...when the bus pulled out after indicating". Hmmm, I know that move; indicate as you manoeuvre, more like. Familiar enough to me. Interesting how the bus company felt the need to emphasise those two words.

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:45:24 am »
It wasn't me, but I ended up with a similar altercation at the micklgate junction, http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Micklegate,+York&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.835858,33.486328&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Micklegate,+York,+North+Yorkshire+YO1,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.955701,-1.091534&spn=0.000761,0.004088&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.955701,-1.091534&panoid=dbfqv2NCvzQrguSHu6iRUw&cbp=11,101.98,,0,5

I rode up the cycle lane and pulled into the advance box in front of the bus. Lights on red. One other cyclist already in advancebox.
The bus started moving forwards, into the box. I looked at driver. Bus still moving forwards, lights on red. I shout "Oi" and point at red light. Lights then change, so I set off, checking over shoulder as I do so, 'cause I'm going right and people often try to overtake and go straight on at that junction.
Driver in bus has both hands off wheel, is gesticulating and shouting - bus still moving, turning corner in fact. So I stopped, got off bike and stood in front of bus. Driver leans out of window, screaming, absolutely screaming "The lights were green, etc". Exchange of words follows, I suggest he got his licence from a packet of cornflakes and ride off.

What got me was that this idiot thought it was fine to take both hands off the wheel while negotiating a tight corner, in traffic, in a double-length bendy bus.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:25:23 pm »
I don't know  him, though I think I've seen his bike before.

mrcharly, are you saying you faced down a moving bus?  Respect!

Foxhunting is raised in the comments section.  Do you reckon we know "spockboy"?  ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:29:58 pm »
Speak of 'anyone we know', whilst I was being ferried to the Enterprise depot in Foss Islands yesterday I saw a hardtail MTB with what looked suspiciously like a Rohloff on it - it was locked up outside the bakery at the town end of Bishopthorpe Road. The frame looked a bit crappy, but the hub stood out a mile.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »
If it had a battered yellow frame and a hub dynamo, that would have been Sara's bike.

Yeah, the bus was moving - slowly. If he hadn't stopped, I would have had time to dodge. Wasn't any big deal, I was a bit embarrassed for losing it  - although I did suppress the impulse to drag the stupid bastard out through his window. That would have being going a little too far.

That junction is under multiple cctv, so I might be appearing in a York press article soon. Incident happened on Saturday.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »
If I suggest balaclavas and handlebar mounted machine guns, do you reckon they'll enjoy reading this thread in Cheltenham?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »
If it had a battered yellow frame and a hub dynamo, that would have been Sara's bike.
Definitely wasn't - I know most of Sara's bikes, at least from old.
The only other person I know who rides a battered yellow bike is Pete Eland, and it wouldn't have been him 'cos he doesn't have a Rohloff (at least I don't think he does) and should have been at work at the time anyway :)

No - this was a dark frame, maybe dark blue or black underneath all the muck, and definitely had a bloke-y look to it (IYSWIM).

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »
Ah - erm, I know whose bike it is, erm name escapes me. currently partner of Carrie Hamm and involved with Get Cycling.  Nice bike.

Sara seems to be sticking to her faithful yellow battered animal. often see here at York station with it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:26:06 pm »
when the bus pulled out after indicating

Highway Code translation = 'I am pulling out or intend to pull out'

Woking Bus Depot translation = 'I'm coming out and this orange light that I'm putting on 0.01 second before doing it gives me this God-given right without any regard for the consequences!'

This is true for cyclists and cars alike!! >:(
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2011, 07:44:25 pm »
Their (the bus operator's) argument will probably be based on HWC Rule 223:-

Buses, coaches and trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops. Look out for people getting off a bus or tram and crossing the road.

It's intended to be the same as the rule for an amber light on a traffic light; if you can safely stop in the space before an indicating bus then you should do so in order to let it out before you.

Obviously we don't know the specifics of the original incident, but that's probably why they mentioned it.

(Also note this has nothing to do with mrcharly's incident...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."