Author Topic: Camping Food  (Read 8547 times)

Re: Camping Food
« Reply #25 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:19:29 pm »
and the smell keeps the bugs away.  :thumbsup:
does it also keep away the campsite groupies?

There are campsite groupies? :o
Did you not know ? 

Damn, I've obviously been missing out.  It's clearly a conspiracy.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #26 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:57:34 pm »
Stop at supermarket late afternoon. Buy a load of crap that doesn't need cooking and a few beers. Eat food in car park. Find camp site. Drink beers whilst pitching tent. Rinse out beer cans with water form bottle. Bugger off to the nearest pub for the evening. In morning brew up some coffee. Poor into empty beer can and drink  :thumbsup:

Edit: You may get some odd looks from people who believe you are drinking Stella at 8 in the morning  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2008, 12:18:30 am »
It depends were you are camping.  If I'm in the back of beyond (NW Scotland, Norway etc) then it's variations on pasta'n'tuna, pasta'n'ham, pasta'n'sausage with whatever veggies are to hand.  When I got back from 4 weeks in Iceland I couldn't face tinned tuna for a year!

If you are somewhere were there are plenty of shops just buy  what you would normally eat before you get to the campsite, assuming you've got a sensible cooking kit.

Example: 

Stodge - Couscous, just add boiling water & oil/butter/spices.  Quick cook rice in a bag is good as well.

Veg - in a saucepan, gently fry onions/garlic/diced peppers or fine beans, add a couple of chopped tomatoes and simmer.

Meat - Lamb steaks or chops, cooked to taste.

You'll need to juggle the pans over the single burner so everything is ready at the same time.

Wine - a decent Rioja or Cabernet Sauvignon

Enjoy!

My cooking kit:

Trangia 27 with an extra small pot from a mini Trangia. Gives 3 saucepans of different sizes & a decent frying pan.

Chopping board / strainer - a circular disc that goes on the bottom of the Trangia.

Spatula or wooden spoon - Sharp knife, Opinels are very good for food prep.

Plate, knife,fork,spoon.  Sometimes a proper corkscrew.

Herbs & spices, tube of tomato puree, tin of Marigold stock.

For coffee
 Amazon.co.uk: Smart café hot cafetiere mug - platinum: Kitchen & Home

For wine Lexan Wine Glass from Taunton Leisure

I don't tend to lose weight on cycling trips..... :)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark