Author Topic: 20 mph is coming to SW20 (well, at least bits of it)  (Read 2432 times)

20 mph is coming to SW20 (well, at least bits of it)
« on: 24 November, 2008, 09:39:21 pm »
HUZZAH !!

Merton Council are proposing a 20mph zone all round where I live.

Great result. Perhaps I won't have to throw myself out in front of speeding numpties any more.

Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
Re: 20 mph is coming to SW20 (well, at least bits of it)
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2008, 09:41:40 pm »
Great news! :)
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2008, 11:25:51 am »
Hate to spoil it, but I live slap bang in the middle of a 20 mph zone (LB of Bromley). Good intentions aside, it's not enforced and virtually every car drives 30-40 mph, using the area as a rat run to avoid the lights on the main road. Cars tend to bullet down the single lane in the middle of the road (because parked cars line the streets) like it's the barrel of a gun. There's some traffic calming of the variety that flings cyclists in and out of this line of fire. As a cyclist you need a firm will and love of primary, because you're periodically going to be facing an oncoming BMW driven at speed by ubiquitous mobile phone using driver.

Sorry, it sounds very negative. I think they're a great idea, but the implementation leaves a bit to be desired. Drivers, sadly, don't police themselves and having 20 mph where no one drives at 20 mph tends to void any benefit.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2008, 11:58:56 am »
There is a psychological effect.  Those fuckwits would be barrelling along there anyway if the limit were 30, 40 or whatever.  A 20 limit will temper excess speed, even if it means getting people down to 30 generally.
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2008, 12:18:20 pm »
There's a 20mph zone in my commute

Sometimes the cars stick to 20mph too!

This is extra super plus good as you can overtake them all

« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2008, 01:15:50 pm »
As I said on another thread, speed limits need to be self enforcing to be efficient.  Just sticking up signs makes no difference.  If anything it increases danger when people pull out of side roads when the approaching car is x feet away simply because "at 20mph there's plenty of room".

Here's a copy and paste from a recent email I received when enquiring about implementing a 20.
Two way of getting 20mph speed limit:

1.   By order, where the existing 85 percentile is 24mph or less.
Typically dead ends, narrow windy streets.
2.   20mph zone - must be self enforcing.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2008, 01:21:01 pm »
Great news, they just need to get rid of the dreadful cycling farcilites in Coombe Lane now, or as I call it 'use the effin cycle lane' alley.

I must nip over the border to my daughter's house in LBM and blag her local Guardian this week.

I bet the letters page will be a classic.

« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2008, 08:19:29 am »
The self-enforcement piece figures strongly in the proposals. A number of extra roads will have speed cushions fitted (in addition to a couple that already have).

The other roads are only really just wide enough for a car and bike to pass slowly (due to cars parked on both sides) and I have developed a strong will and love of the primary. If you hold your nerve, oncoming motorists always slow down, more so at night with a decent front lamp on.

As for the farcilities in Coombe Lane, well ...  I'd better stop there for fear of this turning into a rant. Suffice to say that in my four years of commuting the only place it has ever been suggested I should be on the cycle path is that stretch.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2020, 11:12:44 am »
Good grief. Twelve years later they've finally managed it, across the whole borough.
Rust never sleeps