Author Topic: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4  (Read 26476 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Cycle Show Mondays from 23 July on ITV4
« Reply #150 on: 28 August, 2012, 07:45:30 pm »
My proposals to improve the show.

- Base each programme on an event, eg a cycle rally/audax/sportive/charity ride/race/track meet.  Present on location from the event, cover that in depth but interspersed with the magazine pieces
- Ensure that over the series the events chosen cover the complete spectrum of cycling and cover the entire UK, although a bias towards Scotland would be entirely understandable given that we have the best scenery  ;)
- Show the presenters taking part in the activities presented
- Forget about celebrities, it isn't OK! magazine.  Focus on normal people, and the enjoyment they are getting from the event
- Include magazine pieces on how to's, on kit selection, on favourite rides, and favourite tea stops (cake !)

BBC Scotland viewers may notice a parallel between the above and the aforementioned Adventure Show  :)

Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #151 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »
I'd like to see the Adventure Show but live on the warmer, drier side of the line, has the Snow Roads one been on yet?

I understand your comments RoJ but i think they are looking to make something which is more widely accessible, scrapping the celebrity and presenter participation is fair enough, but i think they are intended to help people to buy into it and to show that 'look you're getting to know this presenter, they're not especially gifted perhaps but they can have a go and enjoy it so perhaps you can too'. 

Well that's my perspective at least.

Just caught this weeks episode and really enjoyed it, i think they're getting a nice balance and feel but it needs the full hour (read 45 minute) slot.

Can one watch the Vipond turn himself inside out on YouTube?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #152 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »
I did suggest they cover carrying stupidly inappropriate loads by bike. Maybe they should go and visit Mr Wobbly.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #153 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:52:59 pm »
Ooh.  Hopefully the Russell T Davies episodes, with Ben and the sheep with the wellies...

Crikey, I worked on some of those.  #old

Awesome!   :D

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #154 on: 29 August, 2012, 07:06:57 am »
Can one watch the Vipond turn himself inside out on YouTube?

I expect it will be on i-player.  They seem to be having a summer break at the moment, the last programme was from the MTB World Cup in Fort William in July, their next programme appears to be scheduled for October. 
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #155 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:56:44 am »
I remember watching Dougie blowing out of his ass climbing the Bealach na Ba challenge, and looking very wobbly and in need of more gears going around the hairpins. And then some git shoved a camera in his face while he was trying not to vom.

That's worth paying the TV licence for! ;D
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

David Martin

« Reply #156 on: 01 September, 2012, 08:32:54 pm »
That would be this Mr Vipond at the hairpins on the Cairn O'Mount..?

Ooops! by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #157 on: 01 September, 2012, 09:41:48 pm »
^  David, I hope you didn't knock him off on purpose !
Aero but not dynamic

David Martin

« Reply #158 on: 01 September, 2012, 10:02:04 pm »
It was a mechanical. I'm looking forward to that episode of the adventure show airing..

David Martin

« Reply #159 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:55:03 pm »
I liked the balance bike bit - just moved our balance bike on from the youngest to the cousins and now on to a local family with a 3yo. They really are the way to go and every primary school with a reception class should have some (and every nursery too!) Ours was the Lidl special from about 5 years ago.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #160 on: 04 September, 2012, 01:40:29 pm »
That would be this Mr Vipond at the hairpins on the Cairn O'Mount..?
Massively OT ramble:

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AndyK

« Reply #161 on: 04 September, 2012, 02:47:26 pm »
Worn BB= New pedals? Where was that service, Halfrauds?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #162 on: 04 September, 2012, 03:11:42 pm »
I assumed it was in the workshop at LMNH.

fuzzy

« Reply #163 on: 04 September, 2012, 03:34:21 pm »
I think the segment was filmed in Nornireland, where the presenter johnny comes from.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #164 on: 04 September, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »
Worn BB= New pedals? Where was that service, Halfrauds?

To be fair he did say the bearings in the pedals were worn, and showed how to check.  He also mentioned what effect that would have (extra strain on knees and hips)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #165 on: 04 September, 2012, 09:31:00 pm »
Having been alerted by the tweets of Mark Beaumont and Jill Douglas I recorded this edition and sat down to watch fast forward button at the ready not expecting it to be any better than the one I watched a few weeks ago.  I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised.  I remain disappointed about the lack of Dawes Galaxies and cotton duck but it was nevertheless quite watchable.
Aero but not dynamic

fuzzy

« Reply #166 on: 05 September, 2012, 11:08:39 am »
I think this edition has been the best yet. The balance seems to be developing and the regular presenters seem to be settling in and becoming more comfortable in their roles.

Roger Hammond was a very good guest and Jill Douglas is a media pro anyway.

Mark Beaumont is the most comfortable in front of the camera, non pro peleton type rider I have seen on the show.

LEE

« Reply #167 on: 05 September, 2012, 02:48:24 pm »
  I remain disappointed about the lack of Dawes Galaxies and cotton duck but it was nevertheless quite watchable.

There was an old codger who kept walking in front of camera...he looked like he may own a Dawes Galaxy and Cotton Duck.

« Reply #168 on: 05 September, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »
I think this edition has been the best yet. The balance seems to be developing and the regular presenters seem to be settling in and becoming more comfortable in their roles.

Ditto that, Anna seemed much better in this episode, i think they've nailed it now - it's a really good programmme.
One thing about the bike maintenance bit which surprised was that they didn't change the cables, but from the way the presenter was nudging and refreshing the conversation i think the mechanic might've got a bit of camera fright, which is fair enough.
Balance bike thing was interesting, never seen them before and never realised how big Mark Beaumont is!
Really happy for the programme makers, hooray for cycling!  ;D

LEE

« Reply #169 on: 11 September, 2012, 09:55:54 am »
Anyone feel slightly uneasy watching Kristian House descending the Stelvio pass?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #170 on: 11 September, 2012, 02:21:13 pm »
No
I now have that descent on my list of things to do before I die ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #171 on: 11 September, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »
Only just before, if you get it wrong :o
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #172 on: 11 September, 2012, 03:35:01 pm »
Anyone feel slightly uneasy watching Kristian House descending the Stelvio pass?

There were definitely some clean-inducing moments in the film they showed of his descent, especially the two tunnel bits....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #173 on: 11 September, 2012, 10:36:44 pm »
I didn't realise Jeff Banks was a cat 1 in his day.

Jeff Banks has been a Catford member for years & decided to put something back in by sponsoring our Junior team  ;D he's all right
"Don't stop pedalling"

AndyK

« Reply #174 on: 11 September, 2012, 10:50:23 pm »
Still far too much focus on cycling as a sport instead of transport. Getting bored with it now.