Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 216709 times)

Afasoas

Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #1275 on: 24 October, 2021, 06:34:42 pm »
Well sadly I have a Kubernetes cluster I've just stood up, using some ansible that I have spent this afternoon taking pains to finish.

Now what the hell do I do with it?  ???

« Reply #1276 on: 29 October, 2021, 09:31:19 am »
Fill in that last awkward square on that bingo sheet?

« Reply #1277 on: 02 November, 2021, 02:26:39 pm »
The battery in my phone no longer lasts a day, but other than that, it's still fine (it was top of the range 3 years ago). Samsung service centre initially said they could change the battery for me, but ultimately couldn't, as mine is a Hong Kong model, and has a different battery SKU number. So after watching a lot of videos in youtube I decided to take the risk and change the battery myself.

Essentially all modern phones are kept water tight by hot melt glue, you have to heat the back of your phone with a hairdryer, and then try get a little sliver open, and then get a paper thin piece of plastic in the crack to slice through the glue, and ball it up, and the glass back should lift off.

Took me a couple of hours, and in the spirit of fix it until it's broken, I cracked the glass back when I was a bit impatient. However the new battery is in, and I've got a few more days of battery testing before the new glass back arrives and I reseal it all.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1278 on: 30 November, 2021, 10:48:38 am »
I am valiantly putting off the installation of my new steering wheel on account of the undignified rolling around on the floor required.  It's cold down there…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1279 on: 30 November, 2021, 02:50:07 pm »
The battery in my phone no longer lasts a day, but other than that, it's still fine (it was top of the range 3 years ago). Samsung service centre initially said they could change the battery for me, but ultimately couldn't, as mine is a Hong Kong model, and has a different battery SKU number. So after watching a lot of videos in youtube I decided to take the risk and change the battery myself.

Essentially all modern phones are kept water tight by hot melt glue, you have to heat the back of your phone with a hairdryer, and then try get a little sliver open, and then get a paper thin piece of plastic in the crack to slice through the glue, and ball it up, and the glass back should lift off.

Took me a couple of hours, and in the spirit of fix it until it's broken, I cracked the glass back when I was a bit impatient. However the new battery is in, and I've got a few more days of battery testing before the new glass back arrives and I reseal it all.
I sent my iMac to the guys that provide cover for the office computers when it needed a new HDD.  Cue an email asking if I had ever noticed a crack in the screen.  No, I replied.  Totally honest, never been damaged, sent to them in original apple packaging.

iMac returned one week later with new screen!  I did feel a little sorry for them until I saw the latest invoice for their care package for the offices.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1280 on: 08 January, 2022, 06:12:38 pm »
Fettling my oil tank readings into influxdb.
A couple of years ago I set up rtl_433 on a pi to listen to the level sender and log the data.  The readings I have are intermittent and were spread over various places.  Initially they got logged to csv on the pi.  Later I set up influx & told rtl_433 to send the readings there.  That wasn't satisfactory as it gives you no control over the database schema.  So mosquitto and rode-red were recently added to the mix and once I'd figured them out and designed my schema readings started going to a new measurement (equiv of an sql table).  Useful metadata is added and the data goes in as appropriate data types instead of all floats.

Now comes the hard part, getting all the historic data in.  Some was in the old measurement, some was still on the pi in csv form.  I got there eventually but I hit upon a dirty little secret of node-red.  The influx output node doesn't use the time in the mqtt message it receives, the timestamp sent to influx is the node-red inject time.  Yep, node-red corrupts your data.

That, to me as a control system engineer, is effing nasty.  Recording the wrong timestamp on your data ffs!  I'd get fired if I did that at work and rightly so.

There is a solution, don't use the influx inject node, use the influx batch inject node.  That's designed (obviously) for sending multiple data points in one go but it works fine with just one.  Another day of head scratching and I had data flowing via batch inject and the timestamps in influx were correct.  Pity about all the corrupt data....

Luckily I'm a cautious engineer & when I got rtl_433 logging to influx and then later to mqtt I didn't stop the local csv logging :-)  This meant I could identify, delete and re-inject the readings node-red had cocked up.
Next I need to fix the nodes I have recording temperature and humidity data.  I should have correct backups for that too.

/Toddles off to see if I can submit a bug report...
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1281 on: 22 January, 2022, 09:21:33 pm »
Upgraded barakta's Mac from 832MB of RAM to 896MB, because I could.

« Reply #1282 on: 23 January, 2022, 10:52:00 am »
Changed the battery on my Toshiba Satellite laptop.

Removed all the screws in the base, which didn't seem to be enough. Quick reference to utube revealed that just two at the back release the complete battery unit, so simples.

Had to reset the time and date on restart, ignored all the other options which I didn't understand anyway.

The new one is white rather than black like the rest of case, very distracting during usage, so stuck some black handlebar tape on it. Battery now lasts about four hours rather than 20 minutes, though I usually keep the mains unit plugged in and exercise the battery once a week.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1283 on: 04 February, 2022, 11:07:54 am »
Fettled a small piece of inner tube as a replacement foot for my track ball. I doesn't rock now  :thumbsup:

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1284 on: 04 February, 2022, 02:44:55 pm »
I passed the screwdrivers.....

I went into the office for the first time in nearly two years yesterday. My bosses' laptop was on his desk, powered on as it has been for the last two years so that he can access it remotely.

Later in the afternoon he unplugged it to go to a meeting and by the time he returned the trackpad had started to bulge. It got worse. Both upper and lower halfs of the bottom were bulging. Screws were failing. Obviously the battery was having a major sulk.

As I'd taken my small screwdrivers with me (Wera, natch) I have them to him and he opened it up to remove the corpulent energy store.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1285 on: 05 April, 2022, 11:03:37 am »
Cleaned fly contents off my screen from where I had rubber-banded a big'un off to infinity.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

SoreTween

« Reply #1286 on: 11 June, 2022, 02:54:47 pm »
Drained the coolant out of my dead all-in-one CPU 'water' cooler, I don't think it is supposed to be lumpy.
Rinsed out with distilled water from the dehumidifier until the lumps stopped appearing.
Refilled with heat transfer fluid left over from the solar thermal install on Mrs Tween's barn.

Running at ~50˚C so far.  £63 saved if it holds.

« Reply #1287 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:18:10 pm »
Culled the baby dust puppies in the case grilles on my Babbage Engine. The CPU fan is now running a more quietly...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1288 on: 26 July, 2022, 08:31:33 pm »
Swapped out the flaky USB hub that connects mouse, keyboard and Kindle to Great Hall PC for one that (hopefully) works properly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1289 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:54:05 pm »
Applied assorted cargo-cult bugfixes and bad swears to the Arduino that counts the flashes of the blinkenlight on the electrosity meter.  Which has - power cuts, blu-tac failure and Ethernet cable wrangling aside - been utterly reliable for a several of years, but decided to go AWOL at audax o'clock yesterday morning when we were still in Waleslandshire, and again every few hours after I power cycle it.

Intriguingly, the failure mode is such that the Arduino program still seems to be running, as it's flashing its own blinkenlight in time with the meter's, but it's completely unresponsive on the network.  Various posts on forums about the WizNet Ethernet chip running out of sockets, with some suggested work-around that don't work on this particular version of the hardware.

Anyway, I've now modified the code so that the watchdog (an actual 555 timer, because AVRs are rubbish) resets it if there isn't an HTTP request for a few minutes.  And swapped the Arduino board for another one in case (as I suspect) this is actually due to hardware gremlins[1].  If that doesn't work, it's getting retired in favour of an ESP32.

[1] I had the sense to stick a "?dodgy ethernet" sticker on the old one, so it probably won't be.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1290 on: 27 July, 2022, 09:59:38 pm »
Anyway, I've now modified the code so that the watchdog (an actual 555 timer, because AVRs are rubbish) resets it if there isn't an HTTP request for a few minutes.  And swapped the Arduino board for another one in case (as I suspect) this is actually due to hardware gremlins[1].  If that doesn't work, it's getting retired in favour of an ESP32.

Shockingly, it's been rock solid since last night (no watchdog resets).  I guess the board has droid-rot.  I'd go poking around in search of iffy capacitors if it wasn't 2022[1] and I didn't have several other spares.

[1] If you want something Arduino-compatible that speaks Ethernet, using a ATmega328-based board is basically masochism on account of the lack of RAM and small program memory.

SoreTween

« Reply #1291 on: 11 August, 2022, 07:05:31 pm »
Replaced the 2008 vintage heart of my desktop:

Out: Gigabyte Ultra-Durable* (yes, they are very) P45 chipset, core 2 quad (95w), water cooler, 16Gb DDR3 (maxed)
In: Gigabyte Ultra-Durable X570S chipset (that's the low power variant), Ryzen 5700X (65w), water cooler, 16Gb DDR4 (some expansion potential remains :-) )

Power consumption down from 120-140w to ~80w.  Linux, despite all that change just booted except for the new NIC which took all of 10 minutes to get working and half of that was hunting for a USB stick to put the driver on.  Do they elope with the biros?

*Gigabyte Ultra-durable mostly means use of capacitors of which Kim would approve though other power components are also over spec'd.  My company bought four of the above mobo in 2008, 3 to use and one spare because in our experience to then motherboards rarely lasted more than 4 years and Windows, as we used then, always has sucked donkey balls at dealing with mobo changes.  By 2016 none had failed when my by now deceased business partners family bunged his out (gee thanks, I have family who could have used that). The spare is still in the box behind me, my 'server' is the last running.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1292 on: 04 September, 2022, 01:23:21 am »
About to re-add $BIGNUM audio files to iTunes.  Wonder how long it's gonna take, bearing in mind that they’re on a cranky old grid of a NAS…

Edit: They’re all present and correct* as of 09:20 this morning but the “Determining Audio Volume” swirly thing hasn't got halfway through yet.  And the order in which the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia processes Stuffs defies explanation ???

* Except the one track which – inexplicably – had “Album Artist” set to “Melins” instead of “Melvins”.  The other ten tracks on that album were right :-[

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1293 on: 06 September, 2022, 12:02:18 pm »
Copying audio onto new NAS.  According to Microsith this will take another two hours & forty minutes three hours.  Copying video will have to wait until after my holibobs, I think.

ian

« Reply #1294 on: 06 September, 2022, 12:12:53 pm »
I don't what scares me more Señor Larrers: your fearsomely complex IT architecture or the brobdingnagian extent of your music collection.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1295 on: 06 September, 2022, 12:30:33 pm »
It’s only 67,412 tracks…

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1296 on: 06 September, 2022, 03:20:37 pm »
According to teh Intarwebs, if you move your media files to another location, try to play one in iThings and tell it where to find it, iThings will then ask if you want it to find the other missing files and – should you reply in the affirmative – go off and find them.  I hope that having told it where to find “A Talking Horse” from “(A) Senile Animal” by (The) Melvins it can deduce my file naming scheme.

Or there will be Bad Swears.

« Reply #1297 on: 09 September, 2022, 03:07:23 pm »
Copied my boot HDD to a new SSD.  Now booting from new SSD.   Pleased to find hard drive was actually 2.5” and the mount already had space for the additional 2.5” SSD plus had spare SATA and power connectors in place.   Have left HDD inside PC but unplugged at moment as backup.  The HDD can be redeployed as a data drive in a few weeks once no funnies found with SSD.

Oddly the UEFI was set to RAID on for the SATA which I had to change to AHCI before cracking on with the installation and backup from HDD then restore to SSD process.

Windows 10 updates every two seconds should no longer keep killing the hard disc performance

« Reply #1298 on: 16 September, 2022, 05:23:21 pm »
It’s only 67,412 tracks…
How many years to listen to them all?  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1299 on: 17 September, 2022, 01:48:49 pm »
~ two and a half at the current rate.