Author Topic: [HAMR] womens record attempt - Kajsa Tylen Jan 1st start  (Read 147870 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: womens record
« Reply #25 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:34:40 pm »
hard to say, but a figure that is achievable by many female riders in 6hours is in a different ballpark to Kurt's 12h rides.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #26 on: 26 December, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »
The record is what it is. If it is broken, or even if not, it may inspire others to go for it. several of our female members here have annual mileage not far off the record, whilst holding down a full time job etc. So it is a very achievable record, but that does not make it easy.

Although I accept that it is a fairly low target when compared to the male record, it is not just about riding for 6 hours (or whatever) a day. It is about doing it 365 times (ideally).

Good luck!

A mega high mileage female AUK would stand a good chance of hitting the record in 6 months off work, if desired. 165 miles a day for 6 months gets the job done! Sounds easy?!?!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 26 December, 2015, 03:00:13 pm »
I never said it was easy.

I was addressing the issue that this attempt is getting a lot less attention than those by the chaps; i think it's almost inevitable.

to address the relative magnitudes: K can probably ride this on a 6-day week basis without reducing her chances. Still not *easy* but a completely different kind of challenge to 12-15h days.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #28 on: 26 December, 2015, 03:16:14 pm »
You wait until it kicks off, I am predicting at least 2 pages a day discussing her direction on the tracker. She will have live tracking won't she? Gosh, that would be tough doing it without.

I accept that you haven't said it will be easy, and I do sort of agree that it is nowhere near as daunting a target as the TG line. But a record is a record and breaking it by a mile is enough. It would be great tp see it taken to a really high level in the future as well, but in the meantime let's see a new record set!

Go go go!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 26 December, 2015, 03:20:35 pm »
I'm interested to see how how she copes with the first 2 months. It should be pretty obvious by then whether she has what it takes to beat the current women's record or not. The riding that she has done this year doesn't fill me with confidence about the result.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 27 December, 2015, 07:58:21 pm »
Zigzag asked what distance would catch people's attention.

Just for comparison, HK has about 19,000 miles this year, fitted around a full time job. Pat Kenny (male AUK) twice did 30,000 miles with a full-time job and around 22,000 most years.

In my eyes, 40,000 annual miles would be admirable for a lady riding to set a world record. That total would allow riding a variety of events in mixed terrain, rather than having to stick to a maximum mileage hamster wheel. There wouldn't be much time or energy to do anything else though and a single bike wouldn't be enough. Equipment just wears out too quickly, particularly in bad weather.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 28 December, 2015, 03:42:43 am »
My sister has started talking about going for this ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #32 on: 29 December, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »

I accept that you haven't said it will be easy, and I do sort of agree that it is nowhere near as daunting a target as the TG line. But a record is a record and breaking it by a mile is enough. It would be great tp see it taken to a really high level in the future as well, but in the meantime let's see a new record set!

Go go go!

For some random reason she's going via Guinness rather than UMCA.  Why I don't know but it makes the record far harder as you can have only one bike, have to start where you finish and can't draft.

I also believe that to claim the record you have to beat it by an agreed percentage not just one mile.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #33 on: 29 December, 2015, 01:14:54 pm »

For some random reason she's going via Guinness rather than UMCA.  Why I don't know but it makes the record far harder as you can have only one bike, have to start where you finish and can't draft.

I also believe that to claim the record you have to beat it by an agreed percentage not just one mile.

It does seem bizarre, Guinness really do seem to want to make things as complicated as possible for some records, and then take ages checking your proof for a claim apparently.

Then they could also just change the rules in future, like they did with Mike Halls round the world record ride, and wipe out your efforts from existence in Joe publics eyes at least.

« Reply #34 on: 29 December, 2015, 01:25:41 pm »
Agree Burlycross.

Personally if you are part of the ultra cycling fraternity either as a rider or an observer you'd know that the UMCA is where the Year Record is at and not to touch Guinness with a barge pole.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 29 December, 2015, 06:51:00 pm »
Agree Burlycross.

Personally if you are part of the ultra cycling fraternity either as a rider or an observer you'd know that the UMCA is where the Year Record is at and not to touch Guinness with a barge pole.
That's quite an important "if" !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #36 on: 29 December, 2015, 07:02:12 pm »
"part of the ultra cycling fraternity"

It is nice that the record attempts aren't exclusive to a tiny number of people.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #37 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:25:39 pm »
ultra cycling fraternity
I think 'fraternity' sums it up a bit, no?

hillbilly

« Reply #38 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:06:43 am »
And Roy Castle doesn't turn up anymore playing a trumpet and warbling "if you want to be a record breaker, yeah".

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 30 December, 2015, 08:56:51 am »
ultra cycling fraternity
It's probably only fair to lookup HK's gender and palmares before making that judgement.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #40 on: 31 December, 2015, 06:32:56 am »
ultra cycling fraternity
It's probably only fair to lookup HK's gender and palmares before making that judgement.
Sorry. I didn't include the 'present company accepted' caveat like a good boy... but it's just a comment on the choice of words and how they are descriptive of that particularly community. The vast majority of the participants and the spectators of this are men, and I think that affects both the accessibility of the sport for women AND the way any participation by women is perceived.

Until fairly shortly before Steve started his attempt and as a casual observer over the last few years, I had no idea the UMCA was a 'thing'... but I am very aware that I could feasibly train to ride 100+ miles per day. In fact, I could plan all the logistics for the record attempt with very little research except ratification. You don't have to be part of an exclusive group in order to do this kind of thing.

« Reply #41 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:34:57 am »
Let us hope Kajsa started as planned at 08.00 from Nottingham today and that all goes well for the year
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 01 January, 2016, 10:22:31 am »

« Reply #43 on: 01 January, 2016, 11:40:38 am »
Best of luck to young Kajsa.   :thumbsup:

This record may be a low hanging fruit, but I have to admire her spirit.  Maybe this will re-enlighten an interest in the women's record in much the same way the Steve and Kurt have for the men's.
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #44 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:18:11 pm »
Let us hope Kajsa started as planned at 08.00 from Nottingham today and that all goes well for the year
 :thumbsup:

+1 :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: 01 January, 2016, 03:07:35 pm »
The follow my challenge web page is quite good, albeit all the measurements are metric.

« Reply #46 on: 01 January, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »
Well good luck  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #47 on: 01 January, 2016, 11:45:33 pm »

Just for comparison, HK has about 19,000 miles this year, fitted around a full time job. Pat Kenny (male AUK) twice did 30,000 miles with a full-time job and around 22,000 most years.

[/quote]

With all them there miles might you be eligible for membership of the elite 300,000 mile club? ? You're be most welcome

red marley

« Reply #48 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:25:41 am »
Good start from Kajsa with 109 miles on her circuit SW of Nottingham (not particularly flat). Her 'Dovey line' is 81.1 mpd.

« Reply #49 on: 02 January, 2016, 12:46:46 am »
Thanks Jo