Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 197509 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #300 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:18:06 pm »
I'll be at work as you pass by The Lakes School, Friday midday-ish heading for Dunmail and again after you come down from the Wrynose.  I'll wave at you from the window.  Are you being routed up 'Sun Hill' and round the back of Orrest Head (Google shortest route) or are you main roading it to Kendal?

simonp

« Reply #301 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:19:02 pm »
There is a sign at the top of Rosedale Chimney advising cyclists to walk down.

« Reply #302 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:44:49 pm »
There is a sign at the top of Rosedale Chimney advising cyclists to walk down.
Lucky we're going up it then. Went down it ok on last years Pendle. I think riding down is probably safer than walking at the bottom.

The Pendle also did Hardknott the hard way. I was up to 153bpm 440K into a 600. That's 260 watts for me. Down to 4 or 5 km/h. Got to 28km/h on the descent of Hardknott :-[ still under the speed limit, 40km/h on Wrynoss though.

Booking with Virgin is simple, the trick is to use their East Coast website, not the West Coast one - that way you can book bikes online. They will automatically book bikes on all sections required or tell you there are no reservations available, i.e. full. They also tell you if reservations aren't possible - i.e. not required. You don't get the bike option until you go to the actual booking page. You can also use the First Great Western website which also does bike reservations.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #303 on: 21 June, 2016, 10:21:27 pm »

Booking with Virgin is simple, the trick is to use their East Coast website, not the West Coast one - that way you can book bikes online. They will automatically book bikes on all sections required or tell you there are no reservations available, i.e. full. They also tell you if reservations aren't possible - i.e. not required. You don't get the bike option until you go to the actual booking page. You can also use the First Great Western website which also does bike reservations.

I tried the East Coast web site but the price was more than twice what it was via thetrainline.com so I used that. Booked the cycle reservation by phone ok but the machine won't produce the bike reservation tickets. 3 trips to 2 different stations today. An online chat session, 3 phone calls to Virgin and the Trainline but still no joy.

Amusing at times though, after being told that I should know how their system works by Virgin, they asked if I could try Milton Keynes or Preston to pick up the tickets.

« Reply #304 on: 21 June, 2016, 10:47:19 pm »

I tried the East Coast web site but the price was more than twice what it was via thetrainline.com so I used that. Booked the cycle reservation by phone ok but the machine won't produce the bike reservation tickets. 3 trips to 2 different stations today. An online chat session, 3 phone calls to Virgin and the Trainline but still no joy.

Amusing at times though, after being told that I should know how their system works by Virgin, they asked if I could try Milton Keynes or Preston to pick up the tickets.
Well I never knew that. Just tried to book out and rtn trains, but no bike spaces on any  :(
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #305 on: 22 June, 2016, 07:57:22 am »
Is there a group doing anything on the Thursday evening, as I can get a train which arrives mid-afternoon. Only been to Blackpool once, as a kid, so I guess I could re-visit the pleasure beach!

« Reply #306 on: 22 June, 2016, 10:42:06 am »
Taking a double dose of nytol and banking a load of sleep is my plan!

« Reply #307 on: 22 June, 2016, 10:53:32 am »
If I make it to Blackpool I'll be on the piss somewhere :)

« Reply #308 on: 22 June, 2016, 11:21:16 am »

« Reply #310 on: 22 June, 2016, 12:30:38 pm »
Hello Andy,

Can I leave a small rugsac at the start and collect at the end ? I.e. Do you have the hall from Friday to Monday?

Joolz

« Reply #311 on: 22 June, 2016, 07:02:19 pm »

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #312 on: 22 June, 2016, 07:38:58 pm »
I'l be there Thursday evening.  Is there a favoured wetherspoon?

Shouldn't be hard to spot each other,  I'll be in cycling kit anyway  not planning to bring anything else!   

« Reply #313 on: 22 June, 2016, 10:38:24 pm »
I'll be having breakfast with cycling friends at a Milton Keynes 'spoons before catching the train. Planning on wearing lightweight minimum space civvies for the trip, that'll fit in the drop bag. Not checked the Liverpool 'spoons yet, but sounds like a brill idea. I had planned on losing weight (ha ha) but planning on walking up the steep gradients (thought this ride was meant to be easier than the mille cymru?).

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #314 on: 23 June, 2016, 12:21:58 pm »
The final version of the event info' and route-sheet can now be downloaded at: https://millepenninesaudax.com/event-information/

All entrants will be e-mailed with their own version over the next 48-hours.

Joolz, you can leave a bag with me at the start.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

simonp

« Reply #315 on: 23 June, 2016, 12:40:41 pm »
\o/

* looks at long range forecast *

« Reply #316 on: 23 June, 2016, 12:59:15 pm »
Hello Andy,

Thank you,

Joolz

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #317 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:06:49 pm »
I added the last leg onto the post with my gps files upthread.

As always, if you die of lostness, then that's a great shame, as I will also have died of lostness.

Was planning to go to the LBS this evening, but weather means no trains, no buses and if you think I am riding my bike in it, then you can feck right off!  Need to pick up the new pedals, a right-way-around side loading bottle cage for my seat tube and new bar tape.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #318 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:14:23 pm »
I've decided to ride with titanium plushness rather than carbon bling. Not ridden that bike in anger since the Scottish 1300k. Some fettling is in order. Particularly as I've been using it on the Kickr a lot, it really needs new bar tape!

I'm unconvinced about relying on the Edge 1000 for navigating round such an event, they really have broken navigation compared to the Etrex devices, so I'm bringing both. I have a mount which takes both a GoPro and the Edge now, so I might even be able to record some terrifying video of descending Hardknott in the wet.

« Reply #319 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:14:09 pm »
I'll most certainly be on my Titanium Plushness rather than my carbon bling! Full mudguards up north seems like a good idea to me! RH ergo lever on its way back from a full service with all springs replaced ;-D
New chain, cassette, bar tape and brake blocks arrived through the letter box earlier this week - to fit.
Undecided on the saddlebag - 'Ol Faithful (Barley + Bagman), Ortlieb L Saddleback, or new Apidura Dry 14L... The latter of which bought for the upcoming Douze Cents 1200.
Special thanks to Marcus for the GPX tracks - Ace!!

« Reply #320 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:31:48 pm »
Bar tape? After owning my ridgeback mercury for three audax years, the tape is showing a little wear and tear, but then again I did just buy some mitts at the Decathlon grand opening last week. I'm more concerned about my weight + bike weight + unnecessary baggage weight + fewer audax kms this year than me bar tape. Having said that, I've had three different sets of bar tape sitting on a shelf for a few years!

« Reply #321 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:38:21 pm »
STILL waiting on a rear hub for the new bike so it's touch and go at the moment.

Not sure I'm stupid enough to use a lumpy 1000k audax as a shakedown ride for a whole new machine.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #322 on: 24 June, 2016, 02:08:29 pm »
email!

Dear rider,

Please find attached the final event info' and route-sheet for the forthcoming Mille Pennines 1000, due to be held over the weekend of 01 - 04 July 2016.

I now look forward to seeing you on the day and do hope you enjoy the randonnee.

Excellent.  I need something to cheer me up on the 24th of June, thanks Andy

« Reply #323 on: 24 June, 2016, 02:44:25 pm »
Can anyone outside the m25 confirm the rumour we will need passports?

« Reply #324 on: 24 June, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »
Domane out of the shop and appropriately fettled. Feels good to go. Really looking forward to this now.

Marcus - I think we all owe you an ice cream.