Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3887902 times)

Maladict

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1150 on: 29 July, 2008, 08:51:39 pm »
Commute.  Ride home via two supermarket recycling centres to attempt to deposit a pannier-load of cardboard without any luck.

Could just chuck it in the green wheelie bin but that somehow seems wrong.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #1151 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:36:12 pm »
A DIY 200 to keep my RRTY hopes alive.

If you are recovering from a knee injury - try a ride like th

217km and just 770m of climbing  :thumbsup:. Flat as.

Probably best not to do it with a permanent headwind (cross headwind on the way out, then a cruel shift in the wind to a cross headwind on the return) unless you have a yACF forumite's wheel to follow. Luckily I did - thanks again Fidgetbuzz - you made a tough day easier for me to manage.

Knee is OK(ish) - sore and in a bandage now - but not that bad considering. Off to Orthopedics soon.

Well done, but was that a terribly good idea ??

« Reply #1152 on: 29 July, 2008, 09:51:57 pm »
50 tempo miles yesterday on my own and in the sun; after several lovely rides in the Lake District it was difficult to be back in Notts! A further 10 Mi to B&Q before oiling the decking in the garden.

Tonight, chaingang: 25 Mi with the gang plus 12 Mi commute at 22.9 Mi/h average. I was dropped by the fast group but felt comfortable with the second group which collected me in the no man's land. Really enjoyed that and I hope that it will help with my TTing.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1153 on: 29 July, 2008, 10:20:42 pm »
I did 1 yard forwards and 1 yard backwards on a pedal car at Easton Farm Park.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1154 on: 30 July, 2008, 06:46:47 pm »
Went out today with my local  mid week CTC Posse.  Against my better judgement when we split up after elevenses I went with the 'A' group.

I'm pleased to announce that today, for the first time ever I did over 100K.  I know it's nowt to the YACF ubermensch but I'm pleased I did it.  Next stop a proper century, I hope.

In the meantime,  if anyone needs a John Wayne impersonator.....

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1155 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:01:31 pm »
Another gentle ride around the White Peak with my son today.
92km total from Sheffield to Ringinglow, Calver, Ashford in the Water, Sheldon, Monyash, Youlegreave, Two Dales and back along Beeley Moor, Wigley Moor, Owler Bar and Fox House including climbs up Mayfield Valley (1:6), Sheldon (1:5) and TwoDales (1:5). 1450m of climbing at a nice and gentle 20kph average.
We stopped for a snack at the excellent Old Smithy in Monyash (best milkshakes and butties in the whole White Peak!) where we bumped into a pile of cyclists on the tail end of the midweek White Peak Audax on its way back to Marple.
Weather was superb - only a little niggling headwind on the outbound leg which, of course, dropped to nothing on the way back!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1156 on: 30 July, 2008, 08:28:04 pm »
A gentle sea-front and villages 23 miles this evening. No swim because the sea was still about a mile away from the beach. Lovely weather and not too much in the way of motons. Lots of people barbecueing stuff - very toothsome!

This leaves me 40 miles to do tomorrow to reach 600 for the month - if I can be arsed.

Oh, and as I was riding through Wakering for the first time, a very attractive young lady standing on a balcony blew a kiss to me. I, being a gentleman, returned the compliment.  :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1157 on: 30 July, 2008, 09:47:36 pm »
Went to Sizewell Beach and did a bit of dune riding.
Mmmm...radiation.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1158 on: 31 July, 2008, 06:58:33 am »
Went to Sizewell Beach and did a bit of dune riding.
Mmmm...radiation.

Topping up after Dunwich ?  ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1159 on: 31 July, 2008, 07:27:02 am »
50 yards :( then I realised the faerie had struck, by the time I realised that it was the much patched tube that had failed I'd run out of time. Shame because that would have given me 600 miles for the month

« Reply #1160 on: 31 July, 2008, 07:32:10 am »
Just 16 km in 48 mins, partly on the road that Vincent Motorcycles used to test all new machines before delivery.

« Reply #1161 on: 31 July, 2008, 05:43:45 pm »
A lovely long loop to get over the 9000 mile hump.   ;D

Too my utter shame I was overtaken by an electrissy bike but in my defence I was 99 miles in, climbing, at 13 mph, and into a headwind.

Maladict

« Reply #1162 on: 31 July, 2008, 05:49:35 pm »
Cycled to work, and to the pub at lunchtime for Thai food.  The consumption of a GCC and a prik didn't seem to stop me getting to about 27-28mph on the way back to work.  My colleagues drove and I was a little slower getting there (set off later and with a headwind) and beat them back comfortably (set off at the same time, with a tail wind).

« Reply #1163 on: 31 July, 2008, 08:09:54 pm »
Mal: The Wrestlers?

Commute in and out, plus a trip to the park which guaranteed I beat last year's July kilometerage and therefore a new monthly record of ... 1106.22km (687.37miles).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1164 on: 31 July, 2008, 08:45:58 pm »
Lancaster - Bolton-Le-Sands - Kirkby Londsdale - Caton - Lancaster as part of the club's Thursday chain gang. Only four of us tonight. It was very warm out there and humid. Legs felt like jelly. We hit 30mph+ on the flat in places when the chain gang was going well. Ouch.

Maladict

« Reply #1165 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:09:07 pm »
Mal: The Wrestlers?

Yep.  Been a regular customer since 1994.

Our arch enemies from the cross the road were taking up half the pub too.  ;D

Maladict

« Reply #1166 on: 31 July, 2008, 09:10:51 pm »
I also took a pannier load of cans and bottles to the recycling centre at the Newmarket Road Tesco, on the way home from work.

« Reply #1167 on: 31 July, 2008, 10:36:22 pm »
24 miles this evening. Out from Chorlton Water Park through Sale and past the Man Utd training ground at Carrington to a pub near Dunham Massey (Axe and Cleaver, I think- a Chef and Brewer but with good beer). After trying a couple of them we twiddled back past the big houses in Bowdon, through Wythenshawe to the Water Park.
No rain, which was a surprise. I took all the waterproofs but need didn't any of them. Result  :thumbsup:
Fingers crossed for the w/e.

« Reply #1168 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:38:43 pm »
Having missed the club TT this week I went out early this morning for a 37-38 Mi ride on my fixed TT bike. It was hard work in the wind. The route had three sections: 2/5 on the flat where I worked hard on the tri bars; 2/5 undulating and lumpy where I suffered a bit on my 79'' gear but forced myself to work well either on the bars or en danseuse; and the last section was fast on the bars again. I averaged slightly above 21 Mi/h, which was not too bad though. Good work out.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1169 on: 01 August, 2008, 02:08:52 pm »
30km commute home this morning, from Portbury Dock to NE Bristol.

Picture taken at Bristol Harbourside.

« Reply #1170 on: 02 August, 2008, 08:45:05 pm »
1 mile each way down to coniston for our first ride of the holiday a pie and some pints.  Lovely.

« Reply #1171 on: 02 August, 2008, 09:41:36 pm »
Yes, about 8 miles on the tandem.  Did a bit of rough stuff and was rewarded with a visit from the Pinch-P*n*t*r* Faeries which will teach me to try it on skinny Conti Sport Contacts and not enough air.  Grrr (only self to blame...).

Nearly dark when we got back so it was a good job I'd fettled the lighting the other day.

Still, it helped burn off the mother-of-all-curry's that I had in Brick Lane this afternoon. :thumbsup:

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #1172 on: 02 August, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »
Today, I did my my longest ride since November 2006 (and that was on a tandem) - 31 miles with the club on my much neglected solo  ;D.  Very pleased with myself, but also wish I could do more.

« Reply #1173 on: 02 August, 2008, 09:58:53 pm »
Lovely family ride from Lancaster to the top of Littledale for a picnic and back.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1174 on: 03 August, 2008, 01:22:35 pm »
A quite mundane ride through the scruffy bits of Saarfend. I just wanted a half-hour pootle in order to free up the joints and it worked a bit, but has left me monumentally depressed about how awful lots of this town is.

The tide is high after lunch. A swimble beckons, I fear. I may be some time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.