Author Topic: remote computer file sharing software alternative to logmein  (Read 1849 times)

remote computer file sharing software alternative to logmein
« on: 10 October, 2019, 05:21:34 pm »
I have had logmein for a while but it is very expensive.  i access my system about 1-2 per week to look at files and access records.  This may increase slightly in the next few months.  I do not need cloud storage or passwords. 

I do want something secure and if you say that Logmein is the very best available I will pay.

i have seen Splashtop which seems to do the access i want at a much cheaper price.  Is it safe  and usable?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: remote computer file sharing software alternative to logmein
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2019, 05:54:19 pm »
Remote Desktop? Already built into Windows (at least in the Pro versions), so no extra cost.
You will probably need to setup port forwarding in your router, or use a VPN.

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2019, 06:15:21 pm »
Chrome remote desktop?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2019, 07:08:39 pm »
Teamviewer, and Remote Desktop used here.
It is simpler than it looks.

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:51:10 pm »
You don't say what operating system you use. But if it's Windows, remote desktop is an option. But please, don't port forward it directly to the internet.
You need a router/modem/firewall that will allow you to tunnel safely into your home network and remote into your desktop as if you are on the same network.

One of these would do the trick: https://store.netgate.com/pfSense/SG-1100.aspx

I'm afraid there's some upfront cost involved - and you would need to put your existing ISP hub/router into modem mode as it will sit on the internet side of your the firewall. Then you will need a switch and a Wireless Access Point.
There are tutorials and guides to help you set it up, but to be quite honest, you will need either a lot of patience or some help.

That said, once it is setup, it will be as reliable as your internet connection and more secure than any after market router you can buy in PC World.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:53:51 pm »
If you just need to access files, why use a remote desktop technology?  Shirley there's an SFTP (or similar) server for Windows?

Afasoas

« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2019, 10:03:25 pm »
If you just need to access files, why use a remote desktop technology?  Shirley there's an SFTP (or similar) server for Windows?

Or that.
Or put them on the cloud?
Or sync the files between devices using syncthing or similar.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2019, 10:15:47 pm »
Indeed, put them in the cloud unless there's a specific reason not too, or pony up the cash for an established solution. Opening up ports, setting up VPNs is complicated, and it's likely you'll leave the sort of hole that the average internet miscreant can drive a virtual tank through.

« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2019, 07:08:37 am »
I probably did not explain myself well. I want to essentially tele-commute and use my office computer as if I was sat at it from either my iPhone, windows laptop or Mac desktop.
This was what LogMeIn offered. I am happy to pay as it is a business expense but LogMeIn seems very expensive.
TeamViewer is slightly cheaper but not much. Remote Desktop is windows only.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2019, 07:41:14 am »
You can control a screen through Messages*. The difficulty I’d getting the remote machine to allow the access.

I used to be able to do it with the previous way, I’ve never tried or had to, with messages.

* the app that does SMS
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:36:02 am »
The problem is that if you can control a computer, someone else can unless everything is locked down. All OS have remote desktops built-in (MacOS does too, it's called Desktop Sharing), but they need to circumvent routers etc. Teamviewer, LogMeIn etc. simply handle that via their own protocols and you're paying for the ease and peace-of-mind.

It seems to be a bit of dying art these days, most people just stick their stuff on the cloud and sync between devices (this has the benefit of keeping multiple copies as a redundancy).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:50:28 am »

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:32:22 am »
Vnc?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.