Author Topic: The Millar blog on crashes.  (Read 1223 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
The Millar blog on crashes.
« on: 03 September, 2009, 01:12:08 pm »
The Insider's Guide To Crashes | Cyclingnews.com

If you have ever wondered just what it is like..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: The Millar blog on crashes.
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2009, 01:41:43 pm »
I can particularly identify with his description of grinding, clattering bicycle sounds.

When I had my biggest crash, I was leading the club run at 25mph on the flat with the wind at our backs. Then I was catapulted over the bars and as I tumbled and slid along the road, I could clearly hear the sounds of my bike tumbling and clattering against the road.

As I lay still, quite well aware I was seriously hurt, my first thought was "that sounded exactly the same as cycling crashes on TV"

That was a Number 1 - front wheel pringled for absolutely no reason.

My other, a Number 2, when I hit some sand on a moderately fast descent gave me the feeling of crushing inevitability that Miller describes. I had nearly lost the bike, but managed to correct, however this left me on a collision course with the grass verge. I didn't have time to reach for the brakes, but had time to realise that I was going to crash and have a period of no thought, just the verge getting closer and closer, before I hit it.

Luckily that only resulted in a scraped elbow and scratched shifter.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »
The crash is on youtube if you want to see what he's describing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nJVyf8qMfKU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nJVyf8qMfKU&rel=1</a>

It starts at about 3:20

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
The thing you always carry with you from other people's crashes is that sound of the bike crashing into the road.

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2009, 04:23:08 pm »
The sound can be reproduced by dragging a coke can on the road - Sean Kelly used to do this occasionally just to provide some light relief in races.

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2009, 07:51:22 pm »
I didn't realize he could write so well.  I look forward to the post-career Millar autobiography.