Author Topic: A Prayer for Owen Meany  (Read 1325 times)

clarion

• Tyke
A Prayer for Owen Meany
« on: 23 January, 2009, 03:48:42 pm »
I've just finished listening to this on radio 4.  It was adapted to take the place of the afternoon play for a week.  Five instalments of 45 minutes - over three and a half hours of airtime to tell the story.

Now I haven't read the book, though I have enjoyed Irving in the past (I'm not great with modern US novels - Updike put me off).  I've read Cider House Rules and Garp, and I was lucky enough to see the mad film adaptation of Hotel New Hampshire with Nastassia Kinski as a bear (well, sort of - like most of Iriving, it'd take a long time to explain).

I've listened through the plays, albeit at work, so subject to the occasional interruption, and I confess I didn't understand.

I knew I liked it.  It was well dramatised and acted.  And I knew it was a complex story.  But the last half hour left me resolved that I'm going to have to get the book if I'm to have a clue at all. :-\
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A Prayer for Owen Meany
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2009, 03:49:59 pm »
What did you not understand?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2009, 03:54:11 pm »
do you want to borrow the book?  I loved it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2009, 03:58:33 pm »
It seemed that in the last episode the spiritual storylines sort of exploded across the narrative (if you'll pardon the verb).  Yes, I would like to borrow it if you don't mind, that'd be cool.

I think I enjoyed it.  I think Irving takes apart some complex issues within it, but I'd like to be sure.

Reading the Wikipedia entry about it, I think there were a few important bits that were missed out, but I'd like to know...
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »
PM me your address then, chap.

« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2009, 09:45:22 pm »
I love John Irving's novels, most of them. A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of the best, along with the World According to Garp, Cider House Rules and Hotel New Hampshire.

I cried so much over Owen Meany that I had to stop for a few months at one point and come back to it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2009, 09:18:07 pm »
PM me your address then, chap.

Thank you.  Received this morning. :)
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2009, 09:29:18 pm »
I loved Owen Meany.  It was complex and beautiful, thoughtful and strange.

Definitely the best  Irving I've ever read.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk