Author Topic: The Grow Your Own thread for random stuff that doesn't need it's own thread  (Read 1362 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Time we had one of these I think.

I've been meaning to buy an ivy, for the wildlife value, one of those that's trapped in the mature phase, Hedera arborescens, but blow me, £35 for a 3L pot?!!  :o
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Time we had one of these I think.

I've been meaning to buy an ivy, for the wildlife value, one of those that's trapped in the mature phase, Hedera arborescens, but blow me, £35 for a 3L pot?!!  :o

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arborescens-Non-Climbing-Green-White-Thompson-Morgan/dp/B0BMB8679B
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
ooh thanks :)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Some of the bulbs I planted last month are coming up already. It's not time yet! Stupid upside down weather... They really all gonna get frosted next weekend.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
What's going on with my ceanothus (Californian lilac)?

This one is about 4 feet tall, was here when we moved in in 2021 and is looking decidedly ded, apart from that single green branch you can see there. This bush is against a west facing fence.
PXL_20240222_114441119 by The Pingus, on Flickr

On the other side of the garden (so east facing) this is a bush which I planted in 2022 (I think) so it's smaller. More of it is green but you can see some of it is dead.
PXL_20240222_114519531 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I don't understand why. It's not been particularly cold for here, I would say. There's never been weedkiller used anywhere near the top most pic. I had one of these bushes in our north facing postage stamp of a garden at the previous place for years and it was fine.
I'm guessing the top one is going to be a dead loss and I might as well dig it up?

Any wisdom?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Along with some seed tatties I have chitting on the living room windowsill awaiting planting, I now have a couple of blackcurrant bush cuttings I'll get planted in large containers!  ;D