Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 253193 times)

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #250 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:31:45 pm »
I've hardly been down the plot this winter, apart from a session shoveling a whopping great pile of manure and pruning the trees. Today was a good spring day. I moved my bean supports, dug up some leeks, moved some others, dug trenches for the potatoes (I'll wait a couple of weeks before I put them in though), planted some broad beans.

It was warm enough to take a kip on the grass afterwards too.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #251 on: 14 March, 2010, 04:56:58 pm »
Parsnips are in.

Too early? Too cold? Time will tell.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #252 on: 14 March, 2010, 08:41:45 pm »
Weeded the Strawberry bed.

Thought about next extension to the tree house.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #253 on: 14 March, 2010, 08:54:33 pm »
spuds are chitting in the kitchen.  I'll plant them and the garlic in a couple of weeks, I recon.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #254 on: 15 March, 2010, 03:31:34 pm »
Went to plot Saturday.
Got depressed looking at massive amount of work to do.
Weeded one strawberry bed
Dug over one medium bed.
Pottered around already planted garlic bed

Felt a lot better - more inspired now.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #255 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:38:51 pm »
Out planting again today:

More carrots & beetroot, mange tout peas, radishes, turnips, cabbage on the allotment.

Courgettes, cucumber and Butternut squash in the greenhouse.

In the garden at home, in raised beds: new potatoes, carrots, beetroot, spring onions and salad leaves.

Took down a laurel bush and shredded it, and started coppicing the hazel.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #256 on: 21 March, 2010, 10:43:04 pm »
Well, we've ordered all kinds of local trees, shrubs and other plants... from Sugar Maples and Smoothbark Hickory to Red Mullberries. They won't be arriving until the start of May. In the meantime, we've got loads of seeds sprouting inside the house (in the bathroom, to be exact!).

I would have been out forking the veg patch today, but it snowed. It won't settle but the weeding will have to wait until next week. More seeds being planted this week, mainly the squashes and melons of various kinds.

« Reply #257 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
Planting is in full swing now. Over the last 4 days I have planted early & 2nd early potatoes, more carrots, lettuce, parsnips, cabbage, cauli, broccoli, rocket and parsley. In the greenhouse, more tomatoes, peppers, runner beans, baby sweetcorn. Also Geraniums, bizzie lizzies, begonias, pansies.

Potted up tomatoes and peppers from first sowing.

Emerging in the greenhouse are courgettes, aubergines, cucumbers, sprouts, squashes.

Seeds planted outside a few weeks ago and already up are carrots, broad beans, turnip, radishes and red beet. Onion sets and shallots are also starting to shoot.

First pickings of rhubarb should be next week, and asparagus on my neighbour's allotment is just starting to shoot - mine is usually 2 weeks later.  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #258 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:25:03 pm »
With a fair bit of help from a friend who lives in Lincolnshire and is therefore experienced in the mysterious ways of Green Stuff, we murdered the overgrown hedge (which I'm informed is made of privet) in our front garden / student waste disposal facility.  The gate now opens wide enough for a bike with two fully loaded panniers to fit through, and there's a suspicious amount of daylight working its way to the front room.  :thumbsup:

I remain wholly unconvinced by this 'gardening' lark, though.  Even with power tools (something for which I'm known to have a fair bit of enthusiasm) it's messy and hard work.  If I wanted to get covered in cuts and scratches, and have my hair full of bits of twig, I'd fall off my bike or something!

I am convinced that Birmingham City Council are taking the piss by expecting us to put hedge clippings in their nanometre-thin pre-perforated green waste bags.

« Reply #259 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:27:19 pm »
Lopped a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana down a bit, hoed some soil. Turned over the compost bins.

Chris S

« Reply #260 on: 04 April, 2010, 06:50:06 pm »
Checked on the worms. I moved them into the boiler house a few weeks ago when it was -15c in (or around) the garden shed, where I had put them after the rat infestation.

Chuffin 'eck they've been busy - there are millions of the buggers, and all the unrotted stuff that was in the bin has just gone. So stirred up the top layers a bit and added the contents of the compost caddies in the kitchen, along with a few handfuls of shredded newspaper.

Looks like we should have our first batch of compost in a few weeks time  :thumbsup:.

spindrift

« Reply #261 on: 05 April, 2010, 01:47:55 pm »
Five trellises fixed to a south-facing wall, four clematis, three honeysuckles and the evergreen climbing hydreanga to be planted. Gave the lawns the first cut of the year and mixed a heap of grass cuttings with Starbuck's coffee grounds, the compost heap is a writhing mass of worms now it's warmed up a bit.

« Reply #262 on: 06 April, 2010, 10:06:53 pm »
have just mowed the lawn for the first time :)

garlic is up and looking very perky
early spuds have been in for a while but arent showing yet, main crop will go in at the weekend
beans & peas are in, nothing above ground yet
chard & carrots are in, no sign of life yet
first line of lettuce are up and need thinning
raspberries, red & black currants and blueberries are growing nicely
lots of buds on apples, plums and pears
have thinned the beech hedge a bit too, and pruned anything that looked like it needed it
:)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #263 on: 12 April, 2010, 01:12:01 pm »
Thought about mowing the lawn and pruning the rose at the front, but didn't get around to either of those.  Butterfly cut back a couple of the bushes to get the washing line up.

I planted the spuds.  I didn't want to take up more than one of the raised beds, so I dug out an ad hoc bed at the bottom of the garden for another 12.  I expect it'll get overrun with weeds pretty quickly, and my back's aching today, but I'm glad I just got stuck in and did it :)
Getting there...

« Reply #264 on: 15 April, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »
Plum tree is absolutely full of blossom.  :D

Currant bushes also, but not as much as last year.

Had 2 pickings of rhubarb so far.  :thumbsup:

'Sparrow grass' is just starting to poke through the ground.

« Reply #265 on: 18 April, 2010, 01:51:51 am »
Today I has put up scarecrows. -  proper scaredycrows, and lots of video tape tied to poles - yesterday I went to open the greenhouses on the allotment and there were 4 pheasants eating my beans and peas. one was even inside the netting I had used to cover them.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #266 on: 20 April, 2010, 08:28:48 pm »
Cleared the square-foot bed (4x8) and found that the damn salad potatoes just won't die.  Replanted the happiest of them in a better place and spacing, and planted out some bean and squish seeds.  The cat will use the rest as an epic loo until I get it planted up...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #267 on: 21 April, 2010, 11:13:53 pm »
Yesterday my Chirstmas pressie from Mrs. Wow's sister arrived: a small garden pack from Rocket Gardens - Spring Small Vegetable Garden - with free mini starter garden - Vegetable gardens Spring 2010 . Pretty well everything is planted now, thanks to Dez. I'm concerned that the runner & french beans and the courgettes might be killed by frost. I reckon it's a fortnight too early for delicate plants to go out.

If all goes well, we are going to have too many lettuces. I'm not that fussed by salads. At the moment, though,we are having excellent purple sprouting broccoli.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Si

« Reply #268 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:07:46 am »
all me spuds are in
the first parsnip, sprout and pea seedlings have stuck their heads above ground
and the battle against the weeds has escalated to full-on conflict

woo-hoo spring has sprung!

« Reply #269 on: 26 April, 2010, 11:13:19 am »
Pollarded a Eucalyptus tree that was somewhat taller than the house, yesterday. Borrowed climbing harness to go near the top, as space below was restricted and it had to be taken down in stages.

Trunk was nearly a foot diameter where I finally cut it. Most of it is now cut into logs. A 'tonne Jewsons bag' has been used to take the shreddings to the allotment (2 trips with the bike trailer) where it will be used to mulch the vegetables when there is a bit more moisture in the ground.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #270 on: 28 April, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »
Bored of being ill.

I sowed some cucumber, runner beans, parsnip and carrots.  Planted out shallots, red onions, lettuce (aka slug food), peas and celery. 

Elsewhere, I put some lavender next to the front path.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #271 on: 29 April, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »
Another day off work.

Superstoker & I set up the canes for the peas and the runner beans (not yet planted).  Planted tomato, spring onion & radishes in pots.

Oh - and labelled everything from yesterday & today (that I could remember :-[ )
Getting there...

« Reply #272 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:08:04 pm »
Another day off work.

Superstoker & I set up the canes for the peas and the runner beans (not yet planted).  Planted tomato, spring onion & radishes in pots.

Oh - and labelled everything from yesterday & today (that I could remember :-[ )
Woohoo! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #273 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:33:41 am »
It almost looks like a proper plot now :)
Getting there...

« Reply #274 on: 01 May, 2010, 05:39:45 pm »
Planted more: carrot, lettuce, french bean, spring onion & spinach seed.

Planted out: leeks, onions, cauli, lettuce.

Potted on: courgettes, tomato, aubergine, peppers, pumkins.

Cut grass paths

Weeded.  >:(

Picked Sparrow-grass for tea.  :D