Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249566 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #725 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:22:36 pm »
I bet your broad beans are vastly more tasty than the supermarket ones. I started picking mine about ten days ago and have had them every meal since, they are one of my favourite dishes. They are one of those crops which always do well on the allotment, regardless of the weather.

« Reply #726 on: 22 July, 2015, 10:59:31 pm »
We've eaten a couple of home-grown cucumbers so far, & more will be ready soon. Garlic, onions, spring onions, spinach, chard, kabu, daikon, tayberries (from the empty plot next door) & raspberries all eaten so far, & first leeks ready. Maize, cabbages, french beans & runner beans coming along nicely.

Birds have stripped one blackcurrant bush & most of the redcurrants, though.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #727 on: 16 August, 2015, 07:08:23 pm »
Beans, beans and more beans, love `em.

Blackberries will be picked shortly, I'll have a bumper crop and I netted them this year.

Carrots are great, and the pak choi from my greenhouse has been great. I eat really well at this time of year. 

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #728 on: 20 August, 2015, 04:17:12 pm »
Tree golf ball sized potatoes from one potato from aldi.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #729 on: 20 August, 2015, 11:10:28 pm »
French beans, potatoes, cabbages, chillies & leeks eaten, & more ready to eat. Chilli is strong & delicious. First runner beans ready. Steady flow of cucumbers. Sweetcorn looking good, but won't be ready for a while. Lots of chard.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #730 on: 07 October, 2015, 07:09:16 am »
Harvested /  brought in to storage the winter squash.

From 2 plants, 9 Red Kuri
From 2 plants, 10 Kabocha
From 3 plants, over two dozen Delicata.

I think we will be eating squash every night until March.

This was also the year for cantaloupe.  On a whim, bought a 12" peat saucer with melon starts in it at the farmers' market.  Cut holes in the bottom to  give the roots a way to escape.  Probably 20 two-person sized melons.

« Reply #731 on: 19 October, 2015, 10:11:19 am »
Used one of 6 celery plants for my Ragu sauce for Saturdays spag. bol.
They're small but full of flavour.
They were bought just for fun but I might grow them next year.
A veg we use every week.
Compost heap put to bed for the winter. It's a new build with pressure treated wood. 1.8m X 1.4m approx. I've easily got a cubed meter of compost going on. Carpet on top now and with my new Bosch shredder I've taken the garden apart 😂.
Alot of urine has gone into it.
I've six raised beds to top up. Mostly 12' by 6'.

« Reply #732 on: 20 October, 2015, 02:37:51 pm »
Just ate some home-grown sweetcorn. Ate home-grown Japanese cabbage, onions & garlic last night.

Just tidying things up for winter, picking the last sweetcorn & cabbages, & leeks (planted too many!), & kabu (Japanese radishy-flavoured but bigger & white vegetable). Celery is going strong, providing plenty of leaves for flavouring soups, etc.

Time to think about planting garlic.

« Reply #733 on: 21 October, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »
Rescued a couple of windfall apples before the wildlife made inroads, eaten one absolutely brilliant. Adams Pearmain if anyone is interested, ripens Novemberish with a flavour you wouldn't believe.
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #734 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:14:12 pm »
Late season, tree-ripened apples are indeed wonderful. I really love November Bramleys if they can stay up that long.

« Reply #735 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:33:18 pm »
We don't have an apple tree but we're eating various allotment apples, for some of which we traded excess vegetables. At least six different varieties, all good, all different. There are still some unpicked, which I think we can have a few of. :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #736 on: 09 November, 2015, 11:21:03 pm »
started the winterisation on Sunday, tender cuttings etc into the greenhouse, one of the display benches and the less hardy bonsai followed.

The remaining bonsai or future bonsai will follow as they drop their leaves.

Leeks earthed up, chard still cropping surprisingly well, cima di rapa looking ready to start picking.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #737 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:38:33 am »
We're also still getting plenty of chard.

« Reply #738 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »
Late season, tree-ripened apples are indeed wonderful. I really love November Bramleys if they can stay up that long.

our little Bramley has held its fruit (all 16 of them about 10lb weight not bad for a 5-7 year old tree) until yesterday when a few fell off, so given high winds I picked the rest. The flavour is absolutely marvellous, crisp, sharp  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As for what doing, as we`re partly bordered by woods and larch trees it`s sweeping / raking / blowing up leaves, leaves, leaves, more leaves each day  ::-) don`t know whether it`s best do a bit each day or wait until whole lot off !! So far about 15 large barrow loads but very good leaf mould in 2016  ;D ;D .

Planted out 50 garlic a week ago and will space out purple broccoli (what`s left after caterpillars...) later this week
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #739 on: 10 November, 2015, 12:38:40 pm »
Ooohhh, we planted out 50 garlic about a month ago! Good luck to us both then!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #740 on: 15 November, 2015, 08:57:13 pm »
Put a layer of partly broken down compost on a vacant bed in the hope it'll be in the soil when I plant.

spindrift

« Reply #741 on: 15 November, 2015, 09:17:57 pm »
we haven't had a frost yet, the nasturtiums are going crazy ape and trying to escape from the garden. Mahonia's in flower and there are bees or wasps or something buzzing round. Crazy.

« Reply #742 on: 20 November, 2015, 09:06:15 am »
Ooohhh, we planted out 50 garlic about a month ago! Good luck to us both then!

garlic now popping up ---as is a MOLE in the veg plot, but s/he will soon encounter a tunnel trap :demon: and will be an ex mole ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

ElyDave

« Reply #743 on: 21 November, 2015, 01:31:16 pm »
My autumn garlic has not done well.  :(

Winter broadbeans planted in October now through the soil and doing well, leeks and hamburg parsley also doing well and cropping now.  Cima-di-rapa ready in a week or so I think.

Now the trees have lost their leaves, I can get the rest of the bonsai in the greenhouse for the winter.

Uncharacteristically I'm home during the week so may get a chance to do it in bits and pieces.

ElyDave

« Reply #744 on: 10 December, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »
Still cropping chard amazingly.  Cima-di-rapa coming on well as well.

Starting to harvest the smaller leeks now as well and the thinning of the Hamburg parsley continues.

Winter broadbeans well established.

As it's been bonkers warm down here in Fenland, I've noticed one asparagus crown pushing up a new shoot and a fresh green bud on a rhubarb. Hope they don't get hammered by later frosts

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #745 on: 10 December, 2015, 05:34:58 pm »
We are eating the last of our tomatoes; well it's only a fortnight to Christmas Eve...

spindrift

« Reply #746 on: 11 December, 2015, 12:04:51 am »
Got a hollyhock side shoot in flower. Freaky.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #747 on: 24 December, 2015, 02:00:59 pm »
We are eating the last of our tomatoes; well it's only a fortnight to Christmas Eve...

We still have a few tomatoes ripening.

It is Christmas Eve...

« Reply #748 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:32:48 pm »
After WEEKS chasing mole tunnels (and digging up significant amounts grass and veg plot) I saw mole digging his way around a trap a week ago and tried to obliterate it with a spade  :demon:

Don`t think I got it though---however did some more reading up on `art of mole trapping` to discover best way forwards. So armed with knowledge about main tunnels , feeding tunnels etc had a systematic approach and located two main tunnels and set 4 traps

AND caught the blighter  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No more mole to destroy my veg patch

ElyDave

« Reply #749 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:13:17 am »
rats in the compost heap  >:(

I blame next door deconstructing some sheds that used to house chickens and putting up new sheds.  I think they've just relocated.