Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249447 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #125 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »
Cool.  Raised beds are definitely part of our plan for next year.

I've found my gardening books this evening, including the indispensable and very informative (even for numpties like me) Organic Garden Book, by Geoff Hamilton. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #126 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:48:14 pm »
I don't know if ours counts as organic.

Eat lead Blue Nasty, slugs!   :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #127 on: 18 May, 2009, 09:11:40 am »
Well, it gives lots of good general gardening advice - you don't have to be organic (completely).  Geoff Hamilton was a luv.
Getting there...

Si

« Reply #128 on: 18 May, 2009, 10:00:22 am »
Yesterday I chased people of the plot.  Bloody open days.  The notice saying "Please keep of the plots" seems to be interpreted as "Please march all over the plots and pull up what you like".  >:(

Then I got very wet.

Then I patted a retired greyhound and watched chicken poop roulette.

Then I put some peas in and put some more paths in.....finally found a use for the Mail on Sunday.

« Reply #129 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:30:23 am »
... what, you ran out of loo paper?  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #130 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:32:29 am »
You touched the MoS?

Now wash your hands.

And again...
Getting there...

Si

« Reply #131 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:55:02 am »
It is now buried under several inches of mulch.

In my defence: I don't buy it (I've asked  relations to keep newspapers for me as I'm using them as the base layer for my paths) and the only pages I look at are the crosswords and the sport (believe it or not it is generally quite positive on cycling).  Although sometimes I take a sneaky look at the letters just for entertainment value, but these aren't as good as they used to be as the paper seems to be telling people exactly what to write about these days.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #132 on: 24 May, 2009, 09:18:37 pm »
Found out what to do when invaded by bees.

The sky went loud, very loud. Allotmenteers scuttled for cover, and a swift trip home to google "swarming bees" ensued.

Chappie came out later and collected them, declaring it to be "only a small swarm" (about 2,000 bees).

Fascinating.

« Reply #133 on: 30 May, 2009, 08:42:40 pm »
I discovered my allotment, and recreated the path between it and the derelict one.  ::-) The grass was over a metre high.  Serves me right for not going there for 2 weeks of glorious growing weather, but I had bikes to fix!
Did lots of chopping down and a little digging.  Lots of digging needed tomorrow, and also planting my leeks (from their pots).  I need to stop planting things in pots at home (got french beans and broccoli almost ready, and lettuce and spinnach not too far behind) - I can't keep up with the need for space to pot them out!

I have planking and framing left over from destroying my old shed.  Is it worth creating beds? I can't really see the point, but then, I've only just started allotmenting this year - last time I was on an allotment before that was when my dad had one 15 years ago.

« Reply #134 on: 31 May, 2009, 10:04:53 pm »
Did some digging and planted a fair few leeks (over 40).  When I ran out of space, I gave the rest away!  I think I might have sowed too many seeds. :)
Lots more digging needed before I have enough space for my french beans (also in pots). :(

« Reply #135 on: 01 June, 2009, 04:24:45 pm »
We spent the entire weekend dismantling the shed and replacing the rotten bits before weatherproofing all the panels.

Refugee woodlice fleeing the genocide have been trekking into neighbouring gardens, sneaking under border controls in search of a Better Life...
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #136 on: 01 June, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »
Refugee woodlice fleeing the genocide have been trekking into neighbouring gardens, sneaking under border controls in search of a Better Life...
Apparently the grass is greener over there!

Meanwhile, I have irrigation to attend to.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #137 on: 06 June, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »
Butterfly repotted all the windowsill veg & herbs.

We need bigger windowsills now :-\

Looking at the plot, there's stuff coming up, including some that look like rows of things.  I need to get the hoe out to clear the sycamore seeds, or else we'll have a forest.

Foxes don't like shallots.  One was dug up, and bitten, but spat out again. 
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #138 on: 06 June, 2009, 10:31:14 pm »
I've left everything to Dez, who is doing a good, if rather one-sided, job.

Some of the seeds he sowed have failed. The broccoli, on the other hand, germinated magnificently. All the gaps now have broccoli plants in them. I think we will have cornered the broccoli market come April 2010.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #139 on: 06 June, 2009, 10:35:47 pm »
I'll take some off your hands.

I lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrve broccoli... :P
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #140 on: 07 June, 2009, 03:28:42 pm »
I dug a patch about 3 foot by the width of the plot, and planted 2 rows of french beans.  And gave away the rest of the pot of beans, cos I didn't have the space or energy to plant out the rest.  I only have another 3 rows worth in my cold frame that are ready to plant out (plus broccoli, lettuce and spinnach that aren't quite there yet)!  ::-)  It's all growing faster than I can prepare the ground for it.  :-\
More digging needed.  I should have done it in Feb/March, so now it's twice as hard.

I also cut the grass back (again) using my shears, though I have bent the handles by trying to cut broccoli or bussels sprout stems.  Now if I close them too vigourously, I punch one hand with the other.  :-[

Si

« Reply #141 on: 07 June, 2009, 04:28:10 pm »
dare not go near mine at the moment - haven't got a life boat to hand.

courgettes going in when the rain stops. 

my paths are coming along nicely: many layers of newspaper with several inches of wood chippings on top - really are stopping the weeds coming back, 'tis a method that I'm going to stick with from now on: free'n'easy.

I reckon two weeks at most until the first early pots are ready to start eating  ;D

« Reply #142 on: 08 June, 2009, 08:24:28 pm »
Butterfly repotted all the windowsill veg & herbs.

We need bigger windowsills now :-\
+1. I've thinned out the windowsill lettuces. The thinnings made a very nice salad, & Mrs. B was impressed with the flavour, which was nice.

The coriander is looking good, though the parsley is coming along very slowly.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #143 on: 10 June, 2009, 08:58:54 pm »
Picked & eaten the first windowsill coriander. Needed thinning, & waste not want not. As Mrs B said, it smells much nicer than the supermarket stuff.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #144 on: 10 June, 2009, 11:08:56 pm »
I had my first strawberry today (a Cambridge Delight)   :thumbsup:

Nom, nom, nom...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #145 on: 11 June, 2009, 09:34:54 am »
I harvested a fine crop of slugs last night.  ::-) They seem to have eaten all the parsley and radish seedlings. :'(

Got all the netting up over the soft fruit, although I was annoyed to discover that something has snapped one of the two fruit-bearing branches of the raspberry bush, destroying 50% of the crop.  >:(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Si

« Reply #146 on: 11 June, 2009, 01:48:12 pm »

Nom, nom, nom...

I feel like a proud dad, after the strawbs doing nothing at all last year, apart from putting out runners whenever my back was turned, I've got my first little green strawberry budettes.  I'm not expecting to ever get to eat them...that would be too much to hope for, but it's an advancement on last year so I'm happy.

« Reply #147 on: 11 June, 2009, 01:56:31 pm »

Nom, nom, nom...

I feel like a proud dad, after the strawbs doing nothing at all last year, apart from putting out runners whenever my back was turned, I've got my first little green strawberry budettes.  I'm not expecting to ever get to eat them...that would be too much to hope for, but it's an advancement on last year so I'm happy.

Get netting up pronto, or all you'll get is a very fat happy blackbird.

<---- voice of experience.  :-[

Si

« Reply #148 on: 11 June, 2009, 03:34:45 pm »
Netting?  there's no room what with the guard dogs, electric fence, mine field, ground to air missiles and Star Wars SDI system......

having said that, I've a feeling that I've discovered the world's first burrowing magpie  :o

Chris S

« Reply #149 on: 12 June, 2009, 09:28:13 am »
Hurry up and turn red - I want to eat you...  :demon: