Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249381 times)

Flying_Monkey

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #300 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:08:53 am »
More trees in: a black cherry, serviceberry, hackberry and flowering dogwood. But we've had lots of rain (thankfully, as our well was getting low), which means less outdoor activity.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #301 on: 11 June, 2010, 12:54:19 am »
Cleared an area which is shaded and will put some comfrey plants in there to grow rocket fuel.
Planted some pumpkin plants following recommendation from another thread I started.
Planted some squash seeds aswell.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #302 on: 11 June, 2010, 12:55:08 am »
Forgot to add, I have literally, yes at almost 1am, just come back from a slug hunt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #303 on: 11 June, 2010, 08:26:59 pm »
David has just brought in the first ripe strawberry of the season.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D

Chris S

« Reply #304 on: 11 June, 2010, 09:29:10 pm »
David has just brought in the first ripe strawberry of the season.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D

:)

I had the first batch on my cereal during the week. Not that sweet yet - later batches should be better.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #305 on: 12 June, 2010, 11:39:44 am »
We've been fighting the ants for our strawberries. We have so much Bok Choy, we made two enormous jars of Kimchee just from the thinnings... Our corn, beans and squash mounds are doing great. And the tomato plants are getting big already.

A few more trees and shrubs still to go in (including a new white oak seedling we just got given), and then it will be the turn of the woodland flowers. The rest of the remaining turf in between, I will strip off before autumn and cover it. Getting rid of lawn is hard work, but eventually we will have a forest on about a third of our acre.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #306 on: 13 June, 2010, 11:59:21 pm »
This is getting obsessive. Just back from another slug hunt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #307 on: 14 June, 2010, 09:00:58 am »
I emptied out all the old pots that aren't growing anything but weeds, and collected all the stones & crocks.  Should give the slugs & snails fewer laces to hide in amongst the pots.

I sowed some more beetroot, cucumber, spinach and tomatoes - all very late, but trying to make upt for things which haven't been so successful.

And I dug over a patch and cleared it of weeds ready for the pumpkin plants which are going really well so far.

Oh - and planted out the French beans.  I may need to organise more support for them.

Peas, which started off really mimsy, now have pods, the third set of spuds (which I wasn't going to plant out, but Butterfly had more faith in) are coming up well, and I accidentally harvested a single new potato as I was earthing up the second patch.

I hadn't meant to do any gardening yesterday, it just sort of happened...
Getting there...

Si

« Reply #308 on: 14 June, 2010, 09:25:01 am »
earthed up spuds at last (well, FEs anyway) - was harvesting them this time last year !!!!!!!

Thinned and transplanted sprouts and earthed up.  Think I may have grown too many again, but they taste so good.

Had heart attack when I found blight on the toms in hanging baskets.  A closer inspection revealed it to be flecks of compost thrown up by rain splash.  :-[

More carrots and peas in - should still be time for them to grow.

« Reply #309 on: 14 June, 2010, 09:34:36 am »
My earlies got frosted and have been overtaken (by about a foot) by my main crop spuds :)   Did lots of weeding at the weekend, broken up with tieing roses back and admiring my poppies and dahlias.  

« Reply #310 on: 17 June, 2010, 01:27:49 am »
Picked Broad beans:

Shelled and blanched them for freezing:

No, I didn't cook them in a plastic bowl. ::-)

I picked almost as much on Sunday and expect to be able to pick again at the weekend.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Chris S

« Reply #311 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:27:35 pm »
Broad Beans make me fart - more so than any other beans.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #312 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:33:57 pm »
Weeding!!  Lots and lots of weeding!

And (finally) put out the last of the seedlings: leeks and courgettes.

I've given up on ever having any sweetcorn.  And I picked the very first few sugar snap peas :D

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #313 on: 17 June, 2010, 09:40:51 pm »
Put in some supports for the vine I planted (I was given it as a present so had to put it in).
Mowed the paths either side (next door got evicted today, which hopefully means someone else will take it over and do the weeding).
Sowed some red veined sorrel, am interested to see what that'll be like.

Bad news on the home front, my hedgehog (mine because it lives under my shed, I think) drowned in next door's water feature (they have a channel running diagonally across the garden). I am really sad about this, it always made me smile when I saw the hedgehog scuttling about.

« Reply #314 on: 17 June, 2010, 10:56:23 pm »
my hedgehog (mine because it lives under my shed, I think) drowned in next door's water feature (they have a channel running diagonally across the garden). I am really sad about this, it always made me smile when I saw the hedgehog scuttling about

Poor hedgepig  :(

« Reply #315 on: 21 June, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »
Picked another trug full of broad beans this evening. About to start a late night of bean shelling, blanching and freezing.

Had new potatoes for tea yesterday & today.  :D

« Reply #316 on: 23 June, 2010, 06:01:55 pm »
Admired my baby tomatoes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #317 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:45:49 pm »
Watered, weeded, cut some lettuce and lovage.

« Reply #318 on: 24 June, 2010, 10:31:32 pm »
Weeded, watered and planted some celery plants that a neighbour had left over.

To accompany the chicken breasts we had for tea, we had new potatoes, carrots, broad beans and the last of the asparagus - all from the allotment.  :smug:

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #319 on: 30 June, 2010, 11:03:06 pm »
Watered, cut some salad and fed the midges.

Si

« Reply #320 on: 01 July, 2010, 09:26:11 am »
first early spuds of the year.

Lady Crystl. 

Basic boiled spuds is something that I just don't get on with - at the very least they have to be covered in butter or gravy to make them palatable. But these Lady Crystls - well, I can just stand there eating them straight out of the saucepan.  In fact I think that I over did it a bit last night and should probably exchange my trousers for a moo-moo.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #321 on: 05 July, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »
We made pesto from the enormous amount of basil we have and the garlic scapes. Lovely.

« Reply #322 on: 05 July, 2010, 05:35:06 pm »
At the weekend, I lifted shallots and replaced them with tomato plants.

Now harvesting: courgettes, french & runner beans, carrots, beetroot, spinach, spring onions, new potatoes. First cucumber will be ready before the end of the week, and tomatoes in the greenhouse should be turning soon.

Will be lifting garlic sometime this week, and onions in a week or two.

« Reply #323 on: 05 July, 2010, 05:38:18 pm »
Will be lifting garlic sometime this week

how do you know when Garlic is ready to lift, WJ?  Mine looks perky from above but I've been fooled before...

« Reply #324 on: 05 July, 2010, 05:41:51 pm »
I used to lift mine a week after the old guy on the next plot (who had been there 40 years) lifted his. Unfortunately he died last year - so it's guesswork.   :(

I may check the books/t'internet before I lift them.  :-\