Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 252642 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #375 on: 07 February, 2011, 04:07:18 pm »
Pruned my vine which was planted last year. Hope I've done it right as I found the books very hard to decipher what to do, there being so many different types of layout. Have gone for a multiple cordon, I think.

« Reply #376 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:14:20 pm »
Spread 2 tons of horse sh*t over everything.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #377 on: 20 February, 2011, 12:23:35 pm »
I'm just back from getting an allotment. I've been waiting nearly eight years for one or another and had a choice of two plots on what seems like a really friendly and helpful site and picked the one with small shed and small greenhouse for not very much on top of the rent.
The greenhouse needs a serious fettle but will come good.

:)

« Reply #378 on: 20 February, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »
Been busy pruning some trees at the back of my garden this morning , going to sow a few herb seeds this afternoon.

;D
Rich

« Reply #379 on: 20 February, 2011, 04:59:20 pm »
Rhubarb split and one portion passed to a neighbour
More seeds moved from heated propagators to the greenhouse
blackcurrant and gooseberry pruned
A little tidying

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #380 on: 20 February, 2011, 06:22:14 pm »
Likewise split my rhubarb and gave some bits away.

Put some frames over one of my beds to warm the soil a bit.

Planted some more comfrey bits in the shady area.

Si

« Reply #381 on: 21 February, 2011, 03:47:01 pm »
Been to Wilkos to get the Desiree seed spuds, and am using the let overs of last years Lady Cristl for the 1st early seed spuds (considering they are £7 a bag I think that it's worth a go).  All sat there happily chitting in the shed now.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #382 on: 26 February, 2011, 01:08:45 am »
I, too, am chitting.

Planted some more comfrey bits. Rocket fuel, here I come.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #383 on: 26 February, 2011, 06:00:56 pm »
Made a new herb garden nearer the back door.

Did a bit more digging but was saved by the rain and driven indoors.

« Reply #384 on: 02 March, 2011, 04:10:42 pm »
Cut lawns, pricked out onions, put broad beans in frame to harden off and errected 4ft by 30ft cloche over a deep bed that had been covered by a sheet of polythene for the last month, lovely tilth now.
Next week broad beans will go under cloche and potatoes (Maris Bard) will be planted with a view to harvesting fron mid May depending on the weather.
The advantage of the early beans is to get them before the black fly do. I used to sow the autumn variety Aquadulce, but to be honest I find the texture a bit mealy and this method works as well.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #385 on: 06 March, 2011, 06:09:28 pm »
Bought some seed potatoes to chit. And some seaweed meal and poultry manure.
Dug in the horse manure which had been lying on the top of two of my beds over the winter, the others I'll do another day. Found more bindweed and horse tail roots whilst doing this.  :demon:

border-rider

« Reply #386 on: 06 March, 2011, 07:59:33 pm »
Bought 7 fruit trees:

1 apple
2 pears
1 Mirabelle
1 Cherry
1 Mulberry
1 Medlar

We already have a motley collection of ancient apples trees of all sorts of never-before-seen identities, and some damson trees.

We've got some ornamental chestnuts & a Corsican oak that we grew from gathered nuts/.acorn that moved in pots with us also.

Much digging to be done this week.

Pancho

« Reply #387 on: 06 March, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »
1. Another veggie patch bed dug.

As per another thread, I'm setting aside a couple of beds to experiment with "no dig" gardening (I have no expectations of success) and will be layering up with (bike (of course)) boxes this week.

2. A bonfire

3. Mowing

4. Digging 3 feet depth of leaf mould in the woods and spreading it on the beds to sustainably keep down weeds and fertilise.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #388 on: 13 March, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
The polytunnel is up!   :thumbsup:

Today my tasks are to dig over the last part of the allotment and to plant some carrots and spinach.  I also need to mulch the fruit bushes.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #389 on: 13 March, 2011, 03:13:02 pm »
Well, last part of the plot has been dug over again.  I've also mulched the fruit bushes.

I'll leace planting the carrots and spinach for a couple of weeks.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #390 on: 13 March, 2011, 07:36:33 pm »
Last week I rotovated all of the unplanted ground. This weekend I planted shallots, parsnips, carrots, beetroot and spring onions.

Broad beans that were sown in the greenhouse are now out 'hardening off'

The peas I planted in the greenhouse have all been eaten by mice.  >:(

Planted more peas and sealled the trays inside big plastic bags.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #391 on: 14 March, 2011, 04:25:02 pm »
Buried the rabbit, between the rhubarb/redcurrant section and the empty bed that's too dry and shady for veg (under a judas tree).  And planted out a vigorous bay tree.

Pancho

« Reply #392 on: 14 March, 2011, 05:14:22 pm »
Prepared asparagus bed.

Created experimental no-dig bed.

Mowed.

Had bonfire.

Started seeds on windowsills.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #393 on: 14 March, 2011, 09:06:49 pm »
Put in a row of spuds (Pentland Javelin).

Planted several rows of broad beans.

Dug over part of my neighbour's plot.

At home planted some sweetcorn to get them going.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #394 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
Planted a row each of beetroot, parsnips and turnips. If they come up great, or I'll just sow again.
Planted them into freshly sieved soil, which makes getting the depth for the smaller seeds much easier.

Pancho

« Reply #395 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:26:48 pm »
Planted a row each of beetroot, parsnips and turnips. If they come up great, or I'll just sow again.
Planted them into freshly sieved soil, which makes getting the depth for the smaller seeds much easier.

My soil is full of gravel and stones; digging is something like driving a spade into your drive. Once things are going, they grow pretty well really (and my long term programme of pouring on leaf mould helps) but planting is a nightmare of lost seeds. This year I am experimenting with sieved soil and, in the case of parsnips, starting them in bog rolls and then planting in their ultimate location.

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #396 on: 16 March, 2011, 11:31:16 pm »
Yet another day cutting a row of 50ft high sycamores into manageable pieces before they begin to get into leaf (the sap is rising; I may loose the race...).

Memo: think carefully before planing species that will, in a mere 30-odd years, grown ginormous. Your children, if they live in the same house after your day, will thank you.

Si

« Reply #397 on: 17 March, 2011, 12:06:42 pm »
Spent an hour trying to unravel my endless* ball of string so that I could mark out my spud and radish rows.  I felt that I ought to make the effort as it's famous string - it's been on TV!

But by the time that I'd unravelled it I was too cold and knackered to plant anything apart from a few radishes.

* well actually it turned out to have seven ends

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #398 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:54:28 pm »
Must be a big plot to have endless rows of spuds and radishes! (or maybe they're in a circle...?)

« Reply #399 on: 20 March, 2011, 05:49:48 pm »
Finally got some spuds in, and dug over the other half of the spud patch. Got the Broad Beenz in, as well as three rows of beetroot.
Investigated inside the falling-down-greenhouse  :o  which I nw find only has half a roof, and the 'potting bench' is actually a bedstead  :-\  . There's a tree growing inside, which has been tied to the rafters at some point, so maybe it's going to produce something?
On our last visit I discovered that I'd inherited a row of healthy looking, but quite old, raspberries. I found them just after I'd planted my own ones. Raspberries with everything later?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.