Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 251869 times)

Tail End Charlie

Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #450 on: 01 May, 2011, 09:59:06 pm »
Sowed some rocket, beetroot and some mangetout to fill in the gaps where the first planting hasn't come up. 
Watered things with a weak comfrey feed.
Lettuce and kale at home in greenhouse doing well, as are the various beans and squashes I've planted.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #451 on: 02 May, 2011, 01:06:39 am »
Did a hell of a lot of weeding...  :-\

Had the first of the lettuces from the polytunnel to accompany dinner.  :thumbsup:

Radishes are coming on nicely - and the beets aren't far behind.

But my aubergines are looking a bit forlorn...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #452 on: 02 May, 2011, 01:05:30 pm »
Today we planted a lychee tree, a red pawpaw (papaya) and a passionfruit vine.
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Regulator

« Reply #453 on: 02 May, 2011, 03:34:56 pm »

Ooh - which sort of passionfruit?  We used to have several banana passionfruit vines in the garden in NZ and one of my abiding memories is passionfruit that's just been picked...  :P

Green Party Councillor

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #454 on: 02 May, 2011, 05:17:41 pm »
Started work  on our new plot yesterday - it's relatively easy to de-weed (unlike the old one).

Planted potatoes, garlic, onions and rhubarb.

« Reply #455 on: 02 May, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »
Planted out all the peas and sweet peas.

Forgot that there were edible ones mixed in with the ornamental ones.  :facepalm:

Guess I'll have to wait until they flower to see which are which.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #456 on: 04 May, 2011, 01:49:48 pm »
Pulled out as much bindweed and couch as I could be bothered with.
Earthed up some potatoes, and admired the broad beans.
Did lots of watering.
Nuked the bindweed and couch around the edges of the plot, and on the bed that I'm going to 'getaround to digging soon'.
Eat Lidl blueberry muffins
Drank fizzy pop.
Watched the cloudless sky. (And very quietly wished for rain..... but only at night)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #457 on: 04 May, 2011, 09:24:46 pm »
B****cks, my sweetcorn has succumbed to the last couple of cold nights (and windy cold days) despite being fleeced up. Still, I knew I was risking it putting it out so early.
Got a few still in the g/house to go out and planted some more seeds today.

Everything else looks OK though, the potatoes will recover.

Regulator

« Reply #458 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:12:50 am »
Thinned out the lettuces that are absolutely flourishing in the polytunnel.  Which meant last night we had a large salad for tea...

Unfortunately, the hot dry conditions means that my aubergines may be goners...  :(

Green Party Councillor

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #459 on: 07 May, 2011, 10:07:02 pm »
Well - over the last couple of weekends we've got most of the seeds in, repotted the old herbs and potted up some new ones (rosemary, more chives and some replacement thyme), plus a geranium.  Just french beans to go in and build the wormery, which could be an excuse to get a couple more plants ('cos we got to carry the last lot home in a tray just made for replacing the base of the boxes I've got for that project).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #460 on: 07 May, 2011, 10:19:10 pm »
Cleared a lot of weeds with TGL, and planted some spuds.  Not sure how much chance they will have, as I disturbed an ants nest which seems to have been established in the bed since I built it.

Discovered the pumpkin shoot has been eaten through.  I think this was slugs rather than ants, though :(

Beans, carrots and onions are doing particularly well. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #461 on: 09 May, 2011, 01:23:35 am »

Ooh - which sort of passionfruit?  We used to have several banana passionfruit vines in the garden in NZ and one of my abiding memories is passionfruit that's just been picked...  :P

I had to check.  It's called a Panama Red but the picture looks like the ordinary purple ones to me!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #462 on: 14 May, 2011, 10:36:38 pm »
Weeded.

Inspected fruit trees. I reckon we'll get loads this year. Ditto nuts from the walnut and hazel trees.

spindrift

« Reply #463 on: 14 May, 2011, 10:42:10 pm »
Today I squished 5 lily beetles until their guts came out.

Repotted a bamboo that was utterly potbound, the roots had whizzed round and round the pot so I mixed potting compost 50-50 with horticultural grit and planted it in a much larger pot than the one it's been in for ten years. I used the same mixture to do lavender and rosemary cuttings, I went to a garden show at the Norfolk Showground last weekend and they were selling farty little lavender cuttings 3 inches tall for £2.45. I thought "Sod that" and did 450 cuttings. If half make it...

On another gardening forum I read about a chap who had a couple of acres and some poly tunnels near a main road. Last year he did enough heather cuttings to sell £60k worth, working full time. Classic FM on, cup of tea, snip, prune, tear off lower leaves, dip in water, dip in hormone rooting powder, carefully plant, repeat 300,000 times. Not a bad life, eh?

« Reply #464 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
Harvested the first potatoes of the year. Just enough for the 3 of us on one root.
The first ones are just devine, dug up and in the pot within `10mins.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #465 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:44:40 pm »
Topped up some of the paths with newspaper and chippings.
Birds have had all my gooseberries. Serves me right for failing to net them.

spindrift

« Reply #466 on: 19 May, 2011, 10:11:11 pm »
We have had no rain for 100 days. I drenched some honeysuckles trained up the garage wall but everything is parched and no rain's on the horizon.

Si

« Reply #467 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:13:15 am »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm first new pots of the year.  didn't mean to harvest them but they just fell out the sides while I was earthing up.  Now I remember why I go to all this trouble to get spuds.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #468 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »
My spuds are just coming up.  Well, the one in the bean bed is storming away, but the ones in the potato bed are just coming up.

Carrots are getting nice & big on the shoulder, but are still very pale.  Parsnips are finally growing.  Cabbages are doing OK and lettuces are doing well.

But we didn't do much with the edible stuff today.  Instead, we borrowed our neighbour's lawnmower and strimmer and hacked away at the towering grass to find we do actually have a lawn.  She then mentioned that the ivy growing on the wall was causing her concern when she was driving out on to the road, so we set to and pulled it all down, and pruned back a pretty much dead tree.  No idea at all how we are going to get rid of the piles of ivy, but it felt good to have helped someone in return for her generosity. :)
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #469 on: 23 May, 2011, 10:00:09 am »
Potted some plants.  Started building the wormery.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #470 on: 28 May, 2011, 12:45:29 am »
Everything looks very battered with the wind. Some of my beans have had their leaves ripped off. Time to plant some more.
Put straw round the strawberries and netted them.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #471 on: 28 May, 2011, 11:41:59 am »
Planted three rows of swedes (note for northerners and jocks: not turnips).

Never had any joy with them before but try and try again and all that.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #472 on: 28 May, 2011, 01:18:25 pm »
Over 4 weeks ago I planted:

Garlic chives
Red Basil
Butternut Squish
Broad beans
Runner beans
Tomatoes

All as seeds.

Looking round the garden this morning I have, growing:
1 squish
5 tomato plants
3 garlic chives
a metric shitload of weeds....

Maybe I should have planted weed seeds, in the hope I got wild tomato, squash and beans growing?

Today I have planted some spuds in bukkits.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

corshamjim

« Reply #473 on: 28 May, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »
I had some seeds planted in bog-rolls filled with compost on the kitchen windowsill, but they got a bit mouldy and smelly.   In the interest of matrimonial harmony today I inexpertly self-assembled a flat-pack cold frame from the local garden centre so the seedlings can all go outside.

Tomorrow I plan to move the compost bin from the garden to the allotment which will make room for the cold frame.

« Reply #474 on: 28 May, 2011, 06:23:21 pm »
Built a brassica cage from pieces of old aluminium tent pole, re-used plastic tube (redundant from a previous project of my Dad's), some old clothes line and some plastic mesh. Feeling highly pleased with the result. Followed up by planting out cabbage, cauli and kale seedlings.