Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 857117 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #2925 on: 12 November, 2013, 11:32:15 pm »
What's striking in that list of core words from Palari/palare/polari/whatever is how many of them have entered mainstream English. "Send up" isn't even slang, is it? The inclusion of "cod" to mean "awful" seems rather similar to "codswallop" and "cod piece" and other fishy slang, which makes me wonder how much of that list actually originated as, er, this gay slang beginning with P.
It's like hipsters are trying to appropriate Queer culture

Didn't the Queers appropriate it from the Punch & Judy men?

Quite.  Even the name Palare indicates that it's a magpie language, using elements of foreign languages - some picked up on the newly fashionable foreign holidays, some from immigrant communities in London (notably Yiddish), Cockney rhyming slang, backslang from the market porters etc etc.
Yiddish is causing me quandaries right now. I'm reading some short stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer and each one is translated from the Yiddish by a different person in a different way. This is fine when purely Yiddish or Hebrew terms are used, as I don't know them anyway! But most of the stories are set in Frampol, which is a real town in Poland - I've never been there but I lived in the region and I've been to lots of the places mentioned. So in one story we have Zamosc and in another Zamoshoh. The first is the Polish spelling, bar diacritics, but the second - is that a reproduction of the Yiddish pronunciation? Is the "oh" a misprint for "ch"? Does Yanover refer to the town of Janów or possibly to Janówa or even Janowo? Almost certainly the first as it's the next town but the others are far away. Not really a problem and the logic of presenting Janów as Yanover for an English-speaking audience who don't know the places is clear - but then a word like halacha is used, which apparently is something to do with Jewish religious law - is that "halatcha" as if it was English or "halakha" as if it was written in Polish? Or maybe something else?

Not really grammar, more like marketing! and the stories are good anyway!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2926 on: 13 November, 2013, 02:32:05 pm »
Halacha is indeed Jewish Law and practice.
It is derived from the Hebrew verb for 'to walk'.

It's rather moot discussing spelling when a word has travelled from Hebrew to English via Polish and Yiddish (and quite probably several others en route) when these languages have different script systems. Yiddish was mostly written using Hebrew script for a middle European language1, to stymie censors.

1) Known pejoratively as 'schlechtes Deutsch' by Jews in Germany.

« Reply #2927 on: 13 November, 2013, 03:03:27 pm »
So in one story we have Zamosc and in another Zamoshoh. The first is the Polish spelling, bar diacritics, but the second - is that a reproduction of the Yiddish pronunciation? Is the "oh" a misprint for "ch"?

If you do a Google Books search on Zamoshoh you'll see that the Singer story is the only place this spelling appears, so it's clearly a misprint, and your guess that it was supposed to be Zamoshch seems plausible: Wikipedia says that the Yiddish for Zamość is Zamoshtsh.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2928 on: 13 November, 2013, 05:43:39 pm »
I think there are two ways you can go, at least with the place names: you can use the conventional Polish spelling or you can transliterate the Yiddish into something that represents the pronunciation to an English speaker. The first is accurate, checkable and reproducible, but doesn't really help most people reading the stories; the second is vague and subjective but potentially more comprehensible to the average reader. Lack of consistency is a problem and both rely on knowing what the original name is. Sometimes the inconsistency is in the source - I've encountered this problem with Japanese names in Polish documents I've been translating into English. Have they been declined as if they were Polish? Sometimes they have, sometimes not, and sometimes they've been transliterated into an English spelling - which then might have been subjected to Polish declinations! If you're not familiar with the original it can be easy to accidentally mangle a name.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2929 on: 13 November, 2013, 07:35:57 pm »
I think there are two ways you can go, at least with the place names: you can use the conventional Polish spelling or you can transliterate the Yiddish into something that represents the pronunciation to an English speaker. The first is accurate, checkable and reproducible, but doesn't really help most people reading the stories; the second is vague and subjective but potentially more comprehensible to the average reader. Lack of consistency is a problem and both rely on knowing what the original name is. Sometimes the inconsistency is in the source - I've encountered this problem with Japanese names in Polish documents I've been translating into English. Have they been declined as if they were Polish? Sometimes they have, sometimes not, and sometimes they've been transliterated into an English spelling - which then might have been subjected to Polish declinations! If you're not familiar with the original it can be easy to accidentally mangle a name.

This is often a problem for genealogists when names have been transliterated by generations of wandering Jews.
In Israel, people's names are given in Hebrew, sometimes with no reference to any European spelling, which might have remained consistent despite multiple changes in pronunciation. Much information can be lost this way; there are many ways to pronounce 'Goldstein'.

« Reply #2930 on: 14 November, 2013, 01:48:44 pm »
My sons personal statement for UCAS. Full of commas in the wrong places, incorrect use of apostrophes, semicolons sprinkled in seemingly at random and incorrect capitalisations of the first letter of words. Worse it had been run past his tutor and the head of year both of whom had pronounced it excellent. Perhaps they should run them all past the head of English as well ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2931 on: 14 November, 2013, 02:34:46 pm »
My sons personal statement for UCAS. Full of commas in the wrong places, incorrect use of apostrophes, semicolons sprinkled in seemingly at random and incorrect capitalisations of the first letter of words. Worse it had been run past his tutor and the head of year both of whom had pronounced it excellent. Perhaps they should run them all past the head of English as well ....
chip off the old block?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2932 on: 14 November, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »
chip off the old block?

Oh hell !
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2933 on: 14 November, 2013, 02:39:37 pm »
Oh he'll what? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #2934 on: 17 November, 2013, 06:14:15 pm »
chip off the old block?

Oh hell !
Fine, as long as you're consistent. There's no good reason for the possessive apostrophe. Refusing to use it didn't stop me getting a grade one English language O level, back in the days of six passing grades.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2935 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:08:20 am »
Uggh! It's ugly but your rewriting alters the meaning - the comma after technology implies Apple should not have ownership over any technology. In practice both are clear in meaning though. I'm already cringing at myself.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2936 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:18:58 am »
'such as'?
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2937 on: 22 November, 2013, 10:43:40 am »
2) Speech marks for emphasis.

Surely the speech marks are there because it's a quote?

Anyway, while I'm here...

Good.

As in: "How are you?" "I'm good."

I dare say Gareth will be along in a minute to cite some 17th-century example of good being used as an adverb, and I've already accepted that it's a battle not worth fighting, but it still grates somewhat.

(The earliest example that springs readily to my mind is James Brown. I admit that "I feel well" wouldn't have quite the same ring to it.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2938 on: 22 November, 2013, 11:11:38 am »
"I feel well" implies, to me, that your health is good, whereas "I feel good" is an emotional state. Similarly "I'm good" would once have anticipated "...at [activity]". I reckon it's the slow death of the adverb. Run quick, walk slow.

« Reply #2939 on: 22 November, 2013, 11:13:00 am »
I annoy my children in lots of ways, but one of them is to say that I'll be the judge of their morality when they answer 'good' to a 'How are you?'.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2940 on: 22 November, 2013, 11:18:26 am »
Do you also give them absolution when they say "My bad"?  :D

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2941 on: 22 November, 2013, 11:42:06 am »
I annoy my children in lots of ways, but one of them is to say that I'll be the judge of their morality when they answer 'good' to a 'How are you?'.

He's not joking.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

red marley

« Reply #2942 on: 22 November, 2013, 11:51:32 am »
Extra grumpy points for using "I'm good" to indicate that you do not wish to receive a refill* of your beverage* of choice by your server* this morning*.

* Give me surly European cafe culture over US below-minimum-wage-I-need-tips-to-survive imperialism any day.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2943 on: 22 November, 2013, 11:53:52 am »
Heh. I seem to have touched a nerve with that one.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2944 on: 23 November, 2013, 01:06:54 am »
I tease children with the good/well substitution which has become current newspeak.

Doubleplusunwell = sickasaparrot.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2945 on: 25 November, 2013, 11:18:34 am »
An email circulated today, at work:

Subject: Christmas Tree's

Please note that the Christmas Tree’s will now be installed on Tuesday 26th November starting in $LOCATION_1* from 06.30am and in $LOCATION_2* about 10.00am.

*Locations changed to protect the innocent :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

red marley

« Reply #2946 on: 25 November, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »
I think that's legitimate if the tree's bought from a greengrocer's shop.

« Reply #2947 on: 25 November, 2013, 12:59:15 pm »

As a parent who habitually responds with 'is that like safely or actually safely? In what way is it like?' I would happily appropriate that.

Except that I use it myself.  :-[

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2948 on: 25 November, 2013, 01:00:31 pm »
I thought you plant trees. Does installing them imply that these are software trees?

I think you have to have root privileges to do that.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2949 on: 25 November, 2013, 01:31:36 pm »
Not exactly grammar, but pretentious types who end a comment with 'plus ca change...' when they mean ''twas ever thus' . Often seen on CiF.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly