Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 857217 times)

ian

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #3825 on: 21 October, 2015, 09:30:32 am »
Yet despite being dead, his recording output hasn't diminished. If anything he's been more productive.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3826 on: 21 October, 2015, 04:37:31 pm »
Article about translated subtitles: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/oct/21/the-returned-spiral-the-killing-subtitle
Interesting that they seem to be translating and subtitling in one. We used to create subtitles first and then translate them. This had the disadvantage that you were subtitling something that was already a precis and often without context (Hollywood paranoia meaning translators weren't always allowed access to the video and audio) but did mean the translators only had to translate, the timing and simplification was done for them.

The technical side is not always quite as straightforward as they say. The number of characters and rows and their position on the screen depend on the font, which is chosen by the studio and/or broadcaster, and the purpose of the subs (whether for the hard of hearing, for instance). Also, whether you translate visuals.

As for translating names and words that are in other languages, that's a minefield. Our house policy was to completely ignore words in foreign languages. IMO this was wrong – if it wasn't meant to be understood or at least convey something, it wouldn't be there. So 'bonjour' is worth subbing IMO because it's well understood by most English speakers but not necessarily by others. Also, SDH would need to know that some foreign language was being spoken even if it was incomprehensible. But hey, policy is policy and it can't always make sense!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3827 on: 21 October, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »
Yet despite being dead, his recording output hasn't diminished. If anything he's been more productive.

He share an agent with Buddy Holly?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3828 on: 21 October, 2015, 06:48:34 pm »
Thanks to the efforts of the sub-titlers I now know that the Scandiwegian word "Hallo" means "Hallo".  Or "Hello".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3829 on: 21 October, 2015, 06:55:12 pm »
Thanks to the efforts of the sub-titlers I now know that the Scandiwegian word "Hallo" means "Hallo".  Or "Hello".

Hullo!  I never knew that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3830 on: 21 October, 2015, 07:37:39 pm »
Having a cousin who is a Scandiwegian film director and getting to see many of her films, it seems they often don't bother subbing English speech and assume Danes understand enough Swedish (and vice versa) to switch seamlessly between various Scandiwegian tongues.

« Reply #3831 on: 21 October, 2015, 11:21:21 pm »
I recall watching Swedish programmes on Danish TV in the 1970s - with English subtitles.

One of my proudest moments back then was spotting a mistake in the Danish subtitles of a British sitcom.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3832 on: 22 October, 2015, 09:21:03 am »
You thought it was a mistake, the subtitlers might have thought it was the best compromise between conveying the meaning and fitting in with the technical demands of the medium! One of the advantages of dubbing is that it isn't restricted in the same way.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3833 on: 22 October, 2015, 12:45:23 pm »
Saw one recently where every time the word "fils" was said in French the word "wires" appeared in English, e.g. in a sentence such as "your wires got my daughter pregnant".

« Reply #3834 on: 22 October, 2015, 01:50:06 pm »
You thought it was a mistake, the subtitlers might have thought it was the best compromise between conveying the meaning and fitting in with the technical demands of the medium! One of the advantages of dubbing is that it isn't restricted in the same way.
Nope. Plain & simple mistranslation because the English was misunderstood. Danish doesn't do it the same, & I assume the translator hadn't encountered that particular Englishism. It's the sort of thing lessons probably wouldn't cover. Short phrase, accurate translation of which would have fitted into the subtitles very easily.

Q. "What's the time?"
A. "22".

I think you can work out what it should have been.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3835 on: 22 October, 2015, 01:58:43 pm »
Saw one recently where every time the word "fils" was said in French the word "wires" appeared in English, e.g. in a sentence such as "your wires got my daughter pregnant".
:facepalm: I think that's gone beyond translation error or any linguistic issue into simply not paying any attention to what you're doing.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3836 on: 22 October, 2015, 02:16:32 pm »
Nope. Plain & simple mistranslation because the English was misunderstood. Danish doesn't do it the same, & I assume the translator hadn't encountered that particular Englishism. It's the sort of thing lessons probably wouldn't cover. Short phrase, accurate translation of which would have fitted into the subtitles very easily.

Q. "What's the time?"
A. "22".

I think you can work out what it should have been.
Ah. At first I though you meant that was a mistake in translating subs from Danish to English, in which case I can see at least two ways it could have occurred (translator proficient in English but unfamiliar with usage beyond railway timetables, or studio/TV channel being tight – some of them are unbelievably so) but in either case, it sounds odd but doesn't change the meaning. But I've realised you mean from English to Danish, which is actually quite a funny mistake (and also probably a result of unfamiliarity with usage as distinct from language).  :D

« Reply #3837 on: 22 October, 2015, 02:27:23 pm »
Yes, I'm sure that was it: unfamiliarity with that particular usage.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3838 on: 22 October, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »
Could be unfamiliarity with "twenty to" or even with not using the 24-hr clock, but actually lack of context could also be a factor. It would probably be obvious, if you had the video, if it's not 10pm, but not if the translator's not given that visual context. Again, the initial mistake could be nothing to do with the translator but a mishearing (or misunderstanding) by someone creating English subtitles. It all depends on the process used, but someone involved being unfamiliar with that usage does seem a likelihood.

« Reply #3839 on: 23 October, 2015, 03:35:47 pm »
But surely it's not just unfamiliarity with the usage "twenty-to;" it also implies unfamiliarity with any time-related usage. I've *never* heard an English-speaker say "twenty two" when they mean 10pm. They might say "twenty two hundred" or "twenty two hundred hours," they might have said "twenty two fifteen" if it was quarter of an hour later.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3840 on: 23 October, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
That reminds me of a conversation I overheard in Montreal. What I overheard was in English between two Anglophone Canadians but was reporting a misunderstanding one of them had had with a Francophone – whether that was in French or English, I'm not sure, but a meeting had been arranged for "seven", which the Anglophone assumed meant 7 p.m., whereas the Francophone, being used to thinking in 24-hour clock, had meant 7 a.m.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3841 on: 23 October, 2015, 04:51:45 pm »
And the confusing German habit of saying "half seven" when they mean six-thirty.

Working in Germany, I got so used to this that the English meaning now seems strange; so I no longer use it.

« Reply #3842 on: 23 October, 2015, 06:28:52 pm »
You have reminded me of the French fellow who, asked the time (in English), replied (in English) "two to two".  He paused, then said, "it sounds strange does it not, 'two to two'".   One of those odd idiosyncrasies of English usage.

« Reply #3843 on: 23 October, 2015, 06:38:57 pm »

The joys of translation are endless! I once bought a shirt that was made in Turkey. The shirt was properly labeled, in french, "Fabriqué en Dinde".

« Reply #3844 on: 23 October, 2015, 08:00:52 pm »
And the confusing German habit of saying "half seven" when they mean six-thirty.

Aye - the need to establish whether there's a silent 'before' or a silent 'after' in the phrase ...

« Reply #3845 on: 23 October, 2015, 11:33:17 pm »
Not only German. Norse, too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3846 on: 24 October, 2015, 08:58:51 am »

The joys of translation are endless! I once bought a shirt that was made in Turkey. The shirt was properly labeled, in french, "Fabriqué en Dinde".

Magnificent!

Back when my wife was starting her translation business she was sent an already-translated restaurant menu to proof-read.  For "escalope de volaille" the translator had put "fowl collop".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3847 on: 24 October, 2015, 01:53:49 pm »
[OT] Chicken schnitzel, as I described David's Pollo Milanese to our Romanian cleaning lady yesterday.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3848 on: 24 October, 2015, 03:59:00 pm »
Thought Chicken Schnitzel was that place in Mexico with the pyramids.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3849 on: 24 October, 2015, 06:47:18 pm »
Thought Chicken Schnitzel was that place in Mexico with the pyramids.

You're thinking of Chicken Pizza.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: