Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 857157 times)

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #4525 on: 29 March, 2017, 04:24:40 pm »
I think that most of what I proofread & polish the English of (it's almost all translations from Japanese) probably never touches paper.

Same here, which is largely down to modern working practices - ie we're not all in the same office any more but working from home.

I still prefer proofreading on paper but there's no point when you can't pass the marked proof back across the desk to the person who will be taking in the corrections. Although I do sometimes get sent pdfs of scanned documents with proofing marks on them.

Kids these days probably don't even know what a galley is, amirite?

You are. And they can't fucking well align columns.

For my sins, I have to write in American as it's our house style.
The stuff I work on is mostly in USian, but not 100%. Some of it involves international agencies which use English, & the Japanese government stuff is often in English, dating back to when they first started talking to foreign gubbinments, I think. I've checked letters from ministers to foreign governments (no-security form letters of thanks consisting of a bit of boilerplate customised for the occasion) & IIRC the standard text has always been in English. But a lot of internal & local govt. stuff is in USian.

Corporate Japanese stuff is pretty much all in USian, as is most academic. They don't 'correct' quoted English to USian, though, as I've seen in US stuff. If their English is good enough to notice the English spellings it's good enough to know what they are.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4526 on: 29 March, 2017, 09:46:00 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/23/more-than-half-australian-snake-bite-deaths-since-2000-occurred-at-victims-home

You'd have thought they would have learned not to visit him, wouldn't you?

I think that's fine - only one victim per bite.

"Victims' home" would also imply that they all lived together.

Surely should be "victims' homes".

Edit: I was talking about the headline rather than the wording of the link.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4527 on: 29 March, 2017, 11:16:56 pm »

Could be. I think either is fine.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4528 on: 29 March, 2017, 11:53:26 pm »
"More than half Australian snake bite deaths since 2000 occurred at victim’s home" implies one victim and one home. I think they definitely meant more than one victim and more than one home, so neither should be singular.

citoyen

« Reply #4529 on: 30 March, 2017, 07:28:45 am »
implies one victim and one home

...for each incident.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4530 on: 30 March, 2017, 08:53:10 am »
implies one victim and one home

...for each incident.

Well, I have to say I laughed when I read it, and when I showed it to Mrs. Wow and Dez so did they.

Come on, Citoyen! If you are going to be a grammar pedant you have got to do it properly!

citoyen

« Reply #4531 on: 30 March, 2017, 05:59:18 pm »
Come on, Citoyen! If you are going to be a grammar pedant you have got to do it properly!

Oh, but I am! I'm next level.

"Victim's home" is logically correct because each incident has a single victim and a single location.

"Victims' homes" could be taken to mean that each incident had multiple victims and/or multiple locations.

Compare and contrast:
Men with red noses
Men with a red nose
Men with broken arms
Men with a broken arm

HTH  ;)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4532 on: 30 March, 2017, 07:15:11 pm »
I haven't got a leg to stand on with this grumble because the usage is perfectly correct, but it stills grates.  The use of, "train station" instead of, "railway station".  An age thing I suppose.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #4533 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:08:41 am »
And "next station stop" in onboard announcements. Why not just "next stop" or "next station"?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4534 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:15:19 am »
I take that to be a case of excessive exactitude for the sake of arse-covering. The train might stop somewhere that's not a station and it might pass through stations where it does not stop.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #4535 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:20:29 am »
And "next station stop" in onboard announcements. Why not just "next stop" or "next station"?

Well, journeys on Southern trains are often punctuated by stops that don't coincide with stations. I, for one, relish my regular opportunity to sit back and admire my surroundings. I once saw a rat in St Reatham that was so big it might have been an hippo in fancy dress (rodent cosplay is a literally big thing for hippos). And I'm not sure what happened to Anerley recently, but it now resembles Tunguska. Either a comet or an outbreak of angry Canadian lumberjacks.

Anyway, on Southern, your next stop is unlikely to be a station. And the next station might legitimately not be the one you stop at.

« Reply #4536 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:01:01 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/23/more-than-half-australian-snake-bite-deaths-since-2000-occurred-at-victims-home

You'd have thought they would have learned not to visit him, wouldn't you?

I think that's fine - only one victim per bite.

"Victims' home" would also imply that they all lived together.

Edit: I was talking about the headline rather than the wording of the link.

Anyhow why did so many of them choose to die at home rather than hospital, wherever the actual bite occurred?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4537 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:23:21 am »
Our Media-Digesters do it again

The Herald p12-13 (p3): A hotel is set to be built on Drake’s island near Portsmouth after finally getting planning permission, and neither EPA or the MOD have no objections to the scheme.

So, objections all round, then. ::-) :facepalm:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4538 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:24:11 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #4540 on: 03 April, 2017, 02:42:14 pm »
The Herald p12-13 (p3): A hotel is set to be built on Drake’s island near Portsmouth after finally getting planning permission, and neither EPA or the MOD have no objections to the scheme.
I can spot four there...

« Reply #4541 on: 09 April, 2017, 05:43:32 pm »
Spotted today on a construction site banner: "The Sport, Health and Wellbeing facility will transform the Universitys campus with a new, state-of-the-art building..."

I'd expect better from a university. :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4542 on: 09 April, 2017, 05:59:25 pm »
Spotted today on a construction site banner: "The Sport, Health and Wellbeing facility will transform the Universitys campus with a new, state-of-the-art building..."

I'd expect better from a university. :facepalm:

The Stupid Union are known as such for a broadly similar reason...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4543 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:37:17 am »
Ian Tregillis is an entertaining writer, but his vocabulary doesn't stretch as far as he thinks it does.  People and devices don't run over polished floors with surety unless they're in a hurry to placate a banker.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4544 on: 11 April, 2017, 12:28:50 pm »
Ian Tregillis is an entertaining writer, but his vocabulary doesn't stretch as far as he thinks it does.  People and devices don't run over polished floors with surety unless they're in a hurry to placate a banker.
That's what editors are for.

« Reply #4545 on: 12 April, 2017, 03:19:56 pm »
An announcement at London Bridge trainrailway station, earlier:

"Please use the lifts for access to the platforms. If you have heavy or bulky luggage, thank you for your cooperation."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4546 on: 26 April, 2017, 02:52:00 am »
It's a Great British export! The grocer's's apo'strophe has made its way into FORRIN!

It might not be clear on that scale, but that's a Polish advert offering, among other things, "cupcake's". Apostrophes are not normally used in Polish even for abbreviations, so they can only have taken it as the English spelling.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4547 on: 26 April, 2017, 08:45:17 am »
I wonder if the gentleman who figures on the poster above the cupcake'''''s contributed any ingredients, although to judge from the stoned expressions of the ethereal maidens beneath it was more likely the tea.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4548 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:29:07 am »
Quote from: BBC Radio 2
6 modern artists we wouldn't have without Ella Fitzgerald

That bit is iffy (six/6: I'm not a stickler), but this grates:

Discover who's sound has been influenced by the wonderful Ella Fitzgerald

Yeah, the repetition of the full name in a short heading is pretty clunky, too.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4549 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:34:49 am »
I wonder if the gentleman who figures on the poster above the cupcake'''''s contributed any ingredients, although to judge from the stoned expressions of the ethereal maidens beneath it was more likely the tea.
I think he might have contributed some of the colourings!